UBB.Dev
Posted By: Burak to be compiled or not to be compiled? - 10/19/2001 1:26 PM
well... compiled programs are faster as we know...

A CGI program starts a new process everytime... but (for perl) if we use mod_perl & apache, server load will decrease.. bla bla bla & blah...

Bu doesnt compiled programs start a new process, everytime we call them??? I mean, if you use a compiled CGI program, will the server program use (if it has) some extra features by default? or we have to use something like mod_perl??? or what ???

I hope the question is clear smile
Let's say you have a CGI script written in C. You compile it, and stick it in your cgi-bin.

You still have all of the CGI overhead associated with starting the program. Only difference is you don't need to run through an interpreter, like Perl.

mod_perl basically keeps a copy of perl itself embedded in Apache. Directives are set in httpd.conf, and things like database connections can be made persistant etc.

Executing perl scripts under mod_perl bypasses the mod_cgi requirements...the apache server already has the interperter and the scripts. It just executes. VERY beneficial.

That's a quick summary, obviously. You're best bet would be to look at the documentation over at perl.apache.org

--mark
Posted By: Burak Re: to be compiled or not to be compiled? - 10/19/2001 4:48 PM
ok I'll look at it...

Thanks Mark smile
© UBB.Developers