UBB.Dev
Posted By: DebbieH need powerful site that I can afford - 04/06/2003 10:40 PM
My site is 3.2 gb (large gallery), and I am having a lot of trouble with my host. I have an affordable plan for unlimited space and 25gb bandwidth. I get near or exceed the bandwidth every month, and although I have unlimited space, I have been getting disk quota exceeded problems for a month, and they seem to not be able to fix. My annual renewal is up in 3 weeks. I have been down for almost 6 days because I can't even upload a 1 k file. They just keep saying to give them 10 hours, but that has worn thin after 6 days.

If you know something for $50 a month or less for what I need, let me know. I am ready to switch today. [email protected]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 04/06/2003 11:37 PM
There's a few I can recommend:

www.infopop.com
www.ubbhosters.com
www.vertexhost.com

the last one is kinda new, but he seems pretty good. In all 3 cases, send the contact name an email, as 3.2 gb isn't gonna be on one of their plans, at least not for <$50 smile
Try enhanced host you might be able to work out a deal with Gary and Marita, and if you have "unlimited space" how could exceed it? wink
Posted By: DebbieH Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 04/07/2003 3:49 AM
I'm with featureprice.com, and it is exceeded because they are not delivering as promised - they look great but have some MAJOR problems at the moment. I like the looks of imhosted.com, but it is $70 a month for what I need. I'll peek at these others. I've searched for hours and days. What has happened to me is I was getting the ubb cache errors, so my host changed my directory structure to "fix it", now no matter what I do, I can't even upload a 1 K file. I've turned in 18 tickets w/ them in the last 3 weeks. Needless to say, I am just about *done*
Posted By: Gizmo Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 04/07/2003 6:23 AM
I use HostNuke for all of my hosting, to be honest I was semi weary of using them in the first place, but since I started with them 2 years ago I haven't had any issues with downtime or any of the errors you stated. My site takes up 10 gigs of space and about 50 gigs of bandwidth.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 04/07/2003 7:53 AM
I think the problem is you are pretty much requiring a dedicated server (or at least a semi-dedicated hard drive). To get that for <$50/month is asking for shady people who over-promise and under-deliver - doesn't matter how cheap they promise if your site is down because they can't afford to pay a decent tech to man the server.

Instead, you may need to consider ways of generating some sort of revenue to pay for a better host.
Posted By: DebbieH Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/05/2003 5:58 PM
I have given up on $50 a month, and featureprice seems about dead. I am in the middle of a huge contest w/ my site giving away 2 trips on 5/7 if the site is up and plan ends today.

Imhosted looks close to what I need for $60 but the BBB doesn't seem much more hepped up on them than featureprice.com (zero rating). I filed a complaint w/ BBB on featureprice.com a few days ago.
Posted By: DebbieH Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/05/2003 6:03 PM
what about imhosted.com?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/05/2003 7:00 PM
I've never heard of them tipsy

The 3 I pointed out have great reputations...
Posted By: Charles Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/05/2003 7:37 PM
try eryxma.com you will get good plans for this smile
Posted By: DebbieH Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/06/2003 1:57 PM
I stayed up all night and looked at about 50 hosting outfits. Only hostnuke and eryxma even came close.

However, hostnuke seems to only give you one domain and I have 2. Also, it says no chat servers. Does that mean we can't run LK's mod on the site? I have maybe a chat every couple of months w/ a dozen attendees.

On eryxma.com, right now they are not selling their vps plans, as their servers are down. That is rather scarey to me. I want root access to my files if possible, so I wasn't to anxious to get a shared plan. I think I have got my domain out of hostage at dotregistrar, so I am ready to move and have to do something today.

Neither of the two above seem to have any info listed at Better Busines Bureau
Posted By: Charles Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/06/2003 6:00 PM
LK's hack is a chat client not a server so you shouldn't have any problem.

If you take a VPS its exactly like running your own linux box, so you need some knowledge to do so.
Posted By: DebbieH Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/06/2003 7:09 PM
Charles, "some" knowledge is what I have. I'm a 20 year programmer but of course did mainframe then client server, now I am an unemployed person doing websites and selling travel on the side!!! I have managed to do all the hacks, etc and know some unix commands but I do have to hunt and peck real bad. These people are here in town but seem Mom and pop.
Posted By: DebbieH Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/07/2003 11:59 AM
I am sure everyone is tired of my story. I just wanted to at least tell what I did after making everyone listen. I took the Enterprise reseller plan for $52.95 from Erxyma since they don't have the VPS yet. This is the most bang for the buck on all plans available at the moment w/ 4 gb of space and something like 125 gb of bandwidth. I seem to use about .6-1.3 gb of bandwidth a day when my site is up.

Twenty hours and 40 minutes to answer a sales call for their most expensive plan is a bit scarey, and by then I had long bought the plan, but I am glad they recommended the same thing I picked.

They will have VPS back later in the month.
Posted By: Charles Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 05/07/2003 12:37 PM
Let us know how it goes with Eryxma, I have a couple plans with them and so far been quite happy. I did have some downtime mostly due to people running bugged scripts on the shared servers but this was usually fixed quite fast.

I hope everything will go well for you:)
Posted By: Poopy Pants Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 07/09/2003 5:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
There's a few I can recommend:

www.infopop.com
www.ubbhosters.com
www.vertexhost.com

the last one is kinda new, but he seems pretty good. In all 3 cases, send the contact name an email, as 3.2 gb isn't gonna be on one of their plans, at least not for <$50 smile
I would avoid the last host, vertexhost.com. It's one person running it out of his home. After visiting the site and learning there is no phone number for customer support, I e-mailed him. Then I checked the domain name and it is registered under the same person who responds to your e-mails.
He is a bulk reseller which means he pays PowerSurge.com/AnonymousReseller.com a monthly fee to resale host space under his own domain name.
Check out PowerSurge.com and AnonymousReseller.com, which are the same company and offers this great offer to resellers.

I would avoid the last one because I'm already going through the same problem with WebhostXL.com which is the same BS! Who knows how long a reseller will be up?

You get what you pay for and I've learned the hard way.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 07/09/2003 6:00 AM
I'm hosting 2 sites with vertexhost, as I know the guy running it. I haven't had any problems and he answers support questions very quickly. I know 3 others who host with vertex who are very happy with the service.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 07/09/2003 9:54 AM
I've used http://www.hostnuke.com/ for the past 2 years now... We had like 20 minutes of downtime and that was just while they upgraded the admin pannel...

If you want a good quality host that is affordable, go to HostNuke, tell them that Gizmo sent you and theil be good about it wink ...

I have 3 domains hosted with them (2 using a dedicated ip and one as virtual hosting over 2 machines) and I'd never change...
Posted By: Cho Phoo Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 07/17/2004 5:29 PM
I'd like hosting with
http://astrahosting.com
http://fast-host.com

...cheap and fast.
Posted By: Gizmo Re: need powerful site that I can afford - 07/17/2004 10:25 PM
:checks watch: I think (rather i hope) that he's found a solution after a full year...
© UBB.Developers