UBB.Dev
Posted By: Three D Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/12/2001 10:24 PM
Alright..it's simple.

I am trying to implement the slide in menu (left) at my UBB. I have tried everything but it doesn't seem to work.

1. Where do I add the style sheet AND the javascript in the template? It says to add it inside of the head tag but that doesnt work for me..

I dont think the problem lays where I placed the js. files because I have them in both my UBB and main directory for redundancy.

Someone help me out smile

Thanks.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/14/2001 6:59 AM
I put all the code in the header of the template, and the .js in my cgibin, and noncgi so it would work on all the pages (6.04) and it worked first try....I'm not using it now, but it was an easy install.
Posted By: Burak Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/14/2001 7:55 PM
Moving to Forum Design Integration...
Posted By: Jamin Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/14/2001 9:20 PM
Stylesheets and the inline javascript code should be added in the Header Insert field of your Style Templates cpanel - not the Header field, iirc. This puts them between the ... tags in the HTML page, which is where most menu type things are supposed to be.

---Skorpion
Posted By: Three D Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/14/2001 9:23 PM
Well for some reason..it's not working for me.

Here's the code..

Posted By: CoryDiscus Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/14/2001 10:22 PM

if the *.js files are in your /cgi-bin/ dir then try the above code
Posted By: RandyM Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/15/2001 12:13 AM
quote:
That's what I was trying to say, it worked perfectly for me, but it annoyed some members including the ones that use Opera browser. They said it flickered constantly.
Posted By: Jamin Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/15/2001 5:35 AM
XPerT:
You've just stated the major problem with navigation systems like this... They're not very cross-brower compatible. Internet Explorer is a VERY forgiving browser, and it's got a ton of proprietary features that allow it to do stuff that no other browser can do. And since the majority of people now use IE, many scripts get made either specifically for, or optimized for, IE.

Menus are particularly bad at this. The menu system at UBBDev is completely nonfunctional in Opera 5, and has only recently been upgraded to be functional in Netscape 6. I myself used to use dropdown menus for navigation, but I've since made major attempts to keep my site relatively compatible with all major browsers, so I've stopped using them.

---Skorpion
Posted By: certify Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/16/2001 8:36 AM
Then is there a way to get it worked on all browsers?
Posted By: Jamin Re: Need help implementing slide in menu... - 07/16/2001 4:17 PM
Nope. You're SOL on cross-browser compatbility unless you just use plain old tables and stuff.

---Skorpion
© UBB.Developers