UBB.Dev
Posted By: xXDaRoadie ::SSI (i think)--Help Please:: - 06/03/2001 3:47 AM
alright, this was hard for me to figure out which forum to ask this in, considering i dont know if its html, cgi, ssi, or what...

but i THINK its ssi, because its basically the same kinda code as the ubb slash alternative...

but on big sites like IGN.com, where they have that menu on the left of every page, they tend to be able to update every page just by editing a code...

my friend told me i have to make a nav.txt file, and place a:

-------

-------

on every page that i want the menu, and when i update the menu, all i have to do is update the nav.txt

the reason i think this is SSI is because on the slash alternative in the UBB6 beta forum i had to place a code very similar to that on every page i wanted the information to display

I, along with several of my friends, have been wondering how to do this, and im sorry if i got frustrating or if this is in the wrong forum, as Im sorta lost :-/

if this is, in fact, the wrong forum, will a mod please move this, and/or help me out..

i know that i ask a lot of questions on this board, but im pretty good at html, im just trying to learn my ubb and new codes in html/cgi and such

once again i apologize, i just need some help

..::|-Peace-|::..
Posted By: Craig Armstrong Re: ::SSI (i think)--Help Please:: - 06/03/2001 4:56 AM
Yep, that's SSI! Just make the nav file and then place this code on the pages you want to display the menu,

Code
code:

smile
Posted By: xXDaRoadie Re: ::SSI (i think)--Help Please:: - 06/03/2001 5:17 AM
yo thanks dude, i totally owe ya

on my nav.txt, do i include the commands or body commands, or just add my links like:

quote:
thats my current file infor for nav.txt...should i include anything else??

..::|-Peace-|::..
Posted By: SK8285 Re: ::SSI (i think)--Help Please:: - 06/03/2001 11:46 PM
hey u could use ssi...but javascript would be probably easier. i use js file (JacaScript script files)
i use this code
Code
code:

txt.js would be the file where the html goes and u just call that script from every page using the code above

thats the way i do it
im not familiar with ssi but if you want to do with javascript feel free to email me at [email protected]

PS
i dont think ign.com uses ssi
they have cgi programs installed on there server that searches for tags such as
Code
code:
the they specify the tags in the cgi program and the cgi program changes it to what the admin wants to change it to
© UBB.Developers