UBB.Dev
Posted By: mo2 UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 2:10 AM
Heyo,

I was a previous UBB user/owner in a past life up till 6.03 - one thing that always bugged me was the flat file database used - I switched over to another php / mysql based and could not be happier - but I have the urge to go back to ubb but was wondering what the current state of the database schema used was / or if there have been any hacks where we can store the complete info in mysql ( and I dont want to simply switch to ubbthread ... )

Thanks!
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 2:58 AM
There's no way to make UBB.classic use MySQL... plain and simple. Doing it would require a major rewrite of pretty much everything.

Using UBB.threads would be your best bet if you MUST use MySQL.
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 8:54 AM
Then again maybe not tipsy

...Steven
Hostboard.com
Running UBB v6.1.0.4
Doing what NO other UBB in the world is doing.
The first & only production UBB powered by MySQL.
Posted By: LK Re: UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 9:34 AM
If you pay lots of time and money to jordo you might get a mysql port of UBB tipsy
Posted By: Charles Re: UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 12:48 PM
or you could group up with some users in order to finance the publication of a modification smile but Jordo would still be your man smile
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 5:01 PM
The reasoning behind having a MySQL backend is for extremely large or active systems only.

The base UBB system is designed around small to medium sized systems where the flat file system do not exceed 20,000 in their respective groupings (i.e. members <= 20,000 files : Topics <= 20,000 files) CC has done an amazing job at coding UBB for this market segment and I am sure has alot of surprises for the future.

The 20,000 is seemingly a magic number as Linux has problems with directories that exceed this number of files. It will still work but try listing them. You can get around this by recompiling the Kernal if really necessary.

What you can do if you are really still wanting this is make it a hybrid system. Database the users and topics but leave the flat file system in tact for the rest.

Is it worth the effort? Honestly nope. Why did we do it? As an already established system running with v5.47 it was my familiarity with UBB, users familiarity with UBB in terms of look and feel. Plus I like to be different laugh Also realize if you ever did database your UBB you will never be able to upgrade to a newer version. Anything going forward will have to be custom coded.

You really should take a look at UBBThreads if your set on a database system. The amount of support is equal to UBBDev over at ThreadsDev. I think you will be pleasently surprised.

And as a large UBB system CC will tell you flat out that Hostboard does not count :rolleyes:

BTW, you should really consider upgrading. There have been tremendous strides since the version you are running in performance, features, etc smile

...Steven
Hostboard.com
Running UBB v6.1.0.4
Posted By: mo2 Re: UBB with MySql ? - 05/20/2003 9:35 PM
Thanks for the comments guys

I have been checking out the lastest improvements on ubb - this is why I wanted to know if a mysql based option had become available - as I did hope before infopop brought the threads version they would make a mysql option based ubb classic version but it seems I may have to stick to my current db system - as before my host was complaing about cpu resource usages because of the strain the ubb was putting on the server althou every system has there good / bad points - I wanted an option to seperate the db stuff from the classic scripts and see what improvements there maybe ... maybe in the near future

smile
Posted By: cal Re: UBB with MySql ? - 06/13/2003 10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by 1QuickSI:
That claim is not actually true. I ran a production ubb 5.47 on mysql a number of years ago smirk
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: UBB with MySql ? - 06/13/2003 4:21 PM
Hostboard started pre 5.47 and was running a MySQL backend then although it was never released in to production.

There is/was also another 5.47 system that is running a MySQL backend I believe.

And I still beleive we are Doing what no other UBB in the world is doing.
© UBB.Developers