UBB.Dev
Posted By: DocDoom design question - 03/10/2004 4:39 AM
Currently, my board uses a left frame to give the site a sidebar. I did it that way so the sidebar would remain static when the forum pages reloaded. But I notice most UBBs including this one use tables to incorporate a sidebar instead... what is the reason/advantage of this approach?

thanks in advance for any insight. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: design question - 03/10/2004 5:21 AM
UBB doesn't always play well with frames... plus it's an easy thing for someone to break your site out of frames as well, which may or may not lose any ads, navigation, etc that are important to you and your site.
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: design question - 03/10/2004 6:35 AM
I like (and use) iframes. smile
Posted By: Ian Spence Re: design question - 03/13/2004 4:08 PM
Frames = bad if the UBB is in the frame, but frames that are on the side of the UBB should be fine
Posted By: DocDoom Re: design question - 03/17/2004 4:48 AM
thanks all smile
Posted By: GATOR420 Re: design question - 05/08/2004 11:18 PM
I would like to use both a left and right table and have the bulletin board in the center.. Do I just add the html from the sidebar thread for both left and right sidebars in the footer?

Also, if anyone has any idea where in the code I need to fix my category strip colors for the mods I have installed I would be most grateful... smile

LINK HERE
Posted By: CTM Re: design question - 05/09/2004 12:04 PM
Well, it looks like you got the right sidebar sorted... For the left sidebar, just use the same HTML and put it in place of "UBB goes here". smile

And the category strip colours look fine to me... What were you trying to do with them?
Posted By: GATOR420 Re: design question - 05/09/2004 3:01 PM
Thanks CTM, when I view the board,

It starts with recent visitors, with a white link and a blue background. *Good*

Newsfader, dark blue background, light blue link, *bad*

Forum, same background as recent visitors, white text. *good*

Statistics, dark blue background with a dark blue link, *bad*

Authority list, dark blue background with a dark blue link, *bad*

Or at least this is the way I seem them and others have said they seen them... I'm just trying to get complete color scheme... Thanks!

I also tried to add the header text for Left Nav into the header for my board in conjunction with Right Nav and it put a Top, Right, and Bottom table in the top middle in the header part of the board. That didn't quite work like I thought it would...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: design question - 05/09/2004 3:36 PM
Play with the values for "Text Colors" under "text" in your styles settings.
Posted By: Ian Spence Re: design question - 05/09/2004 4:09 PM
for statistics, in ubb_statistics.cgi,

find:
Code
				<font size="$vars_style{TextSize}" face="$vars_style{FontFace}" color="$vars_style{CategoryStripTextColor}">
<b><a href="$ULTIMATEBB{"ubb=statistics"}">$vars_wordlets{statistics_header}</a></b></font>
replace with:

Code
				<b><a href="$ULTIMATEBB{"ubb=statistics"}"><font size="$vars_style{TextSize}" face="$vars_style{FontFace}" color="$vars_style{CategoryStripTextColor}">
$vars_wordlets{statistics_header}</font></a></b>
then in public_forum_summary.pl,

find:
Code
<font size="$vars_style{TextSize}" color="$vars_style{CategoryStripTextColor}" face="$vars_style{FontFace}"><b>
<a href="$vars_config{CGIURL}/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=authority">$vars_wordlets{auth_list}</a></b></font>
replace with:

Code
<b><a href="$vars_config{CGIURL}/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=authority">
<font size="$vars_style{TextSize}" color="$vars_style{CategoryStripTextColor}" face="$vars_style{FontFace}">$vars_wordlets{auth_list}</font></a></b>
that should fix both of them
Posted By: GATOR420 Re: design question - 05/09/2004 4:38 PM
Yay! It worked. Thanks so much. Now at least Newsfader, Statistics, and Authority List all have the same colors.

If I wanted to change the colors of them to another color theme, is that adjustable through the styles applet in the control panel? Or would I have to go mess around in the code every time I wanted to change the top strip and link color?
Posted By: Ian Spence Re: design question - 05/09/2004 5:20 PM
that's available in the styles applet
Posted By: DocDoom Re: design question - 06/16/2004 7:27 PM
ok, another design question -- I just upgraded to 6.7. I had been using JCTemplates, "high-tech blue," which had looked very nice on my board. Now I'm back to stock and it's kind of ugly. Has anyone adopted JC's templates for 6.7, or is there an alternative with a similar look/feel that I could try?
Posted By: Ian Spence Re: design question - 06/16/2004 7:37 PM
no one has ported his templates to 6.7, and there are currently no alternate templates released.

However, it's possible an alternate template set would be released in a couple weeks
Posted By: DocDoom Re: design question - 06/16/2004 8:14 PM
thanks, I'll keep my eyes peeled. smile
Posted By: Gizmo Re: design question - 06/17/2004 5:11 AM
As I recall the JCT hooks where removed from the stock code also
© UBB.Developers