UBB.Dev
Posted By: Bob A My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/07/2001 2:52 AM
Ok here is the story. This is what I am getting now for $120.00 a month.
300 Megs of disc space - I am currently using about 150 megs

15,000MB of bandwith - I currently use about 12,000MB

Keep that in mind. Now here is my problem. I was having problems with my UBB 5.45b. Nobody could post. They would try to create a thread, but it would not show up. I would prune some posts,and then people can put up some threads, and they can be seen. Everyone said it was a disc space issue. How could it be? I was only using about 125 megs of disc space (I have 300megs available to me). I thouhgt it was the board. So..I upgraded to UBB 6.05. Guess what? Same problem. People trying to post, posts do not show up. In addition, everytime I tried to FTP any kind of file to the board, it woud give me a 550 disc space error.

I called the people who host my board, and guess what they told me? There is a 10,000 file limit on the server ( I had about 18,000 files). I was very upset!! I am sure that there are many UBB's out there with twice the amount of files than mine, and they work!! What a ripoff!

Anyhow..that is what brings me here. I need a server who can handle a huge amount of files and bandwith. I have spent some serious money on the board. It is time for me to find anohter host. Can someone please...please recommend one for me. If anybody has a board that has many posts and uses lots of bandwith, please help me out. Pretty soon I will have to get a second job just for my UBB!

Bob

911jobforums.com
Posted By: Link2001 Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/07/2001 2:56 AM
http://www.futurequest.com
http://www.hostrocket.com
charles capps uses future quest and he has 100,000 posts...
hostrocket I heard has good service...

[ July 06, 2001 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Link2001 ]
Posted By: Link2001 Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/07/2001 2:58 AM
hmmmmmmm maybe you should get a dedicated server.. A little more maintnace but you have more freedom. I hope this helps smile
Posted By: CoryDiscus Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/07/2001 7:07 AM
http://www.ntidesign.com/cobaltspecial.php
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/07/2001 7:23 PM
Oh yeah, sure, move from shared hosting to a RaQ and see how long your UBB lasts...

The UBB is I/O driven - RaQs have terribly slow I/O. Your UBB will crawl, which will result in a high server load, which will be severely unfun.
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/08/2001 12:12 PM
You were getting ripped off in more than that way. 300MB for $120? Thats a rip off.

Try http://www.bluedomino.com (Shoukd tbe the right addy)
Posted By: Bob A Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/08/2001 4:59 PM
I finally made my decision. I went with futurequest.com . They seem to meet my needs and price. I talked to a few of their techs and they were great! I already starting transferring my board there. Thanks for all the help. The question still remains about my old server. Why would they care about how many files I have, as long as I don't go over my disc limit? I don't get it....

[ July 08, 2001 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Bob A ]
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/09/2001 12:27 AM
All filesystems have limits to the number of files that can be allocated... They were prolly packing hundreds or thousands of people on a single server.

One of our 6.1.0 beta testers is on a server with over 2500 clients and an average load, in the early morning, of 3. Talk about careless/clueless hosting providers...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/09/2001 1:19 AM
quote:

A very nice ROI if you can get away with it for sure..:D

Just think: 2500 clients x $10 - $30 /month eek
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/09/2001 8:17 PM
Yeah, but the thing CLAIMS to be a Sun Enterprise... yeah, right....
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/10/2001 12:15 PM
Most of the popular servers always raise their prices..It's a stupid system...
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: My ISP is ripping me off. Help!! - 07/14/2001 11:34 AM
do wat i did, find a friend on a nice t1 or 3 with windows 2000 installed =)
© UBB.Developers