UBB.Dev
Ok, it took me a while, but with a lot of help from Freakscene, we have a beta now. I've tested this on UBB 6.04c on a Win2000 server and everything worked perfectly. Here's a copy and paste from the doc giving all the info on it, saying what it does, and any problems with it:

#############################################
###
### HACK NAME: Glowing Names
###
### VERSION: 0.3 Beta 4/29/01 - tested on UBB 6.04c
###
### AUTHORS: Ramirez ([email protected])
### &
### Freakscene
###
### -Inspired by and based on the hack by:
### -Arobas ([email protected])
###
### THANKS TO:
### -Freakscene for doing all the CP stuff and a lot of
### the documentation
### -Mightymod for helping me troubleshoot an error and
### giving me the idea on how to fix the 'RadioFieldHyp'
### problem.
###
### FEATURES:
### -Admin assignable custom glow colors, glow strengths,
### and text colors for the names of admins, mods, and
### members within a thread.
### -Admin, Mod, and Member colors and strengths can all
### be set independently
### -Toggles to Enable or Disable glow color and text
### color on each individual status.
### -If Disabled, custom text colors are used
### -Each style can have unique settings
### -Compatible w/ the UBB Cache
###
### PROBLEMS & CONCERNS:
### -No idea if it's mod perl compliant. Can someone
### test it and find out please?
### -I don't use Netscape and don't know if these tags
### work in it. Can someone test please?
###
### VERSION HISTORY
### .03 Beta
### -Fixed documentation to install a missing subroutine
### if you did not have UBB Hypercells by Freakscene
### installed
###
### .02 Beta
### -Changed status check to look at actual status in
### member profile rather than title. Should be more
### compatible with other mods and better all around.
###
### .01 Beta
### -Initial Release
###

Notice the stuff at the bottom; I need help testing please! If you have any problems with it, suggestions for improvement, or info on the things I stated I need help with, post here or email me.

Here's what your CP should look like when you're done. Make sure you have all the radio buttons set to Enable.

[Linked Image]

Here's the doc:

http://news.markeedragon.net/Ramirez/Glowing_Names.txt

[ April 30, 2001 03:46 AM: Message edited by: Ramirez ]
This link seems to be not available..
frown
quote:
confused i think it's fixed smile
Hack installed. If i enter the Stylesconfiguration in cp under the normal Sytlessettings, i got a blue window saying this:

Code
code:

I installed that part again, no change..

whats that, where i have to search ?!
Ha ! Deleted all the "Hyp"-Extensions, it worked. Saving the styles succesfull. Cleared chache, but no glowing Names, all as usual frown

Isnt this hack compatible with replybyuser-hack from gasic ?
You mean you took the "Hyp" off of "RadioFieldHyp"? That's freakscene's stuff, so I'll have to ask him about it. As for it not showing any changes, do you have a link to your boards I could see? Also, could you email me a copy of your var_styles for the style template you have it setup on?
[email protected]

I just added a picture of what your CP should look like when you're done. Make sure you have all of those fields and that all the radio button fields are set to "Enable".

[ April 27, 2001 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Ramirez ]
Oh, and what browser are you using?
All looks like your Screenshot.

BTW: You have new Mail smile
Your variables file looks fine, and your browser should work fine with this mod. What forum do you have this style applied to? Also, have you cleared the cache?
Uh, i think here lies the problem, i allready wondered about "apply to your forums you want".

How do i apply the glowing names to special forums ?!

I thought its global...

Maybe this is the problem..
BTW: Yes cache was flushed and i never had other Templates as the standard one...so all Forums are assigned to standard. (Which vars_Style1.cgi is for, isnt it ?)

THX for you support again ...
Yeah, if you only have one template, then all the forums should be using it. I looked at your boards and the code isn't showing up. Could you email me your public_topic_page.pl? I'm off to class for a couple of hours, but I'll look at it when I get home.
Okay, erm, again this:

Can it be, that your Hack and the lastreplybyuser-hack wont work together.

File emailed..
Give me a link to which mod you are talking about; I'm not sure which it is. I have the 'Last Reply By In Forum' by Slurpee installed with this just fine, but you said the one you had installed was by qasic. Give me a link and I'll look at it, shouldn't be a problem though. I'll look at your public_topic_page
Here you can get the one by qasic.

UPPS, its the self one, sorry wink
Its not qasic ones. Its Slurpees one

[ April 27, 2001 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Mightymod ]
Yeah, those two are compatible, I have them both installed. There are a couple of possibilities I'm looking at right now. One is that it might not be compatible with 6.04b, but I don't see why it wouldn't. Another possibility is that it's not compatible with Avatars or custom status that you have installed. But the most likely possibility I think is that it is not recognizing the user status, so the IF statements aren't catching things properly.

Do me a favor. Turn on the glow effect and custom color for everyone, clear the cache, then post here and let me know that you've done that. I'll take a look and see if it changed anything in the HTML output.

Oh, and authorize me on your boards so I can help test a little smile
I'm going to go play frisbee for about 2 hours. I see it is getting close to 0:00 there, so I don't know how late you will be up. We can continue working on it this weekend if you will be online. I should be back online around 01:00 - 01:30 your time.
Hehe, im playing TO i little, so i have time till 3-4 in the night :))

Your are authorized. Or need adminrights ?!
Uhhh, i see the Glowing Effect works with normal Users, but not for Admins ...

If i turn on glowing effect for normal members, ALL members have glowing, but i want ONLY Admins/Mods to glow...danm..

Current settings: Admins yellow, members green, im admin

Seems that the Admins are not recognized..

I installed that Rank/Titles-Hack, i think this affects the admin-recognition for Glowing-hack...
frown frown frown

[ April 27, 2001 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Mightymod ]
Admin rights would be nice, but I can understand if you don't want to give that out smile Here's how to test what's going on. Give each status a different glow and text color, then clear the cache again. If they all show up as the same color, then I'll bet they are all showing up as the 'Member' color. That means it isn't recognizing the titles for anyone, and it's catching everyone under the 'Else' statement at the end that is for normal members. I'm going to be messing around with getting it to check actual permissions rather than title, which should fix your problem.
Ok, I got it fixed to look at actual status rather than titles. It should work for you now. I've changed the install instructions and the new version is .02 Beta. To upgrade, here's what you do:

In public_topic_page.pl
### Find:

if ($user_status eq "$vars_misc{AdminTitle}") {

### Replace with:

if ($user_profile[8] eq "Administrator") {

### Find:

} elsif ($user_status eq "$vars_misc{ModeratorTitle}") {

### Replace with:

} elsif ($user_profile[8] eq "Moderator") {

### Save & Close, Clear Cache

It should work for you now, let me know how it turns out.
Damn youre good, thats it !!!
It works fine..

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU laugh laugh laugh
Hey, no problem smile I was wanting to make that change eventually anyways. Your problem just helped motivate me to get it done faster tipsy
cool thx R
--------------------
Pirate Cove Software
Now, I installed the hack. After firing up my CP and going in to the styles it poped up with a error. The way I corrected it was I searched for Hyp and erased it from the suffix of the field tags.

Everything works fine now. But, I was wondering, why that was in there, and if it was imporant why did it call a error.
[Linked Image]

i got that same error as MM got, i guess i have to delete that HYP crap too, shouldnt you have fixed the txt file :rolleyes:
--------------------
Pirate Cove Software
fixed...coo

--------------------
Pirate Cove Software

[ April 27, 2001 10:53 PM: Message edited by: CtrlAltDel ]
I'll update the doc. I'm not sure on that, as Freakscene did that coding, and it's the same stuff he used for the Hypercells hack. It seems to work more often without the HYP, so out it goes smile Thanks for the input everyone.
Well, I took the Hyp off the RadioFieldHyp in the docs. I then went and tested it on my forums. It works, but it looks funny. For the people that had to do this, do your CP screens look like the one I posted, or do they have large weird colored blocks next to some of the fields?
I think this RadioButtonHyp comes with another hack. And Ramirez used this Routine.

tipsy
Works fine for me.. I have it set so only the Admins name glows.. Thanks..
Oh yeah and there are big grey boxes in the cp that arent in your screen shot.
ah hah! I found it! Thanks MightyMod. It's part of the UBBHypercells mod that wasn't included in the instructions for this one. I'll work on updating the doc later. I'm too tired right now smile
Install Document updated to version .3 Beta. Now gives instructions to install a missing subroutine if you do not have UBB Hypercells by Freakscene installed. If you previously got this to work by taking out all the 'Hyp' parts, I suggest you redo this. It will make your CP look a lot better smile
after i install a new one i get a hold mess on my forum topic page

take a look
http://vietnight.dyndns.org/ubb604c/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000001
never mind i get it fix...
I've tested this on 6.04c now and it works just fine. smile
LOL, just wanted to jump in and say "DOH!!!" for my goof(s) in the instructions tipsy

[Linked Image] - Nice work Ramirez!
Yep, I'm also getting that same error. Without the hyper mod installed?

recheck 5 times,
I instlled a clean copy of ubb 6.04c
and tried to install the mod again. Now, I'm getting this error.

Missing right bracket at /data1/va/repomann/cgi-bin/ubb/Templates/cp_common.pl line 620, at end of line syntax error at /data1/va/repomann/cgi-bin/ubb/Templates/cp_common.pl line 620, at EOF

I'm looking at the doc file for cp_common.pl
and it says:

Code
code:

But now if you look at the orignal code in ubb 6.04c in the same file cp_common.pl you will see a change.

Code
code:

Is there any difference in there or maybe the build? I'm not sure what I did wrong.

quote:
????????

I just downloaded a fresh copy and mine says
Code
code:

[ April 30, 2001 07:46 PM: Message edited by: freakscene ]
Webdaddie, I downloaded and installed 6.04c last night and mine looks normal, just like Freakscene's. You might have gotten a corrupt download or something.

You say you're getting the same error. Same error as whom? What error specifically are you getting?
At first, I got this error.
Code
code:

But as of still now I'm getting this error

Missing right bracket at /data1/va/repomann/cgi-bin/ubb/Templates/cp_common.pl line 698, at end of line syntax error at /data1/va/repomann/cgi-bin/ubb/Templates/cp_common.pl line 698, at EOF

quote:
[ May 01, 2001 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Webdaddie ]
Please help! in cp i get this error

Content-type: text/html
Software error:
Undefined subroutine &main::StrengthRow called at /home/clean/clean-www/ubb/Templates/cp_vars_style.pl line 38.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

when i try to goto styles then into the style
Webdaddie, I downloaded your file and will take a look at it. But I suggest you edit your post and remove the link, you can get in trouble for posting UBB code, just FYI smile

Mr. Clean. I'm working on that exact same error with someone else, but have yet to find the problem. I'm waiting for a reply from him on a couple of things right now.
For the people getting the error where it says that there's a missing bracket, I just looked through the documentation and think I found the error. The error was in the instructions if you did not have Hypercells by Freakscene installed. I'm fixing the doc right now.

# In cp_common.pl find:

sub StrengthRow {

# Above that add:
}

#So it will look like:
}
}
sub StrengthRow {

### Updated to clarify thanks to Webdaddie

[ May 01, 2001 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Ramirez ]
Okay I'm looking at the orignal doc now for cp_common.pl the right bracket is in there already. Even before you updated your doc. Should it be maybe 2 right brackets?
Code
code:
quote:
Update your doc file again
Okay!, that was the ticket!
It works fine now once you install that 2nd right bracket

[ May 01, 2001 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Webdaddie ]
I got a slightly different error this morning. Then I saw the new posts here, but it was a different error, but I tried it anyway. Then it told me I had too many brackets. So that didn't work. Anyway, this is my error:

quote:
I've been looking around using the "bugging template" you've provided with the other error, but to no avail. I'll continue to look though. Let me know if any of you come up with a solution sooner. Better chance of that since I'm still learning.
smile

Thanks.
Tard here. laugh

I added the part that is says to add if you already have HyperCells. Well, I do, but I guess I don't have the latest version or something. I noticed I was missing the radiofieldhyp subroutine, so I went searching for it in the install instructions. Well, it was under the "copy if you don't have hypercells" part. Go figure. Another crisis diverted. Okay, I'm done talking to myself now.

cool
Update your doc file again
Okay!, that was the ticket!
It works fine now once you install that 2nd right bracket

#############################
## cp_common.pl (Template)
#############################

Code
code:
[/b]

[ May 01, 2001 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Webdaddie ]
Webdaddie, sorry I wasn't clear. That's what I meant, to add a 2nd right curly bracket. I should have said that after you add the curly bracket you should have two smile If you look at the doc, I did update it to have two curly brackets already. Thanks for helping me find that everyone smile

I did update my "fix" post though so it makes more sense. Thanks Webdaddie.

[ May 01, 2001 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Ramirez ]
"GLAD I COULD HELP!"

quote:
I made all the changes did it all perfect changed it in style settings to make mod and admins glow red at No5 strength..

Cleared the cache AND......

No Glowing Names!!

Do you have any Idea what could be wrong???
quote:
what browser you using?
Was Using Netscape Communicator Then noticed you had to use Internet Explorer so I have been using Internet Explorer Now and It wasnt working still....
I need a link to your site if possible. After that, I will need to look at your files to see what's wrong. The first two to look at are the style variable file for the style that has this on it, and the public_topic_page.pl file.
Um ok site here .....

http://zerter.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi

You can use the username

Gone laugh

[ May 02, 2001 06:50 AM: Message edited by: ZeRtEr ]
I'm seeing Blue glowing names on your test message. What version of IE are you using? Maybe it only works on certain versions. I posted with the member name you gave me and didn't see a glow on it, but admin names are glowing.
Bahh!!

Im using IE 5.0 Mac version....

Um not sure if it doesnt work for mac but it should......

Well thats sweet this is my first hack install to laugh

Glad I went well ......

Thanks for verifying it then mate

Do you reckon it will help If i get the newest version of IE or go back to an older version ?
I'll see if I can find a macintosh around here to test on. A newer version could always help, but I'm pretty sure other people have gotten glow effects on IE 5, and I doubt they changed their html compatibility between platforms, but it's Microsoft, who knows tipsy
Thanks Mate Your a champ laugh
Yeah, this is really cool!

Just a bit of help, if you would. smile

With Al Bundy's MegaMod hack, how do I make it so that MegaMod's get their own glow just like Admins, Mods and Members do ?? I could try to hack it so that they can, but would probably ruin it. laugh

Also, can I use this hack as well as Jimbo's Member Titles hack ?
I haven't used either hack, so I'll have to take a look at them and get back to you. This is finals week for me, so it could take a while. If you don't hear anything in a few days, post again and it will hit me with an email as a reminder smile
This tag works only with IE ramirez, netscape display the glowing effekt not. that´s normal. For your testfile hehe..
iS THERE A *.shw FOR THIS YET
No, I've never done any .shw stuff. If someone wants to make one they are more than welcome smile
I used to have a hack on UBB v5 where instead of an icon for a user's profile, you could just click on their name for their profile (and the icon shown in the icon row is not shown, since the way to get a user's profile is to click on their name).

I was thinking of using this hack, but it also seems the perfect place to implement this. How hard would it be to add code to this so that in addition to glowing or not (no matter what status a user name is), you can also click on the PDN to see their profile?
It actually shouldn't be that hard. I need to see the code for creating the profile link, and just add it to the code that creates the name HTML code. I'm not at home, so I can't look through the code to say for certain. I'll try to remember to look at it when I get home later this week.
Is there anyway making this like the one for 5x. It would be real nice if you can make the font and glow option and the strenght options available individually in each members profile.. That'd be nice.. Is it possible?
Well, I made this pretty much the way I wanted to use it on our boards. I wanted to be able to control the colors to make it fit the color scheme, and also keep the glows from being too big. Also, with 7000 members, managing people that pick really obnoxious colors is a pain. It might be possible to do what you want, but it would be a completely different hack. This hack stores the settings in the style variables file, whereas what you want would have to use each individual member file. I might look at this in the future, but I don't have the time to do it right now, sorry frown

Anyone is welcome to use the code to develop a different version though.
Well, this hasn't had any problems in a while, so I guess I'll declare it finished. I've got shw and mhk files, but I need to go back over them since the shw was missing one step.
sigh.... Fixed my own idiocy.... forget about this post... frown

[ June 23, 2001 09:11 PM: Message edited by: jlaine ]
Great Hack. Works fine om my Forum.
© UBB.Developers