UBB.Dev
Posted By: ruph Self Hosting? - 12/28/2001 4:20 PM
Im on Broadband and i was wondering how i could setup my computer to host my site and have like cgi and php scripts in it.. can anyone help me??
Posted By: John Round Re: Self Hosting? - 12/28/2001 6:04 PM
If you have Win NT/2K/XP it is pretty easy with a few programs and IIS (Included with NT/2K/XP)

If you have netmeeting lemme know and I can probably connect to your PC and set it all up for you as I have set it up for a few people
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 12/28/2001 7:16 PM
Although John should've added that you're going to need to check with your broadband provider first. Most commercial ISPs out there forbid you from hosting a site off your IP provided by them.
Posted By: adam Re: Self Hosting? - 12/28/2001 10:21 PM
what they dont know can't hurt them
Posted By: RANCH4x4 Re: Self Hosting? - 12/28/2001 10:55 PM
Well when your bandwidth shoots through the roof they will know.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 12/28/2001 11:05 PM
Another downside is that the machine would have to be left on all day and all night long. The power that it sucks will not be a small amount.
Posted By: ruph Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 7:16 AM
i'd like to set it up just for personal use.. testing scripts and stuff.. its not gonna go public so it shouldnt eat up that much bandwith

JR, i have netmeeting but i NEVER use it.. can you list the programs i need and where to get them? or you can contact me thru AIM: ruph28

thanx
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 8:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ruph:
its not gonna go public so it shouldnt eat up that much bandwith

Well, this makes a huge difference! It's very easy to set up a server package on your computer, just follow the two guides below.

Configuring IIS
Configuring ActivePerl
Posted By: John Round Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 12:33 PM
I'm a expert at using netmeeting to set up IIS/Active Perl now wink (The user could speak english though )
Posted By: LK Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 3:24 PM
I remote controlled some people and did it for them
Posted By: John Round Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 4:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
I remote controlled some people and did it for them smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 4:57 PM
I live and breathe Terminal server. I maintain a few hundred 2K advanced server machines and TS is a life saver.
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: Self Hosting? - 12/29/2001 6:16 PM
With TS Citrix is the only way
Posted By: hackrme Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 12:27 AM
can you guys help me I want to install php and just wanna test them out too and it's not a real forum. I'm on broadband too thanks
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 1:03 AM
If you're using Windows NT, 2000 or XP, I suggest you go ahead and install IIS if you haven't done so already. You'll need your OS CD-ROM to do so, and the version of IIS varies depending on what OS you have.

Next, you'll want to read this guide for everything you need to know on how to setup Perl on your system.

Then, set up any firewall configurations that need to be made in order for outside computers to access port 80 of your computer. On Linksys router/hubs, this is called port forwarding. You'll also need to open up port 21 if you want to setup an FTP server.

For the last step, if you want to associate a DNS, go to the DNS2Go homepage.

That's it!
Posted By: hackrme Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 2:29 AM
yup I got XP and I want to install php and mysql I want to test out the vbulletin board and give it a shot, I was wondering if that explains all of it already or do I need anything else?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 2:44 AM
We are not a vBulletin support site.
Posted By: hackrme Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 2:57 AM
awww be nice please hehe and I want to test out my ubb hacks too so I dont mess up
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 4:36 PM
Installing and setting up an SQL database is more complex than installing Perl. Perl is all you need in order to run your UBB locally.
Posted By: DJLunacy Re: Self Hosting? - 01/11/2002 5:19 PM
Leaving the computer is not going to suck down that much power. The monitor will draw more power then the PC.

Also see what your upstream is if it's only 128K and you plan on your site on being remotley popular i would just get a host.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 01/12/2002 1:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DJLunacy:
The monitor will draw more power then the PC.

That's true, but you don't think that all those fans and hard drive platters spinning will draw any current?
Posted By: hackrme Re: Self Hosting? - 01/12/2002 2:10 AM
ok thanks anyways as it seems I'm not going to get help but it's alright
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 01/12/2002 2:54 AM
I told you everything you need to know in order to run a UBB locally.
Posted By: hackrme Re: Self Hosting? - 01/17/2002 1:45 PM
well I figured it out by myself using something else but how come I'm the only one that can go to it hehe
Posted By: -Langrisser- Re: Self Hosting? - 01/19/2002 6:39 PM
but the question iss who has so manny monney the traffic iss than very big
Posted By: Heracross20 Re: Self Hosting? - 02/12/2002 1:33 PM
you could always buy ur own server *cough*dell*cough* *meh* i really don't know how much they cost though, I should check that out....
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 02/12/2002 4:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Heracross20:
you could always buy ur own server *cough*dell*cough* *meh* i really don't know how much they cost though, I should check that out....

We were talking about setting up server software, not building servers.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 02/12/2002 4:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by hackrme:
but how come I'm the only one that can go to it

You can always go to your server's root by browsing to http://localhost/ ( http://127.0.0.1/ ), but if you have a dial-up modem connection, other people will only be able to reach your site when your computer is turned on and connected to the Internet.

Also, if you have a broadband connection, and you use a firewall or a broadband router, you'll have other settings to configure. I can't help you with those, because I don't know the specifics of your hardware. If you want to assign a free sub-domain name to your IP (even if it changes every time you connect), check out my earlier post for a link.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 02/12/2002 5:11 PM
In my earlier post, I said to use IIS, which is still a good choice, because it's easy to set up, free, and works fine. However, if you're the kind of person that likes to configure and play with every little detail, Apache is for you. Once you start adjusting settings, Apache is far more powerful than IIS.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Self Hosting? - 02/12/2002 6:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 1QuickSI:
With TS Citrix is the only way laugh

Citrix isn't neccessary if you're running 2K Term server. I've tried all options and Citrix is way too expensive for the little bit of benefit. By using GPO's in an Active Directory I can control virtually anything that has to do with the ASP.

If you want to really have a good remote control experience I suggest VNC. It's free and works on virtually any platform.
Posted By: Demolition Re: Self Hosting? - 02/26/2002 12:36 AM
I was wondering if you guys could help me out on the same subject about self hosting , i only want it tio test UBB's won't be for public as i am only on a dail up connection, I am running on XP and don't think I have hte right tool , could someone please point me in the right direction , heres what tools i have :

[Linked Image]

thanks
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Self Hosting? - 02/27/2002 12:45 AM
You need to install Internet Information Services 5.1 (IIS) from your XP CD-ROM.
Posted By: Demolition Re: Self Hosting? - 02/27/2002 5:34 PM
Yeah thanx , well i want to say Thanks to LK for helping me over MSN , thanks man smile
© UBB.Developers