UBB.Dev
Posted By: Mhaddy Moving to a new server... - 03/28/2001 2:45 PM
I'm moving to a new server with UBB 5.47c and I would like to keep all my forums, posts, members, etc. in tact and exactly how they are now. Is there anything special that needs to be done, tweaked or added? Or can I just download all my files, upload them to the new server, with proper read / write permissions and everything will be okay? Thanks again,
Posted By: Mhaddy Re: Moving to a new server... - 03/30/2001 4:49 AM
*bump*
Posted By: Coder-x Re: Moving to a new server... - 04/01/2001 7:30 PM
What might be easier is if you get an FTP client that will allow you to FTP into both servers at the same time, and transfer from one to another without going through your PC.......

It should maintain the permissions by itself then..
Posted By: NightSong Re: Moving to a new server... - 04/01/2001 7:43 PM
Actually I have done it (not by my choice) and it works fine. The Server at my web host was flaky and needed a reboot every other day. I did the online backup thing and just to be safe using ftp I copied by cgi-bin and ubb folders to my local PC. After about a 2 weeks the Server crashed and backups failed and I was left with 2 week old folders.
On the new Server I just uploaded them and changed the Variable Settings, set my permissions and rebuild the threads and I was back in business.

So the moral of my sad story is yes! that should work and you just need to change the Variable Settings and just to be safe keep track of permissions.
Posted By: The Prohacker Re: Moving to a new server... - 04/01/2001 10:20 PM
If you have telnet axxs, you could have just made are tarball and it would have preserved the file permissions....
Posted By: Sinko Re: Moving to a new server... - 04/01/2001 10:39 PM
http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=33&t=000004
http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=33&t=000017

Look at those
Posted By: Mhaddy Re: Moving to a new server... - 04/08/2001 10:36 PM
Sorry for the tardy reply. I haven't moved servers yet but when I do I will take all of this into account, thanks again!
© UBB.Developers