UBB.Dev
Posted By: BassTeQ Deleting Forums - 05/10/2001 3:48 AM
Whats the best way to go about removing forums. I have some that I dont use any more and would like to get rid of them. What files do I have to delete/modify to be able to get rid of them so they done even show up in the CP.

Thanks
Posted By: SpAwN Re: Deleting Forums - 05/10/2001 4:09 AM
Edit/Prune that forum (delete all topics) and than close it in the CP.
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Deleting Forums - 05/10/2001 5:35 AM
But it will still be shown in the CP
I'd like to get rid of it from there too!
Posted By: SpAwN Re: Deleting Forums - 05/10/2001 6:10 AM
You cant delete that frown
But maybe its possible to do it manualy from the cgi files, i never tryed that.
Posted By: www.Goku.NL Re: Deleting Forums - 05/11/2001 1:03 AM
I have that problem too. I added one forum to much, so I got rid of it in forums.cgi. But now every time I change the general settings (with that box at the bottom ticked) it gives an error that that forum no longer exists. Does anyone knows in which files the forums are listed besides forums.cgi?
Posted By: GoTorankusuKu Re: Deleting Forums - 05/11/2001 1:46 AM
There isn't any way to remove forums. And if you try to do it manually, you can say goodbye to your UBB. Allen have seen horrible incidents of forums deleted and it took him forever to fix it for the victims. I suggest using SpAwN's method whether you like it or not because it is the only solution.
Posted By: Shockwave Re: Deleting Forums - 05/13/2001 12:15 PM
Is there a way to manually edit the starting config files so you start out with less than 9 forums? There must be a way to do that...
Posted By: cal Re: Deleting Forums - 05/13/2001 5:12 PM
Surely the following method would work:

[*]Prune all threads

[*]Remove all moderators

[*]Close forum

[*]Update search index

[*]Find & delete the relevant line in forums.cgi

[*]Rebuild search index

[*]Delete the forum folder in NonCGI

possibly? Wasn't there a forum delete hack at some point? Wasn't capps working on one ages ago?

Just a thought smile
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Deleting Forums - 05/15/2001 12:59 AM
I hope it does work but Im not game enough to test it on my UBB.
Does anyone have a test ubb they could try this out on?
Posted By: NBAustin Re: Deleting Forums - 05/15/2001 2:29 AM
Yes, Charles Capps was working on one. I guess it's still in beta test, although since version 6 came out it may have been put on hold.

For now....it is NOT safe to delete forums in ANY fashion! Just turn the forum OFF in the forum settings.
Posted By: Shockwave Re: Deleting Forums - 05/15/2001 1:20 PM
That's really dumb.

If I make something I should be able to smash it dammit!

I'll screw around with my test board and see what I can do.
Posted By: BassTeQ Re: Deleting Forums - 05/16/2001 12:53 AM
LOL, please post your findings Shockwave
Posted By: cal Re: Deleting Forums - 05/16/2001 10:02 AM
Should anyone want to create a patch/hack, the reason it's not recommended to just delete the forums.cgi listing is that the UBB used to loop from 1 to the highest forum number in many places, so forums had to be sequentially numbered. As the 5.x line progressed, most of these bits of code were fixed, but it's thought some of them might still exist. This is the thing to check for.

Just a thought smile
© UBB.Developers