UBB.Dev
What it does: The designed behavior displays a blurb under the "Hello Username [ log out ]" text on the first page of the board, indicating if the user has new PMs.

How it does it: If the user is logged in, the routine opens their private message list, then counts the number of messages that have arrived since the user logged in.

Minimum IQ required: 100.

For the complete instructions: http://solareclipse.net/Charles/pm_on_first_page_beta1.txt

If you have problems installing it and post in this thread, you do so with the understanding that I can and will flame the living daylights out of you if you do something stupid. smile

EDIT: Link updated.

[ May 27, 2001 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Borg ]
Used it on 6.02. The only thing off (obviously) is that the code has changed so some lines are further down, but you were clear.

I have the Easy Hits Counter, Removed Auto sig, Whos Online and Server load hack and your instructions still matched up fine. Obviously, the Whos Online is in the same spot in one are, but apparently my IQ is over 100 because it works laugh

Just thought I would report in that it works AND mention to you.... People LOVED the old wav file it could play on a new PM. Any chancing of coding that in later on, even if it is optional?
The day that I ever voluntarially place an embedded sound in a page is the day I keel over and DIE.

That is a no.

Besides, due to the somewhat inaccurate nature of the hack, it wouldn't be a good thing....
Ummm, this mod sucks!

Here's my problem. See, I'm using UBB 5.37 (latest version?), which I downloaded from a warez site, and the hack doesn't even work! I mean, I CHMODded all my files to 644, then I opened up ultimatebb.cgi in Microsoft Word, but still nothing works!

It can't be my server, because I'm hosted with freedom 2 surf, so there's no problems there. I suggest you go back to programming school, Charles, because this is certainly not a very good hack at all.

If anyone can help me, plz email me at warezmaster2k1@cgiwarez4free.com . Thanks!
*LOL!*
Posted By: JP Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/08/2001 6:32 AM
Greetings:

It's not working with 6.01 for some odd reason. Any ideas?

Yours In CyberSpace,
John Vranesevich
Founder, AntiOnline.com
Yes. You are an idiot.

Next please.

(Psst, how about reading the instructions and providing HELPFUL FEEDBACK).

I've updated the instructions due to an inaccuracy... doesn't account for nonstandard Members directory locations.
quote:
LOL! laugh
Thx
quote:
John, I am pretty sure CC is referring to the instructions stating that it is meant for 6.03. You might consider upgrading anyways to get the bugfixes and aditional features as well. smile

CC, nice work... looks real good in the instructions, tho I might choose to keep the username/logout/pm counter on the same line and shorten the notification text just a little if it needs, but exactly what I had hoped for.

Nevermind, upon looking at the front page again, there's 2 lines of text from the member total and welcome new member text, so 2 lines would work fine.

The onlly thing I can see that might be confusing would be the editing of ubb_forum_summary.cgi - blah blah blah.. erasing a lot of text.

Nevermind, re-read again.. it looks clear. Nice work. smile
Well.. that was a perfectly wasted post too... smile I hope John at least read my post laugh
quote:
Is he serious?
Thanks a lot CC, works great for me.

Good job wink
quote:
I don't think so. laugh
Great hack ! smile

By the way Allen, have you installed this hack on UBBDEV? If i log out & go to forum summary, i saw that i have 8 new private messages just above the Who's Online table. Infact i have nothing at all.

aaron
quote:
yeah me too! At first it was 4, now it's 8. Just posted something about that on suggestions.
Posted By: CNCR Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/08/2001 11:26 AM
great hack charles, i like the normal instructions your ones are confusing. things like

############
FIND $hello#
############

are allot better, anyway it works great with my 6.3 smile
Oh FFS now I'm going to have to update to v6.03 (thanks UBB authors =]) and spend several days re-adding hacks =) - fun - NOT.

The problem seems to occur with the 'main portion' of the code for the hack itself under 6.01 - not any of the other items for placement and such. Will work in v6.02 and v6.03 though, but 6 and 6.01 are trouble. I love the UBB authors; they make life a living hell for hack monkeys.
Works for me... although it ditched my who's online on the forum summary page. aahhh, the wonders of hacking. laugh

[ April 08, 2001: Message edited by: diettalk ]
Posted By: HSN Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/08/2001 3:16 PM
great hack Charles work for me......
Dietalk, if you lost it, recheck the line that tells you:

4) Scroll down to around line 105. There will be the following two lines:

#display onscreen
print "$ThisHTML"; exit;

ABOVE those two lines, place the code mentioned above.

Whos online goes between the above mentioned code, make sure you didnt erase it. You should look something like this:

my $pmWording = &CheckPMs if $ubber[4] =~ /^d{8}$/;
&ParseThisHTML("", $pmWording);
#display onscreen
$ThisHTML =~ s//$replace/g;
print "$ThisHTML"; exit;
} # end forum_summary
Thanks CC, works wonders!
Thanks Tim... but that is exactly how it is in my code. I'm checking all of the other code as well.

John

quote:
Charles..
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000105

You should probably read that laugh
I tried to e-mail the warez guy to flame him. I got a message back from my ISP saying there was delivery problems. I checked it out. And it must have been a joke, cause the domain cgiwarez4free.com doesn't exist. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard at a lamer in my life though. If nothing else, thank you so much for a good laugh.
quote:
I believe borg is beta testing a little different version here. It looks similar to the old v5 notification.
Uhh ... you know that Matt Jacob is a mod here at UBBDev right? Plus the fact Matt's statement was a joke right?

q
quote:
Ignorance is cureable but stupidity is for life....
laugh laugh laugh
oh god. Someone help me. *falls over*
Posted By: Ell Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/08/2001 10:47 PM
My god! His heart stopped! This man needs a medic!

ROFLMAO Matt, BTW! laugh
911 reporting what is your emergency?
mad
I agree with Matt... this MOD does bite... but CC, could you help me install it on my l337 forum? laugh
I like this hack so much I advertised it on eBay with a picture of UBBDEV. I have sold 653 copies so far at $50.00 per whack.

Incredible.
Thanks Charles
quote:
Maybe this explains it. Today, it is fine again smile

Great hack.

Aaron
What? You guys say warez bad, but everyone I think uses warez UBB boards here in Europe. Excuse me, my English not so good. If you need warez UBB for free, I have 5.37 to 5.94l, plz contact me on email server to get your copy!!!! And have fun!!!
Let's see, for the record...

I don't live in Europe, or anywhere other than Chicago, Illinois. I don't run a warez site, or go by that "warezmaster" alias. I DO own a current UBB license, and I run version 6.03. I AM a moderator here, of 3 forums, actually. I speak as good of English as anyone else I know, and my Spanish ain't too shabby, either. Please DO NOT contact me for a free copy of UBB, because you won't get it. Oh, and there's no such thing as version 5.94l, unless Ted has it somewhere on his HD.

Any more questions? laugh laugh

BTW, this is a great hack, CC, keep up the good work. And to the people who thought I was serious, well, you know what they say... :rolleyes:

[ April 08, 2001: Message edited by: Matt Jacob ]
Ok, I fess up. I didn't sell any copies of this Hack on eBay. It just wasn't true. It was Yahoo Auctions I sold them on wink.
quote:
I bet you feel so smart right now, I mean come on, that was obviously a joke! I mean even if this person was stupid enough to have all those warez urls, he wouldn't say that v5.37 is the latest version in a version 6 forum.
With enough playing around with this hack I got it do to exactly what I wanted.

[admin edit] please do not link to graphics with words that would normally get caught in our censor, thanks for understanding[/admin edit]

^^

I plan to add "who's online" to the utilities as soon as it comes out of beta. smile

[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: FDSA ]

[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]
quote:
Don't flame the hell out of me Charles, please. laugh So the PM notification is only updated when the person makes a new login? I was thinking more along the lines of it would check your PMs each time you visit ultimatebb.cgi. Make that would be too extensive, eh? I personally always stay logged in, because no one else uses this computer. Would this mean that my PM notification would never be updated, even if I DO have new pms? Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding this.

Also...why is this hack designed to show already read PMs in the notification? Shouldn't it only show NEW pms?

Don't flame me Charles. wink
It checks each time, but it only will flag PMs new that are newer than your last visit cookie, which is set whenever you log in andor visit the board for the first time in a browser session.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/09/2001 10:06 AM
Great mod laugh

[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
Posted By: FDSA Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/09/2001 10:14 AM
quote:
Damn, I just wanted to make an example of what I did.

I'll just bleep out the text. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: FDSA Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/09/2001 10:16 AM
Hahah..... I should stop using profanity in my forum titles.
quote:
i will say this slowly and only once

y o u
c o u l d
n o t
s e e
a
j o k e
i f
i t
s m a c k e d
y o u
r i g h t
o n
y o u r
d u m b
a s s
h e a d
how can i make it look like here? in a table?
By not using a sig image the size of Texas and by using the thing stuck inside your head called a BRAIN. Did you or did you not read the IQ requirement? *sigh*
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/09/2001 9:11 PM
Sorry

[ April 09, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
Remove that code.

You are prohibited from creating or distributing modifications of my code.

Read the intro text.

If someone wants to customize it, they MUST use their BRAINS and do it on their own.
Charles- I'd just like to explain what I did.

None of your actual code.

You go into ubb_lib.cgi, and copy some of the forum table code, and play around with the colspan by using this code.

Code
code:

Then what you take the PM mesages variable and put it in there.

Then in the template file you just put the before the end of the forum table.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/09/2001 9:36 PM
That's what I said! laugh
Will this be in the next UBB 6.04? Since Charles seems to be a coder for Infopop.

Either that or a hit man.
Maybe in 6.1.0, capps?
it'd be nice to have

[ April 10, 2001: Message edited by: MasterMind ]
Probably not, unfortunately.
why not? it'd add something new too the scripts.
Circumventing the cache, even in this kind and gentle way, is not a Good Thing. Things like this and Who's Online will prolly never make it into the standard release. frown
hey i was wondering if you inserted:
Code
code:

after:
Code
code:

in public_forum_summary.pl would it disable the cache?
Charles, can I have permission to distribute a simple modification of your hack? All it does is make the notification look "pretty", and I'm guessing anyone with an IQ over 90 could install it.

smile

I've put all the stuff in qq~'s, so quotes cant mess things up.

If you'd like to see the code, e-mail me.
double c:

<>

now, granted i fall way below the IQ requirement (my dad helped me with the big woids), but... would it be possible on this new ubb to have the PM notification update on each visit to ultimatebb.cgi? cuz, if all its able to do is notify you each time you come to the boards, i dont think it'd be too useful for my forum (not that others wouldnt)
nevermind I got it, nice hack !
quote:

Bahahahaaaahaaaa, rofl, oh my lord, I cant stop laughing *lol*
FDSA: Permission denied. *L* I'm going to do a little enhancement and work with Borg to come up with a common cache-friendly routine... Stay tuned for Beta 2. The final release will be modified+distributable.

drkknght: Not possible without additional cookie setting, which will increase the complexity ten fold...
quote:
I don't understand?

FDSA's add-on hack is his own code. And makes your hack look alot better. It's very hard to even notice the little "Private Message waiting" message you have from your hack. His cleans it up a bit and makes it look nice. You should check it out. Look how it is setup here - http://www.ls6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

email me for a temporary login/pass if you don't feel like creating one.
Charles, can I release my hack when yours comes out of beta?

I think that users will appreciate it. The users of my board didn't realize that PM notification was even there until I modified it.

I understand you don't want to be flooded with people's complaints that were caused by my hack but it is very simple, and I will wait until yours comes out of beta. smile
1) This is beta code.

2) This is beta code.

3) This is beta code.

4) This is beta code.

That is the justification behind not permitting modifications.

Deal with it.

If you don't want to deal with it, learn how to program and make your own bloody hack.
quote:
I said when it comes out of beta. smile
i've a problem, not display privatemessage frown i've ubb 6.02 easy view and whoisonline hack, pls help me!
Prova, read the instructions please.
I`ve got the same Problem, no Errors but not display Privatemessage. Using Whoisonline hack too confused

Please help
sonic: have you actually gotten someone to send you a pm?
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/13/2001 3:47 PM
It was installed with Who's online hack in 6.03 without any problem, but in 6.04 it doesn't show it either with the same mods as in 6.03.
@kaak
Yes, it doesen`t display on the Main Page
using 6.03
@Charles Capps
this URL is death: http://kurodot.org/Charles/pm_on_first_page_beta1.txt

Please, can you check it?

Thanks,
Stephan

P.S.: SORRY for my bad english!!! wink
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 04/13/2001 5:17 PM
That's weird...
Now I removed Who's Online's from the 3 places in forum_summary, uploaded and checked but it didn't work then I put them again exactly in the same place, and it's fine smile
The server hosting Kurodot is offline at the moment - I'll upload the file in another location when I get home tonight.
ok, thanx!
please write here, if you have another server.

Greeting,
Stephan
Can someone direct me to a place where I can get this hack? It sounds great, but the url that Charles posted origionally no longer works frown

Thanks in advance.
No. Charles will fix the URL. You can not get the hack from another source. Sorry.
Whoops! Sorry! Insert foot in mouth now... I guess I shoulda read through the post completely before posting smile Looking forward to getting it!
quote:
lolol
Not exactly sure what he expects people to do when posting on a forum for UBB Hackers and forum hobbyists. Actually he's kind of rude considering his official position @ InfoPop =).

Hate the narcs hehe – don't restrict my freedom yadda yadda. Is it really so hard to say the word "Please" instead of hitting anybody like a dictator the minute they even so much as 'question' something?
Pardon my rudeness.

I simply hate idiots.

And I really hate idiots when they try to install code that they do not understand, then screw it up and expect someone to fix their mistake.

New URL for the hack: http://solareclipse.net/Charles/pm_on_first_page_beta1.txt
I like the idea of this hack, but for some reason, it won't work 100% for me... Sometimes I log in, and it works the way it should (ie tell me I have a message waiting), and other times it just says there is no new messages.. I haven't figured out any patterns to it, but there must be something I am overlooking..

Thanks for the hack.
How i can get it in to a box like here in ubbdev?
and how i can add a picture right next to it?
Thanks
Hmmm, simple question wink

I want the "PM" part of the "You have x new PMs since your last visit" text to link directly to the Profile, so they can just click on that and check their messages.

How do I go about doing that? Tried adding HTML to that part in the UBB_LIB.CGI but I got all sorts of compilation errors. So, how do I put in a link to that message? TIA...
use html, its your friend. tipsy
Found out what I was doing wrong smile

Since the part at the end of ubb_lib.cgi:

return "
You have $counter new PMs since your last visit."

already had quotation marks in them, my href tags were driving it crazy coz of redundant quotation marks:

return "
You have $counter new
PMs since your last visit."

So I tried:

return "
You have $counter new
PMs since your last visit."

And it worked, hehehe... oh well...
it works great for me awesome hack!
Posted By: Bo$$ Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 05/12/2001 10:26 PM
where's the link???
quote:
if you take a look to the top of this page you see it...if not here it is:

http://solareclipse.net/Charles/pm_on_first_page_beta1.txt
quote:
Does this dude seem like a dick or is it just me?
First of all bizkit its not you.. Charles I respect your ability with programing these modifications, But are naturally this arrogant. You say you hate idiots, but what makes an idiot, because somebody asked you a simple question cause maybe they are not intelligent in this line of work, you want to belittle them, believe me Charles I highly doubt you are talented at everything, probably computers are your life. Basically I'm saying in the computer world you might be very important, but off the computer you are just that small little right field kid waiting for the ball to come his direction. JUST please STOP BEING ARROGANT!
fyi this mod conflicts with the whos online mod
I don't check it!
Could someone PLZ Install it for me? confused confused confused
My ICQ UIN is: 105806758 PLZ help me!
I cracked up when he said he opened it up in microsoft word and when he chomodded ( the old UBB5 used ultimate.cgi not ultimatebb.cgi) Oh well errors are errors don't have to clarify in jokes.
There is a similar hack, coded by e@sy. It uses a different technique and solid as a rock. I strongly recommend e@sy's ViewPMInfo hack.

On a side note, e@asy is a helpful and friendly guy. He won't call you an idiot..

freeTV

[ May 25, 2001 11:12 PM: Message edited by: freeTV ]
charles a quick question. i read that this mod relies on cookies to tell if the user has new PM's...it would then be pointless to install this mod in say, a school environment where people can post from any one of 300 PC's.

We dont have roving profiles either.
Thank you !
Just installed on ubb605 with wol4.00 and the hack works great smile
charles,
just do not post your code here if you cannot deal with people. beeing that arrogant is makes me think of a depressive and unintegrated guy.
what was your last time you have been at a party? go there and socialize yourself.
for sorry,
alex
Posted By: Soul Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 07/05/2001 10:07 PM
quote:

Dunno bout you guys, but thats apology enough I feel... so stop jumping on the wagon...whaddya want to do? Sue him?
Getting this error after installing it:

Error including required files: syntax error at c:inetpubwwwrootthedominioncgi-bin/ubb_lib.cgi line 1353, near "BEGIN sub ParseThisHTML " Can't use global @_ in "my" at c:inetpubwwwrootthedominioncgi-bin/ubb_lib.cgi line 1354, near "= @_" syntax error at c:inetpubwwwrootthedominioncgi-bin/ubb_lib.cgi line 1357, near "}" Compilation failed in require at c:inetpubwwwrootthedominioncgi-bincp.cgi line 50. Make sure these files exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

Running UBB 6.02 - Installed it several times just to be sure it wasnt me.

Any ideas? Been hacking UBB for quite a while, so I know its inserted correctly.

[ July 05, 2001 04:28 PM: Message edited by: DD2k2k ]
Pleas read the thread again. The whole thing. Every message.

Then read the hack install doc again.

One more time.

There, hopefully you'll understand what "NO SUPPORT" means now. smile

Thank you, come again!
Worked for me, no problems.

It would be neato if the PM wording was actually a link to the PMs. The PMs are at /cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=my_profile
Can someone show me how to do that being that I just qualify for this hack with an IQ of 101 laugh

Thanks
Steve
www.ravensnest2.com/ravensboard.htm
hmmmmmm well i didnt read anything but the first few posts but my 150 IQ must have doen me well because i got in on one try wothout any mistakes on ubb version 6.05 that ahs allready been hacked the heck and back

so thanks for the cool hack

and i actually like your way of instructions

i didnt ifnd it difficult at all in any manner

NICE!!!!

lol

~Scott
The hack works perfectly on my 6.04d when the Who's Online hack installed. Thanks Charles! smile

[ July 11, 2001 12:01 AM: Message edited by: Icy Squall ]
Posted By: Degen Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 07/12/2001 10:53 AM
This hack works great for me, along with Amy Khar's PM to username hack and the PMLink hack by FreeTV, but I'm noticing something weird. If I logout and then login again, it won't say anything about private messages at all (not even "you have no private messages"), it just shows a period. If you hit refresh it comes back though. I can live with it, but it's just kind of annoying. Any help would be appreciated smile

See ya,
Posted By: Degen Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 07/12/2001 11:13 AM
OK, now I found out that refreshing only brings it back for me, nobody else. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the cookies.

See ya,
I read through the instructions on this one. Can someone send me better installation instructions as the ones posted were slightly confusing..

Thanks.. send it to [email protected]
okay, i got a question... it puts the PM Notification on the main pages by using SSI, correct? If so, is there a way around using SSI? Stupid NT Server will not do SSI unless the page has a .shtml extension.
installed and working perfectly on my ubb 6.05
took all of 5 minutes

Im glad to see im not the only one thats
Stupid Intolerant

Thanks for the great hack
I have some problems hacking the ubb_forum_summary.cgi I have other hacks, and I think that is what is screwing up, will someone straighten my code please?

I did this...
Code
[/code]

For the first instance...

and this for the second instance...
Code
</pre></div></div><br><br><br>And this for the last instance..<br>[code]
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 08/12/2001 4:53 PM
And it didn't work? Which error did you get?
Software error on like 87
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] PM Notification on Front Page (Beta 1) - 08/13/2001 3:12 PM
What's line 85-90?
quote:
Originally posted by wicked1367:
okay, i got a question... it puts the PM Notification on the main pages by using SSI, correct? If so, is there a way around using SSI? Stupid NT Server will not do SSI unless the page has a .shtml extension.

I am not shure what you have to do on NT server.
And I am not shure what you mean by "main pages".
If you mean an external indexpage outside ubb, and you are running Apache, you could try to set the "xBitHack On" in the httpd.conf within the
xBitHack on

and chmod +x index.html(the calling page...and YES, you DONT have to name it .shtml)

xBitHack on is a nice way to avoid using the .shtml extention.
Hope this can be of any help, if not it could serve as a peace of good information for similar issues

And also try