UBB.Dev
Posted By: DarkDevil Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 12:54 AM
The name says it all...
Posted By: Dave_L Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 1:21 AM
A Perl file is plain text, without any of the formatting normally associated with WYSIWYG editors. Exactly what editor features are you looking for?
Posted By: DarkDevil Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 1:55 AM
Well i'd like to be able to learn perl or any other cgi scripting... with a program that kinda tells you your choices... Kinda hard to explain... but is there anything like this... not nessesaryly a wysiwyg type editor but something kinda like CuteHTML that will help me along the process of wronging scripts...
Posted By: Dave_L Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 4:29 AM
Perl is considerably more complex than HTML, so I wouldn't recommend using an editor to learn it by trial and error, even if such a thing exists.

My suggestion would be to read some books. Some that I found helpful were the O'Reilly books Learning Perl, CGI Programming with Perl and Programming Perl, but other people might have different recommendations.

When running Perl scripts, you should always enable warnings, strict mode and taint mode. That way, the Perl interpreter will provide the maximum feedback about compilation errors.

If you don't care which language you're using, you might prefer starting with PHP or Python. Either of those is probably easier to learn than Perl.
Posted By: DarkDevil Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 4:51 AM
Ok, cool... i was thinking about php to... and i've heard a lot of good about o-rileys... But these books are like... 70 bucks each... and thats american... So i dunno... i'm gonna search the net for websites with full teach yourself guides...
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 5:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DarkDevil:
But these books are like... 70 bucks each

Or the low, low price of only $24.46 .
Posted By: Mark Badolato Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 7:15 AM
Or the even lower 21.50

laugh
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 5:03 PM
The numerous books around and online resources it ain't hard nowadays to learn perl. $70 is a bit much. wink
Posted By: Burak Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 9:49 PM
umm not a wysiwyg editor but... => http://www.activestate.com/Products/Visual_Perl/

also there is komodo (again by activestate) => http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

There is some other Perl editor in sourceforge.net but I dont remember the name now...

but there is one for designing GUI laugh

http://www.bahnhof.se/~johanl/perl/Loft/

etc..etc..
Posted By: Burak Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/03/2002 9:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_L:
...you might prefer starting with PHP or Python. Either of those is probably easier to learn than Perl.

I disagree. Perl is not that hard to learn and PhP is not a good language than Perl. I never used Python, so I dont have any ideas about it...
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/04/2002 9:53 PM
Python = not a language for someone that's never programmed before...
Posted By: LK Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/04/2002 9:58 PM
I suggest that you won't waste time learning what you don't need to use a lot (I think Perl will also help you developing/fixing mods for UBB, while PHP might help you add stuff to the accelerator; but all of them are similar). I suggest you to start with Perl, and if you need something for PHP, just enter their docs at php.net.
Posted By: DarkDevil Re: Any WYSIWYG Perl Editors? - 03/05/2002 12:58 AM
sweet... wasn't expecting this much help... thanks allot everyone...
© UBB.Developers