UBB.Dev
Posted By: scats Webhost recommendation - 06/06/2001 3:58 AM
This is not one of those unbelievable deals! recommendations, simply a heads-up for a decent webhost I've recently moved to and why I'm happy about them (so far ;)).

A year ago I had no idea how to pick a webhost, but after some months of tending a decent little ubb community I've gotten a heck of a lot more picky, and my then-webhost turned out to suck, not to put too fine a point on it. (Nav & Charles are still traumatized that these doofi run the oldest version of Apache they've ever seen). *ahem* Anyway this is what I looked for in a new webhost, and www.webintellects.com turned out to fulfill them (found 'em on cnet):

— ~$18.95
— telnet access
— 200M of space, upgradable if I need to (without having to go up to the next-level package)
— good tech response (so far, very nice: normal daylight hours, but you can send a form that gets forwarded to the techs after-hours, and unbelievably, the one time I've used it after 10pm they responded within the hour.)
— recent versions of apache/perl etc wink
— decent uptime (they checked out fine on netcraft.com)

Extras I didnt' expect but appreciate:
— site admin control panel that lets you add other users & give them space/priviledges as you see fit
— a back-up utility that tars and gzips the entire site when/where you want for easy download to your own comp.
— this might seem petty but I liked it: the welcome email included the paths to perl & sendmail, which added that simple pro touch I like so much. laugh

Anyway, this is long-winded enough, but it took me weeks to hunt them down, so in case it saves anyone the trouble, check 'em out.
Posted By: Mr Dog Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/09/2001 12:05 PM
wow........ THey office only half of what I supply to my Customers...

and mine it only 20.95 and you get much MORE.
OH sorry to Spoile your day frown
Posted By: Marty Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/09/2001 2:07 PM
Hey they may only offer half what you do but at least their website works smile

It doesnt really give a good impression on a webhosting company (especially if they offer web design) if their website has dead links due to mistyped url's and some links which should take you to a new section of the site take you to the page you were just viewing, and on some parts of the site you claim 99.9% uptime and on others 99.5%

Oh and there doesnt seem to be anywhere to sign up confused
Posted By: Bob Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/09/2001 3:21 PM
Mr Dog :: Man, there is so much wrong with your site and I am only on the first page, there are already punctuation mistakes ... I cannot see a link to a privacy policy which is vital, there is no consistency in the fonts you use .. its just ... eugh!!

Oh, and I *love* the falling snow javascript on the main page of your site .. adds that profesional touch. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Martin A Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/13/2001 10:36 PM
Mr Dog :: lol, and the "contact us" link is broken(404) heh i like to see snow in the middle of june, pretty cool

sorry to Spoile your day wink
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/13/2001 11:58 PM
Bluedomino gives you:

-Free Domain Name
-No Set-Up Fees
-Free CoffeeCup Software
-Unlimited Storage Space
-Unlimited Monthly Data Transfer (Bandwidth)
-No Extra Transfer Fees
-Unlimited Email Accounts
-Unlimited Email Aliases
-Unlimited Email Forwarders
-Unlimited Email Auto-Responders
-SMTP (Outgoing Mail)
-Free Domain Name Pointing
-1 Hour Setup
-High Power Linux Servers
-Web Based Account Admin
-Wireless Content-Enabled
-PHP Support
-OC-48 High-Speed Connections
-Personal CGI-Bin
-Daily Backup
-Server Side Includes (SSI)
-Graphical Stats
-24/7 Network Monitoring
-99.9% Uptime Guarantee

All of that for just $18.95 per month or $227.40 per year smile

[ June 13, 2001 05:00 PM: Message edited by: GoTorankusuKu ]
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/15/2001 9:53 PM
looks like you were shortchanged somewhere mr. dog smile
Posted By: tier lieder Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/27/2001 8:32 PM
blue domino looks good...now if I could only decide on a domain name....
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: Webhost recommendation - 06/28/2001 9:38 AM
I might try Bluedimino when I finally get some cash! smile
Posted By: V00D00 Re: Webhost recommendation - 07/02/2001 3:04 AM
I use MavNet, they have great customer service, and I've never had a problem

200MB space
Ulimited E-mails
Unlimited Transfer rate
CGI-BIN
Perl, MYSQL, ASP, PHP, etc...
All the goodies
for 9.95 a month. No setup fee either.
Posted By: Link2001 Re: Webhost recommendation - 07/05/2001 7:03 PM
I use hostway https://www.hostway.com/webhosting/goldplus.htm not many features but has very good service and support.
Posted By: smashmelee Re: Webhost recommendation - 07/13/2001 11:36 PM
hmm. i see all these places offereing 200 and 500 megs of space, but is that really necisary for just a UBB? I dont think my UBB even takes up 10 megabytes...
Posted By: JZarate Re: Webhost recommendation - 07/14/2001 1:02 AM
i believe Mr.Dog is a reseller for communitech.net

that look pretty good, but that setup cost it just crazy.
Posted By: CaCoffin Re: Webhost recommendation - 07/16/2001 9:56 PM
I moved away from BlueDomino two months ago and would not recommend anyone to use them whether they are running a UBB board or not.

They are simply reselling RaqSpace servers and I had an average of 3 days a week with outages averaging 2 hours per day - with several instances of much longer outages.

The move to them was a nightmare!

You also do not get a static IP.
© UBB.Developers