UBB.Dev
Posted By: [email protected] UBB Cache - 12/16/2002 9:17 PM
Hi,

If I modify public_topic_page.pl so that the displayed output differs if the user is a mod/admin or normal/unregistered users does that break the chache?

And if so am i right in thinking that the cache is considerd broken if the output displayed to the user can change in any way based upon who the user is.

And one last question, If the cache is broken by something in public_topic_page.pl in one formum, how does this affect another forum using a template with a standard public_topic_page.pl. I mean does the cache still function oK?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to get a better understanding of how the cache works.

Thanks for your time
Posted By: Dave2 Re: UBB Cache - 12/16/2002 10:33 PM
Depends how you do it. If it's done server side, yes it breaks the cache. If it's done via JS on the client side, nope.

And for your last question, I don't know, but I don't think so.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB Cache - 12/18/2002 12:33 AM
What Dave said for the first question... for the second, if you're using a template that doesn't change output on the server side based on the client side, then it won't break the cache smile In other words, what Dave said for both smile
Posted By: [email protected] Re: UBB Cache - 12/18/2002 12:41 AM
Is there any chance you could clear that up a bit, it dosnt really answer my question.

And if it does, then it dosn't answer it at my level, hence I asked the question.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB Cache - 12/18/2002 1:40 AM
If you use a javascript to change/add content, then no, it wouldn't break the cache (like how we do the times here on the forum). If you change the content using edited html code done servers-side, then yes it will smile
Posted By: [email protected] Re: UBB Cache - 12/18/2002 1:51 AM
Sorry allen, i understood that from daves first answer and from what i stated in my opening post.

Its the last question that i need answering, If i break the cache in one forum by editing the templates for that forum, how does it effect the other forums that are using standard unedited templates. Is the cache broken completely or will it still function for the untouched forums.

Paul
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: UBB Cache - 12/18/2002 2:25 AM
it still functions smile
Posted By: [email protected] Re: UBB Cache - 12/18/2002 2:30 AM
Thanks.

I hoped it would.
© UBB.Developers