UBB.Dev
Posted By: gost95 Category Seperation - 03/13/2002 6:54 AM
i know this has been talked about a lot, and i read a few posts on it but i still haven't seen a post yet that explained it fully. i want to have a half inch or more space between categories. it gives each category a more seperate feel from the one before and after it.

i also wanted to round the corners on the category table which wouldn't look right if they were connected.

i have UBB 6.1.0.3 and i've already tried the hack where you replace "$TBT" with "
$TopicC
$PostC
$LastPost
$Mods

~;

return ($CategoryStrip);

~;

if ($vars_display{ShowMods} ne 'no') {

$Mods .= qq~

" and added the "$TBB
$TBT" under "my $CategoryStrip = qq~". yes it did seperate the categories but my page was a mess afterwards. all the tables were different widths and nothing was even in a pattern.

so i'm assuming that since the last time this was talked about, there has been some advancements and it's a little bit easier. if not then would anybody be willing to talk to me on AIM or something about this and maybe look at my code?

thank you a lot.
Posted By: freak.scene Re: Category Seperation - 03/13/2002 1:08 PM
sorry this reply is really not much help...

just wanted to say hello to another ubbdever frrom Charlotte tipsy

so hello already.
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Category Seperation - 03/13/2002 2:51 PM
well if you read this

https://ubbdev.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=000387

Your going to and up with something all not align. You have to find all the coade to align them and I didn't found any of them right now frown
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/13/2002 6:57 PM
charlotte's in the house!! hehe

sorry about that...not trying to waste a post...just wanted to reply to the charlotte comment.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/13/2002 6:58 PM
The easiest way to make them line up is to move the "lightbulbs" to the right side instead of the left. They will line up with very little effort that way.
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/13/2002 9:21 PM
alright, now is there a way to line everything up without doing the lightbulbs idea.

i really think having the lightbulbs on the right side of the board would look really ugly.

i'm willing to change whatever code needs to be changed...i just need help finding that code as i don't know perl and cgi.

thanks to everyone for the help so far.
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/14/2002 6:19 PM
i'm willing to do this the hard way but i just need a little guidance.

anyone feel like helping me out on AIM or something?
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/14/2002 8:10 PM
I was able to get it to work with up to 3 categories (any more and the lightbulbs would go out of alignment) by specifying widths for the various "td's". This is not easily done and that's the reason that you don't see it very often. Any slight change to the summary page can totally throw it off. If you look at the way the lightbulbs work you'll see why they become the issue.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Category Seperation - 03/15/2002 6:26 AM
bookie had it lookin real good on his site for a while, it was beautiful :sniff: - mebbe he might have time to share the secret smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/15/2002 6:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
bookie had it lookin real good on his site for a while, it was beautiful :sniff: - mebbe he might have time to share the secret smile

That's what I was refering to, I had it going too but it seems that as soon as you have more than 3 categories the lightbulbs take over again. When I had the lightbulbs repositioned of course it was flawless.
Posted By: Bookie Re: Category Seperation - 03/15/2002 7:39 AM
I still do have them seperated. wink

http://www.clan-316.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

I will post some exact instructions for those wanting this tommorow. smile
Posted By: Stilgar Re: Category Seperation - 03/15/2002 9:20 AM
wanting and waiting... laugh
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Category Seperation - 03/15/2002 2:57 PM
Thanks Bookie !!!!!!
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/15/2002 8:45 PM
*eagerly anticipating the arrival of the "exact instructions"* hehe
Posted By: Bookie Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 6:43 AM
Here. smile

I haven't tested those instructions, so let me know how they work. laugh Thanks.
Posted By: Stilgar Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 8:16 AM
Thanks Bookie!

For the novice (me) you might want to say which files are to be edited. smile
Posted By: dende Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 9:07 AM
it looks like public_forum_summary.pl is the only file edited. smile
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 10:02 AM
ewwwwww...sorry guy, some things need to be checked i think. damn...i'll take a picture of it and then just post that because i can't leave my board like this.

there's these black boxes all over the place.

if you want, i'll email you the .pl file for you to look at too but this definitely didn't work for me.

thanks for the trouble so far though...hope you keep working on it because this is in such high demand and most people don't know how to do it.

-dustin
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 10:52 AM
alright here's the three links to the top, middle and bottom of my main page after the hacking:

http://www.gsentertainment.net/top.jpg

http://www.gsentertainment.net/middle.jpg

http://www.gsentertainment.net/bottom.jpg

now here's a link to my page looks without the hack:

http://www.mvremix.netfirms.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

not sure what happened but i would guess that it's just a couple smaller/minor details.

thanks for your continuous help. -dustin
Posted By: Shinju Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 5:06 PM
I did it on my test board, seems to work fine. Don't think i'm gonna do it with my main board tho. we'll see wink i'm tempted just so it looks different today than it did yesterday
Posted By: Bookie Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 6:13 PM
Hmmm, wierd.

Oh right, it is public_forum_summary.pl you need to edit. tipsy
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 6:34 PM
any chance in the world of getting you to look at my file...or is that even necessary for you to figure this one out?
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 8:53 PM
$Postc.= qq~
needs to be
$PostC.= qq~

And I'm getting double and triple column headers on a test board;

click here

I rechecked the my edits but i'm a little brain dead right now. I may have edited something wrong.
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 10:19 PM
That has something to do with $TBT Find it and delete it. If that deosnt work tell me.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 10:38 PM
Well, I fixed it but I hard coded the post/topics etc. since I never change them. It seems that each time it loops through the sub CategoryStrip it adds another set.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 10:40 PM
There's also an extra TD after $Mods
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 11:23 PM
So what do we do to fix this problem with the extra fields because i am now getting the same thing as well. Ignore my saying about deleting the TBT thingy. You dont want to do that. I have been trying to fix this problem but it aint working.
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 11:33 PM
delete $TBT?? there's six of them so i'm not sure what you mean.

also, an extra TD after $Mods??

here's the two places that i have the "$Mods" and i don't see any extra ones:

#1 $TBB

$TBT

color="$vars_style{CategoryStripTextColor}">$CategoryName

$vars_wordlets{last_post_column}

hmmm...
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 11:36 PM
sorry, i see that you now said not to delete the $TBT.
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/16/2002 11:39 PM
I no i cant find out what to do. Lol. confused
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 3:05 AM
Xpert you said you know how to fix it. What did u do. Can you please share the info. Thank you. I really need this hack installed. Thanks.
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 4:15 AM
yes, could please share the "info" with us. everything seems to be cool except that each category has one more extra clone of the titles than the one before it.

it would be great if we could finally get a hack of this engraved in stone.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 4:19 AM
I changed everything in the sub category strip to be hard coded.

[code][/code]
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 4:23 AM
You also don't have to do all the deletions if you open ubb_forum_summary.cgi and remove
$ThisHTML .= &normal_table_top; # some HTML
under "sub NormalView"
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 5:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
You also don't have to do all the deletions if you open ubb_forum_summary.cgi and remove
$ThisHTML .= &normal_table_top; # some HTML
under "sub NormalView"

what deletions are you talking about. are you talking about from the first code that was posted in this thread?

also, after added the above code that you posted, i still have the repeated/cloned titles, so something else still needs to be changed or added.
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 6:27 AM
Yes i like how the coding is changed. Less coding and it is more hard coded. But i am getting the same error has the other guy. All tables are wierd and the Moderators font for the tbale is not the correct size. I dont no why this a prob. How did you get it to work Xpert?
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 6:30 AM
ok i was doing some tests and it works fine. But without the news fader. With the news fader it works like **** . So does any one no hwo to get this working with the news fader. I have been doing some tests and still now luck guys.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 6:31 AM
Those are the changes that I made. I don't know what else to share.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 6:42 AM
did you replace verything from "sub CategoryStrip" to "#end category strip"?
Posted By: Sonic UBB Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 7:18 AM
yes for some reason it has to be the news fader. You must add the table thingies to the news fader as well and the statistics and authority list as well if you want it to work correctly.
Posted By: Bookie Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 5:52 PM
Yeah, I goofed. I tried to make it so it would work for those who have disabled post, topic, or moderator columns. But I don't think thats going the work.

The way I currently have it is the way XPerT has it up at the top.
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/17/2002 11:40 PM
i just need to know if it's possible to have seperated categories with my board?

i have the "authority hack", the "chat hack", "wol" and the "stats hack" so those would need to be sperated somehow, or i could move a couple of those to the top of the board so they would connect with each other.

i've tried all these codes and the problem still remains with the titles cloning themselves.
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Category Seperation - 03/18/2002 2:01 AM
The best I could do is on my board right now

Anyone know how to fix this ??

My board

If you look carefully the second and last category are align well.
The first and third one are align too but not well.
And First and third are align one way and second and last are align another way.

strange
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/18/2002 8:21 PM
anyone willing to look at my public_forum_summary and see what's wrong. i've followed all the directions and still ahve absolutely no luck.
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Category Seperation - 03/20/2002 4:28 PM
WASSUP!

Is this something anyone is interested in? I've done up to 8 columns but now just use 5 for forum summary and 6 for forum page. Don't mind the icons...I'm still working on it.
Forum Summary:
[Linked Image]

Forum Page:
[Linked Image]

Thanks to XPerT for giving me something to work with when I first started out.

THANKS!
PrimeTime
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Category Seperation - 03/20/2002 4:48 PM
WASSUP!

WhiteBlade: Looks like your prob lies with either the $TBT or $TBB tag. I had that same prob but after experimenting everything aligned itself. The difference here is that I always use "table" tags in between each $TBT and $TBB instead of just "tr".

THANKS!
PrimeTime
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Category Seperation - 03/21/2002 4:08 AM
Ok so what do I do, I didn't really understand what you said frown

Sorry I'm pretty new to coding frown
Posted By: Rick Re: Category Seperation - 03/21/2002 11:31 AM
Well you al lost me....
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Category Seperation - 03/21/2002 6:01 PM
WASSUP WHITEBLADE!

Look for this in your public_forum_summary.pl:

-----------------------
$TBB

~;

return ($PageTop);

} ## END PAGE TOP

sub CategoryStrip {

my $CategoryStrip = qq~
-----------------------

Now you should see $TBB code there...Leave it, and if it's not there then add it. Then follow XPerT's code that he sent on the previous page. It should go right under:

my $CategoryStrip = qq~.

Now after you do that scroll all the way down and delete any $TBB and $TBT you'll find until you hit:

sub Cat_Page_Bottom {
my $Bottom = qq~

Once you see that if there isn't a $TBB already then add it. Should then look like:

sub Cat_Page_Bottom {
my $Bottom = qq~
$TBB

Now see if your aligment problem goes away.

THANKS!
PrimeTime
Posted By: WhiteBlade Re: Category Seperation - 03/21/2002 6:48 PM
Thanks dude I'm going to try this once I get home cause I'm at school now !!

Hope this will work !!!!!!!!
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/28/2002 9:34 PM
oh man, finally! it works, but instead of having the 45% that was in xpert's code, it needed to be changed to 50% so that the first two categories lined up with the last one on my page.

a couple more things: i have the "authority list", "chat", and "stats" hacks categories linked at the bottom of my last forum category. they didn't seperate at all. how would i go about seperating them. it would be good if at least the first one was seperated from the main forum and i could just have those three together.
thanks.
Posted By: freak.scene Re: Category Seperation - 03/29/2002 5:27 AM

a little birdie told me that in 6.3 category + thread seperation will be as easy as a selection in the control panel.
I can't confirm or deny what the bird said.
Rosebud.
Posted By: gost95 Re: Category Seperation - 03/29/2002 6:28 AM
it's true and has been confirmed already. ubbdesign is using 6.3 right now.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Category Seperation - 03/29/2002 6:35 PM
It was nice when it was not so common. Me and Bookie had each done it (and maybe others) and we each did it our own way.