UBB.Dev
Posted By: Phil R Can i mention Fatal errors here? - 02/16/2007 5:05 PM
Hello

Newby here. I have used UBB for some years and have some experience of installing and maintaining UBB classic boards but not so much as you may think.

Is this the right forum for me to ask about a fatal error in cgi on my server? I have just moved my board and there's a few issues.

Thank you for any responses.
:-)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Can i mention Fatal errors here? - 02/17/2007 1:53 AM
Sure, ask away...

Your avatar is creeping me out - I need to make one like that one wink
Posted By: Gizmo Re: Can i mention Fatal errors here? - 02/17/2007 2:46 AM
Originally Posted by AllenAyres

Your avatar is creeping me out - I need to make one like that one wink
It scares me... I like it...
Posted By: Phil R Re: Can i mention Fatal errors here? - 02/19/2007 1:46 PM
Hi again!

It’s always a pleasure to freak out a stranger with an avatarial gif!

So, to my fatal error…

Background is, I had a beautifully functioning UBB Classic on a server that Pipex were happy to take money for until I realized they had better deals they hadn’t told me about. So I decided to move server – mistake one.

The site has moved successfully, for the most part (www.pogofilms.com) but I knew the BB would be a problem and was prepared for the worst.

I have been typically lazy and stupid and didn’t read my help files and export a CSV file of the forums or memberships. Although I do have a copy of the original file structure of the site and all of the files. So being a nonce, I installed a fresh copy of the bulletin board (6.7.1) on the site. The setup was fine and all worked well.

Next, I decided to copy over the new files, my membership folder and forums folders. To my amazement, after re-indexing, all of the members popped up and also the forums. I deleted un-necessary blank forums except for one that stuck. This is where the fatal error kept appearing in whilst re-indexing and re-building the forum structure. I was then unable to delete a rogue forum.

Since then, I have re-installed the forum afresh and am hoping there may be some way of re-integrating old member lists and forum postings.

Am I up the creek without a paddle, or am I missing the canoe as well, or worse, am I in a dry river bed?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Can i mention Fatal errors here? - 02/20/2007 12:24 PM
What does the error say?

Technically you can re-integrate the old members and forums/posts but it will require some work. You probably just need to open vars_forums.cgi and see if any lines look really out of place/broken. Delete cache and rebuild/re-index.
© UBB.Developers