UBB.Dev
Posted By: catcherman Frames, JS, and the Back button - 09/09/2002 8:53 PM
I'm in need of some expert programming help.

I have a site that's working in frame, three to be exact. There's a top frame (topnav), a left frame (leftnav), and a main content (content) frame that takes up 2/3 of the screen.

The top has navigation elements, buttons, that need to load new content in all three frames.

Clicking the back button only changes one item at a time. I would like all three to change back when the back arrow is clicked.

Here's my spaghetti solution so far, but I'm asking for better solutions from all of you:

- Each content page has javascript added, OnLoad, to load the topnav and leftnav automatically. This alone does not solve the back button problem.

- I've programmed each button in the topnav with javascript telling it OnMouseUp to getURL for each of the three frames. The content frame is the last to load. This, in combination with the first change, seems to get the back button to do what I want, but only once.

My above solution is quirky at best. I'm loading the top and left frames with the same content twice. Also, the back button works the way I want it, but only once. After the first time the back button is clicked, it only reloads the frames one at a time.

Is there any way to make this work with frames? Losing frames isn't an option right now, per client request.

Thanks for any help. help
© UBB.Developers