UBB.Dev
Posted By: Conrad General bandwidth question - 11/07/2004 11:52 PM
I'm about to get a server from a company which offers: Transfer:1200 GB per month Premium Bandwidth

What's interesting is that below that they mention the following: *Bandwidth Above is measured as 1,200 in + 1,200 out = 2,400 Gigs Total

Doesn't this basically mean 2.4GB by most other company's standards? Isn't that how the majority of hosts list their bandwidth (combined in/out total)?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: General bandwidth question - 11/08/2004 1:14 AM
Yeah, I think you're right. Althougth they might as well say "unlimited" because depending on the machine, it may be impossible to push anywhere near that much.
Posted By: DrChaos Re: General bandwidth question - 11/08/2004 1:41 AM
Ya, most people, like my server host, has to put some sort of number. If they said unlimited it would just seem to good to be true. So in most cases they just say a number thats almost impossible to reach.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: General bandwidth question - 11/08/2004 2:41 AM
You also want to pay attention if it's "good bandwidth". Is it cheap, or provided by a reliable provider?
Posted By: Conrad Re: General bandwidth question - 11/08/2004 1:25 PM
Thanks guys, good point about the bandwidth being almost unlimited as it'll be hard to chuck out 2400 GB of transfer unless the server really is flying. I guess the only way to reach the limit is to have large files available for download.

As for "good bandwidth", apparently it's premium bandwidth... or so they say. The server is coming from HostDime. Does the ping feature help in any way to see if they're using good carriers? From where I am the ping is about 150, which is a bit better than ServerMatrix's 175.
Posted By: Anno Re: General bandwidth question - 11/09/2004 5:08 PM
Why do people keep saying "bandwith" to something that is in fact "monthly transfer amount", or simply "traffic".....

Bandwidth is the amount of data that can be sent through a network connection, measured in bits per second (bps). Examples: 10 Mbps for Ethernet, 100 Mbps for Fast Ethernet, and 1000 Mbps (I Gbps) for Gigabit Ethernet.

Bandwidth can never be unlimited since it is limited by the technical standards of the network.
Posted By: Mudcon Re: General bandwidth question - 06/22/2005 11:48 PM
Anno, what does monthly transfer amount mean? sorry for the stupid question, I am trying to learn.
Posted By: Anno Re: General bandwidth question - 06/23/2005 8:59 PM
Monthly transfer is the amount of data, typically measured in gigabytes(Gb), that can be transfered to and from your site in one month.
Posted By: Mudcon Re: General bandwidth question - 06/28/2005 8:51 PM
thanks
© UBB.Developers