Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
My site is 3.2 gb (large gallery), and I am having a lot of trouble with my host. I have an affordable plan for unlimited space and 25gb bandwidth. I get near or exceed the bandwidth every month, and although I have unlimited space, I have been getting disk quota exceeded problems for a month, and they seem to not be able to fix. My annual renewal is up in 3 weeks. I have been down for almost 6 days because I can't even upload a 1 k file. They just keep saying to give them 10 hours, but that has worn thin after 6 days.

If you know something for $50 a month or less for what I need, let me know. I am ready to switch today. [email protected]

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
There's a few I can recommend:

www.infopop.com
www.ubbhosters.com
www.vertexhost.com

the last one is kinda new, but he seems pretty good. In all 3 cases, send the contact name an email, as 3.2 gb isn't gonna be on one of their plans, at least not for <$50 smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Try enhanced host you might be able to work out a deal with Gary and Marita, and if you have "unlimited space" how could exceed it? wink

I'm with featureprice.com, and it is exceeded because they are not delivering as promised - they look great but have some MAJOR problems at the moment. I like the looks of imhosted.com, but it is $70 a month for what I need. I'll peek at these others. I've searched for hours and days. What has happened to me is I was getting the ubb cache errors, so my host changed my directory structure to "fix it", now no matter what I do, I can't even upload a 1 K file. I've turned in 18 tickets w/ them in the last 3 weeks. Needless to say, I am just about *done*

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I use HostNuke for all of my hosting, to be honest I was semi weary of using them in the first place, but since I started with them 2 years ago I haven't had any issues with downtime or any of the errors you stated. My site takes up 10 gigs of space and about 50 gigs of bandwidth.

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I think the problem is you are pretty much requiring a dedicated server (or at least a semi-dedicated hard drive). To get that for <$50/month is asking for shady people who over-promise and under-deliver - doesn't matter how cheap they promise if your site is down because they can't afford to pay a decent tech to man the server.

Instead, you may need to consider ways of generating some sort of revenue to pay for a better host.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I have given up on $50 a month, and featureprice seems about dead. I am in the middle of a huge contest w/ my site giving away 2 trips on 5/7 if the site is up and plan ends today.

Imhosted looks close to what I need for $60 but the BBB doesn't seem much more hepped up on them than featureprice.com (zero rating). I filed a complaint w/ BBB on featureprice.com a few days ago.

what about imhosted.com?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I've never heard of them tipsy

The 3 I pointed out have great reputations...

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
try eryxma.com you will get good plans for this smile

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Sponsored Links
I stayed up all night and looked at about 50 hosting outfits. Only hostnuke and eryxma even came close.

However, hostnuke seems to only give you one domain and I have 2. Also, it says no chat servers. Does that mean we can't run LK's mod on the site? I have maybe a chat every couple of months w/ a dozen attendees.

On eryxma.com, right now they are not selling their vps plans, as their servers are down. That is rather scarey to me. I want root access to my files if possible, so I wasn't to anxious to get a shared plan. I think I have got my domain out of hostage at dotregistrar, so I am ready to move and have to do something today.

Neither of the two above seem to have any info listed at Better Busines Bureau

Veteran
Veteran
LK's hack is a chat client not a server so you shouldn't have any problem.

If you take a VPS its exactly like running your own linux box, so you need some knowledge to do so.

Charles, "some" knowledge is what I have. I'm a 20 year programmer but of course did mainframe then client server, now I am an unemployed person doing websites and selling travel on the side!!! I have managed to do all the hacks, etc and know some unix commands but I do have to hunt and peck real bad. These people are here in town but seem Mom and pop.

I am sure everyone is tired of my story. I just wanted to at least tell what I did after making everyone listen. I took the Enterprise reseller plan for $52.95 from Erxyma since they don't have the VPS yet. This is the most bang for the buck on all plans available at the moment w/ 4 gb of space and something like 125 gb of bandwidth. I seem to use about .6-1.3 gb of bandwidth a day when my site is up.

Twenty hours and 40 minutes to answer a sales call for their most expensive plan is a bit scarey, and by then I had long bought the plan, but I am glad they recommended the same thing I picked.

They will have VPS back later in the month.

Veteran
Veteran
Let us know how it goes with Eryxma, I have a couple plans with them and so far been quite happy. I did have some downtime mostly due to people running bugged scripts on the shared servers but this was usually fixed quite fast.

I hope everything will go well for you:)

quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
There's a few I can recommend:

www.infopop.com
www.ubbhosters.com
www.vertexhost.com

the last one is kinda new, but he seems pretty good. In all 3 cases, send the contact name an email, as 3.2 gb isn't gonna be on one of their plans, at least not for <$50 smile
I would avoid the last host, vertexhost.com. It's one person running it out of his home. After visiting the site and learning there is no phone number for customer support, I e-mailed him. Then I checked the domain name and it is registered under the same person who responds to your e-mails.
He is a bulk reseller which means he pays PowerSurge.com/AnonymousReseller.com a monthly fee to resale host space under his own domain name.
Check out PowerSurge.com and AnonymousReseller.com, which are the same company and offers this great offer to resellers.

I would avoid the last one because I'm already going through the same problem with WebhostXL.com which is the same BS! Who knows how long a reseller will be up?

You get what you pay for and I've learned the hard way.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'm hosting 2 sites with vertexhost, as I know the guy running it. I haven't had any problems and he answers support questions very quickly. I know 3 others who host with vertex who are very happy with the service.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
I've used http://www.hostnuke.com/ for the past 2 years now... We had like 20 minutes of downtime and that was just while they upgraded the admin pannel...

If you want a good quality host that is affordable, go to HostNuke, tell them that Gizmo sent you and theil be good about it wink ...

I have 3 domains hosted with them (2 using a dedicated ip and one as virtual hosting over 2 machines) and I'd never change...

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
I'd like hosting with
http://astrahosting.com
http://fast-host.com

...cheap and fast.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
:checks watch: I think (rather i hope) that he's found a solution after a full year...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63