Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm gonna be in Philadelphia, NY,NY and DC next week... anyone on here have some knowledge of the best places to eat?

In philly I wanna find the best philly cheesesteak sandwich, in NY I wanna find the best place for new york-style cheesecake laugh

Tacks mentioned a place called John's for some great pizza, so that one's taken care of... any others I should look for? DC too?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Moderator / Kingpin
Moderator / Kingpin
Pat's King of Steaks on 1237 East Passyunk Ave in South Philadelphia is the real home of the original philly cheese steak. Geno's directly across the street from Pat's has a wider menu and is my personal favorite.

I'm not a cheesecake eater so I can't suggest some place for that. But Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe are two great restaurants that belong at the top of everyone's list of restaurants to go to in NYC. If you want some great seafood go to the Pearl Oyster Bar in Greenwich. For steaks go to Peter Luger Steak House in Brookyn.

In Washington Kinkeads is a fantastic! Otherwise, IMO you're better off going to Baltimore for dining.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks Steve laugh

We should have time to catch them all at some point, we'll be there from Sunday evening to Tuesday afternoon a week or so later -You'll get the bill from my cardiologist wink

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
If you're purely seeking cheesecake, then you should hit Junior's in Brooklyn; although I don't know whether or not it is worth the schlepp to Brooklyn, when there are plenty of other options in Manhattan. Same goes for Peter Luger's. If you go there, you're eating Porterhouse and bring cash, they only accept their house charge. If you want steak, you can easily hit Sparks, Palm, Smith & Wollenskys or any of the hundred other steakhouses and bust a gut and your wallet.

I would recommend a trip to the Carnegie Deli. Get yourself a huge Corned Beef/Pastrami sandwich (they charge extra for sharing, although eating one by yourself in one sitting is a feat), save room for desert, where you can get a slice of cheesecake the size of your head.

If you venture to China Town, Wo Hop (basement), dingy decor but good eats, although there are dozens of places you could try.

As for Little Italy, the San Gennaro festival is going on from Sept. 16-26. Warning: it will be extremely, extremely crowded!!! But, it's a lot of fun, and you'll have a hard time deciding what to eat next. Get yourself a nice Sausage and Pepper Hero, and a bag of zeppole. If you want to get away from the crowd, have a Cappuccino and a Cannoli at Ferrera's. If you want to sit down and eat there are dozens of resteraunts on Mullberry St.

The best bagel in NY (imo) is Ess-a-Bagel. The Soup Nazi won't be open until later this fall. Other good pizza choices (besides John's), are Totonos, Lombardis, Patsy's and Grimaldi's (worth the trip across the Brooklyn bridge).

Steve brings up a good point. Baltimore is famous for their crabs.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Excellent laugh I think I'll be gaining weight over the next 2 weeks... we better walk a lot laugh

Oh, we're seeing "The Producers" wednesday night at the St. James Theater - any of the above restaurants appropriate for a theater night? I'm guessing we'll be dressing up a bit for a night on Broadway yay Maybe an early dinner with cappucino and dessert afterwards might be best smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Master Hacker
Master Hacker

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
None of the above are within a reasonable distance of the theatre district. The reason I recommended John's Pizza, is because it is practically next door to the theatre and the pizza is excellent. Everyone tries to get into Carmine's (family style italian rest), but it is mobbed and you can't get a reservation for before/after an evening show.

An alternative we like is Cafe Un Deux Trois (123) - French Bistro, which is also on 44th, but east of Broadway.

John's is definitely more casual (although it is in a converted cathedral, which is neat - the temple of zza'). 123 is a nice date place.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
merci et grazi, we'll prolly check them all out laugh

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63