UBB.Dev
Posted By: LoneWolf UBB vs Load Average? - 06/06/2001 1:59 AM
I was wondering how much will it affect my server if I have a UBB of 5,000+ active members? I've heard that Perl takes more Processing Power than PHP+mySQL. My question is, which is better in performance for large boards PHP or Perl? (performance doesn't necessary means speed; Stablized State would be appreciated)..
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/06/2001 8:11 AM
The Perl vs PHP debate is meaningless.

Both execute about as fast as each other in the end.

It's all in the I/O.

A system using flat files will always execute slower than a system using an RDBMS.

Therefore, a Perl system using an RDBMS will outspeed a PHP system using flat files, and a PHP system using an RDBMS will outspeed a Perl system using flat files.

If you have speedy disk I/O, then chances are that your users will never notice the difference between the flat file system and the RDBMS system.
Posted By: raja Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/06/2001 4:29 PM
so, if you properly coded, you can port a BBS from php+mysql to perl+mysql and have no perfermonce issues?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/06/2001 6:58 PM
Yup.

Or go from PHP + flat to Perl + flat, and it would still be slow if you had slow I/O.
Posted By: LoneWolf Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/07/2001 12:58 AM
So, as to speed it heavly dependent on I/O speed? but what about Load Average? which one uses CPU power more? is it PHP or Perl?

What about the UBB, does it consume processing power when it gets big? about 5,000+ active users?
Posted By: Ell Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/07/2001 1:23 AM
To summarise what Charles said: You will never notice a difference in CPU processing time between PHP and Perl, the file IO is the limiting 'bottleneck' in the total processing time between HTTP request, and page display in the browser.

I maintain a version 5 UBB that had over 25 THOUSAND members until I pruned back to just the active ones yesterday- 4000 or so.

And that site is on an shared, modest server. So from my experience, UBB can handle HUGE amounts of inactive members, and is also happy with several thousand active ones.
Posted By: LoneWolf Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/07/2001 6:31 PM
Thanks alot smile
Posted By: Blaze Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/07/2001 8:18 PM
i got banned from PC borg
Posted By: Bubble Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/08/2001 7:02 AM
is there a way to customize or any trick that make UBB use less CPU usage? i got kick out from 2 ISP hosting due to CPU over usage.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/08/2001 8:02 AM
If you were kicked off, your UBB was doing too much I/O for those hosts to handle. What is the URL to your board?
Posted By: JB007 Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/08/2001 12:16 PM
Personally, I smell MySQL in UBB 7.0 laugh and I think that UBB6 period will be short .. about a year or so.

[ June 08, 2001 05:17 AM: Message edited by: JB007 ]
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/08/2001 6:42 PM
UBB will never feature a DBI + RDBMS backend.
Posted By: Bubble Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/09/2001 5:22 AM
quote:
hi, here is the address.

http://www.vietvoice.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

What the isp hosting really mean when they said UBB uses resource 3 times more than regular file. Is it true or they just said it? Also, is is the UBB cause trouble since the script we use is not the lastest and officially from infopop? i got this script from a friend of mine... is it possible that the modify something so that it cause us trouble? thanks for you help.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/09/2001 5:37 AM
oh geez. Close this please... Paul Iracy!!
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB vs Load Average? - 06/09/2001 7:58 AM
Bubble, get the latest from the Members Area... and find a host that is competent please.
© UBB.Developers