UBB.Dev
Posted By: JB007 [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/14/2001 6:35 PM
Hi guys,
I've recently done the UBBNews hack which works exactly as 'slashbb' hack for UBB5. The new hack is compatible with the caching system and is completely configurable through the CP

Here it is .

Best Regards,

[ May 15, 2001 04:36 AM: Message edited by: JB007 ]
Do you have a demo?
I'm having two problems so far. First is that it seems to be using it's own Style template. If I select the template I usually use, I receive this error:
Can't locate c:/lmalla/ubbcgi/vars_style_2.cgi at c:lmallaubbcgiubbnews.cgi line 24.

Even if I change the standard template to my current colors, it still uses a different set.

Second problem is that if I select any other forum # other than 1, I receive this error:

Unable to open thread# 000145: No such file or directory at c:lmallaubbcgiubbnews.cgi line 72.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/14/2001 9:13 PM
Thanks for your feedback DGMayor, anyway here is the fix:
1. Open ubbnews.cgi
2. Find:
Code
code:
3. Replace with:
Code
code:
4. Find:
Code
code:
5. Replace with:
Code
code:

Hop this works!
Demo please
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/14/2001 9:56 PM
Ok, here is a screen shot:
[Linked Image]

[ May 14, 2001 02:56 PM: Message edited by: JB007 ]
looking good JB, and thanks for the Arabic wordlets...
Posted By: DGMayor Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/14/2001 10:54 PM
Two other minor problems.

First, If you don't use the Posticons, it leaves a broken image in it's place. Some code should be added to check if Posticons are allowed or not (I just removed that cell of the table).

Second, it doesn't want to post the Graemlin's correctly. Pretty sure this is a UBB issue, and not a UBBNews issue, but it bugs me wink

Basically for the Graemlins, it instead of showing up at www.lmalla.com/ubb/smile.gif it just tries to display it from www.lmalla.com/smile.gif.

Other than that I'm diggin it. Only reason I have yet to switch over to it from Newspro is because I like the fact that newspro archives my news. I'm still debating whether or not I want to lose that funcionality. smile

I also did some cosmetic edits here and there. If you wanna check it out, here are some links:

My Website Using Newspro
Testing the UBBNews (with similiar ...lso has the Who's online SSI at the top)
My UBB :), which of course is linked from the main website

Anyways, the more I play with it, the more tempted I am to switch to it smile Keep up the good work!

[ May 14, 2001 03:56 PM: Message edited by: DGmayor ]
Posted By: M2sc-com Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 12:36 AM
I fond an error in the readme in cp_lib.cgi where you have:

## Find:
elsif ($_[0] eq 'search') { $CurrentTab = qq%$vars_wordlets_cp{search_settings}%;

## Under it add:
elsif ($_[0] eq 'search') { $CurrentTab = qq%$vars_wordlets_cp{search_settings}%; }
elsif ($_[0] eq 'ubb_news') { $CurrentTab = qq%$vars_wordlets_cp{ubb_news_settings}%;

it should be:

## Find:
elsif ($_[0] eq 'search') { $CurrentTab = qq%$vars_wordlets_cp{search_settings}%;
}

## Under it add:
elsif ($_[0] eq 'search') { $CurrentTab = qq%$vars_wordlets_cp{search_settings}%; }
elsif ($_[0] eq 'ubb_news') { $CurrentTab = qq%$vars_wordlets_cp{ubb_news_settings}%; }

otherwise it causes an error when you try to load cp.cgi in your browser
Posted By: M2sc-com Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 12:59 AM
hey is there any way i could call this into like a public_news.pl so people can see it at ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=news
Posted By: Travis Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 1:02 AM
heres a demo if anyone wants it:

http://www.zeldaglitches.com/SSI/main.shtml

I have done some modification to it though btw.
I also seen that error and corrected it.

The options will load correct in the cp.

But when calling the ubbnews.cgi I still keep getting an error 500
it is not working for me, it is not putting the post there. See at that url
http://www.m2sc.com/
Posted By: Travis Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 2:41 AM
M2sc-com

make sure ur ubbnews.cgi is pointing to the right perl address. Mine wasn't showing up either until i changed the address.
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 4:05 AM
the icons not showing up issue is is due to the vars_config variables NonCGIPath and NonCGIURL being different. in public_ubb_news.pl the icon is represented as:
Code
code:
when it should be :
Code
code:
for those who dont have the same url path as web server path.
excellent work mr. bond.

any chance of more features in the future? wink wink some sort of archiving would be nice, as mentioned above. this also is one reason i am hesitant. i like to keep (have/need) old news due to the way my site is laid out.

[ May 14, 2001 09:22 PM: Message edited by: DPK ]
ok love it, i forgot that i have to chmod .shtml files on my new server laugh
Okay do I leave the -w in there

#!/perl/bin/perl -w

quote:
the -w executes perl so that it scans the lines of the script for errors carefully and prints them out if it finds any. sorta for debugging, shouldnt matter if you take it off or not.
Posted By: Travis Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 4:27 AM
nope, or at least i didnt
Posted By: Travis Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 4:28 AM
eh, DPK beat me to it laugh
Nope by putting the correct perl in there I'm getting this error now:

Can't locate /data1/va/repomann/cgi-bin/ubb/Forum1/forum_1.threads in @INC (@INC contains: /data1/va/webs4free/cgi-bin/ /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-freebsd /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at ubbnews.cgi line 26.

quote:
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 5:46 AM
Ok guys thank you all for your feedback. I made a lot of errors in the script because I was too fast. Anyway I'll try to fix 'em all afternoon. Bye
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 11:39 AM
Ok, I've updated the link , so go and re-download. The new release includes the fixes for the cp_lib.cgi and the template file. I've also added a check for the icons.

Best Regards,
JB007
Very nice work!

Quick question. Can you set the number of characters to be displayed on your news page or does it only allow you to display the full thing?

Just wondering, I'm going to install this later today smile
Still getting:

FYI
You are attempting to reach a page that does not exist.
» Please use your browser's back button to return.
where are you getting this at? the cp? you might want to rehack from clean backups
Posted By: Spitz Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 3:12 PM
great hack bond....very nice..... worked for me except the images.. like when i put in a frown like this ( frown ) it shows as a broken link.. it doesn't show the image..
might want to download the new version he let out, he fixed that in the latest one
Posted By: Spitz Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 3:19 PM
i downloaded it like 20 minutes ago..
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 4:03 PM
A quick solution is too add add tag into the page that's calling your script. However, you've to type the FULL url for anylink that is not in your non-cgi ubb dir.
It's still now working . .

Even trying this it will not post.

(BOARD)

quote:
[ May 15, 2001 02:31 PM: Message edited by: DGmayor ]
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/15/2001 11:35 PM
hmm dose not work for me and the debug is not giveing me nothing ??

Executable error due to invalid characters in the file – Suggest re-upload ubbnews.cgi to server via FTP and test again. reupload like 600 times frown

[ May 15, 2001 05:16 PM: Message edited by: indoe ]
I too am having an issue where it doesn't recognize the smilies still. This is after grabbing THE LATEST version as of the time of this post.

If I use the url "http://www.hourofhavoc.com/forums/ubbnews.cgi" it sees the smilies in the "/forums/smilies" directory.

If I use ssi and go to "http://www.hourofhavoc.com/Noname1.shtml" it shows the smilies as being in the "/smilies" directory.

As you can see this is incorrect, it should be /ubb/smilies. =) Hope that helps.
Hey guys i converted my newscript to UBB
the colors are using my old template "need changed" but everything is controled in the cpanel
not completed yet but heres a pic..
allso heres one of many sites using this script for an example..
DEMO IN ACTION

[Linked Image]

[ May 16, 2001 02:23 AM: Message edited by: hurricane rob ]
Funny, I'm not getting anything when calling the SSI, still shows up with nothing posted. I would assume it's calling up the ubbnews.cgi correctly because there are no exec error listing when calling up the ssi. But if you try to call up the ubbnews.cgi this way you will get a FYI
Other then that everything else is working 110%

Looking for suggestions on different designs tables for calling SSI. If you guys have any ideas please let me know please.

Check us out!
The Wanderer's

quote:
[ May 16, 2001 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Webdaddie ]
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 11:56 AM
The file is not a part from ultimatebb.cgi, it's called this way:
Code
code:
And about the smilies, as I said before, add a
in the SHTML page.
Posted By: Charles Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 12:56 PM
nice work !!
I will probably dump newspro now ... wink
An Idea:
Since templates are swappable, people should post some of the neat formats they make for their news up here so other people can just download and 'drop' them in.
as Cal would say 'Just a thought :)'

[ May 16, 2001 07:22 AM: Message edited by: freakscene ]
Thanks, JB. This has been the one major thing we've been waiting on before we upgraded our production forums to UBB6. I'll install this and play around with it this weekend on our test servers.
Ahhh yes, finally!

www.hourofhavoc.com/news.shtml

very sexy...thanks gang.
Posted By: PCdude Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 7:34 PM
i'm having troubles, when i load ubbnews.cgi in my browser, i get an internal server error

i have uploaded al the files in asscie, so that's not the prob

i've checked the perl patch, i corrected it

what am i doing wrong?
I think you are supposed to call it via SSI instead of accessing it directly with your browser.

[ May 16, 2001 12:48 PM: Message edited by: freakscene ]
Posted By: PCdude Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 7:46 PM
that doesn't work for me either
you don't load it is your browser you edit the settings in the CP and call it into your page using:
Code
code:
What does this program do exactly? It looks like you cna post messages to a forum, and they automatically will update your news pages. Is that right? That would be awesome for me, since it takes me forever to update news sections, and it would let moderators who have no HTML experience update the site as well!
Doh! I have to have SSI access to use this script? Damn Simplenet!
Posted By: PCdude Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 7:53 PM
it's not working for me if i load it via ssi or directly via the .cgi file.
what ssi call are you making?

what type of server are you on?
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 8:23 PM
Code
quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M2sc-com:
you don't load it is your browser you edit the settings in the CP and call it into your page using:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">code:

!@$# I was trying to load in in my browser and geting 500err and i was useing the other ssi call now have to re hack becuzz i restord back up thx for the info laugh
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 8:24 PM
He probably never changed the first line in ubbnews.cgi (the one to your perl dir)

Oh, how do I have MULTIPLE slashbb's running. I have one for my Announcements forum, and I want another one for my Submit News forum.
On an Apache server you will more than likely need to use as opposed to exec.

give that a try
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 8:29 PM
Not true freakscene. I'm on an apache and the code works fine (although I don't have my files in a cgi-bin, and I used a "/" to escape the "VC" folder I have the news put in, but that's all besides the point.
Cool, that is nice to know.
I have had problems with past hosts and they told me that was the case (which resolved the problems). Guess they had the exec directive disabled.

I'll give that a shot on my new host when I get home today with a couple other scripts I am using.

Thanks for the info Axeone
Looks good! I'll try it out later today and see how it works out!
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 9:42 PM
ok i got it working really cool mod man thx! laugh
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 9:44 PM
HOW DO YOU HAVE 2 SLASHBB'S RUN!
quote:

here here! smile
I do not think you can yet, maybe in the next version, I would also like to see archiving added in too

quote:
Oksy so you are saying that the call should be made in CP using the intro

or

[ May 16, 2001 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Webdaddie ]
quote:
NOOOO laugh , not in the CP. In a page that allows SSI calls (usually ends with .shtml)
Okay that what I thought. It's still comming up blank. calling the ssi. No errors are showing up at all. Look here at the center box that blank thats whats calling the ssi

http://webs4free.virtualave.net

quote:
got it working, n/m smile

I've noticed also that the code could be better integrated with the ubb's. Might be a future goal. tipsy

[ May 16, 2001 03:43 PM: Message edited by: DPK ]
Posted By: M2sc-com Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/16/2001 10:43 PM
on some servers they make you chmod the file ie. whatever.shtml to 777, my server does
m2sc: yeah, i know, been doing this kinda stuff for about 5 years now. wink It was actually quite a dumb mistake, I didnt change the perl path.

* dpk walks over to the large UBBDev snack table and grabs a sandwich; dpk goes to have fun customizing the news template smile *
What did you change to get it working?

quote:
webdaddy: perl path at the top of ubbnews.cgi.

for anyone who wants to see mine in action:
http://nfs5racing.nfscheats.com

smile
Well, after re download the thing I realized that I did forget to edit the perl again. Boy I feel stupid! But that was the ticket.

Check it out here
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 4:25 AM
quote:
-_-
hey great script. i've been waiting for this forever!

anyways i got it working but the colors are all messed up. go to http://server2048.virtualave.net/jpnetworks/test.shtml. that is where the news is and http://forums.jpneti.com is what my forums look like. I want them both to use the same color scheme. I've set it to do that but it has done it's own for some reason.

another question: i have multiple websites that use the same UBB forum and each site has it's own category. Is there any way for each site to have it's own news?
it uses the colors you set in the ubb
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 4:51 PM
Hi again! I've added two new features to ver1.1: The possibility to grab news from multiple forums, and limiting the characters of the news topics. So go and redownload if you need these features , if you don't need them .. then there is no need to upgrade.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 5:28 PM
This hack is great, but you forgot to change the textcolor and textsize.

[ May 17, 2001 10:30 AM: Message edited by: LK ]
I have not been able to get this mod to work. After 3 attempts all i get is page does not exist. Also, Template setting are not staying in Cp after submit.
Is this SSi only?
Help please.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 5:47 PM
Bug in cp_vars_ubb_news.pl:
&RegField ("If yes, how many characters to display?", "ubbnew_maxchars","no","5","5","How many characters to display for each topic?","$vars_ubb_news{ubbnews_maxchars}");
Should be:
&RegField ("If yes, how many characters to display?", "ubbnews_maxchars","no","5","5","How many characters to display for each topic?","$vars_ubb_news{ubbnews_maxchars}");
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 6:04 PM
It doesn't work here.
My SHTML file is:
Code
code:
(Who's Online works)

My Variables file is:
Code
code:
It doesn't display ANYTHING, only in the source two empty lines.

[ May 17, 2001 11:05 AM: Message edited by: LK ]
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 6:18 PM
In 1.2 make it so that you can grab from multiple forums, but each forum u grab news from has its own SSI file. =)
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 6:19 PM
Software error:
Modification of a read-only value attempted at ubbnews.cgi line 104

that when i turn on characters to display

[ May 17, 2001 11:24 AM: Message edited by: indoe ]
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 6:23 PM
Same here indoe after I changed the first line to #!/usr/bin/perl -w.

[ May 17, 2001 11:29 AM: Message edited by: LK ]
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 6:27 PM
In public_ubb_news.pl
look for

change it to

look better laugh
I have a question here.

Will the news still be viewable if I close the forum ?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 7:53 PM
Well, I made some fixes that hopefully will fix the problem. All you've to do is to re download, reupload the templates and ubbnews.cgi file.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 7:55 PM
Chuck, Well, the ubbnews.cgi file does not check vars_forums.cgi because I don't want to do a lot of file I/O operations. So it will display the news of that forum even if it is closed.
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 9:21 PM
it work great now thx really nice jod

only one thing the smiles doent work but I dont use smiles in Announcements any ways laugh

*runs to delete newspro*

[ May 17, 2001 02:26 PM: Message edited by: indoe ]
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 9:42 PM
Hehe. I wouldn't be that hasty. Newspro is a MUCH better script than UBB News.

I mean that in no offense JB. Your script is awesome, for something that is feeding off of a forum. It really is.

I like newspro because of it's versatility. I use it from news to release dates to previews to even affiliate managing.

I love UBB News though, because my forum members can post to the news =).

I just need to have 2 UBB News programs, than my site can open.
Posted By: M2sc-com Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 11:17 PM
quote:
He did in 1.1
see......
quote:
3rd post from the bottom of page 3
Posted By: M2sc-com Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 11:21 PM
what about it saying which forum it pulled it from say you had movies, video games, and anime it would say From: Anime or From: Movies down where it says how may replies(or else where) the would be helpful if you covered more than one topic on your site laugh
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 11:28 PM
Wait. Dude, what JB did is that he allows is for ONE ubbnews.cgi to load news from more than one source. I am talking about having 2 different ubbnews's.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/17/2001 11:43 PM
M2sc-com, you can easily do what you want through the templates [ public_ubb_news.pl ]. The forum name is the variable: $params->{forumname} , just move it where ever you like smile

Axeone, So you want the ubbnews.cgi to be called with parametres like these:
ubbnews.cgi?forums=1,2,3 .. ? this will allow you to choose different forums for each session.
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 12:21 AM
EXACTLY. That would be perfect =)
Posted By: Thanatos Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 12:41 AM
quote:
yes PLEASE JB007 do a feature like that! I have 5 sites that share the same UBB that each have their own forum. And i need each site to have it's own news on the front page. Could you do something like this? If you do, you will finally help me put my site online! Thank you very very much in advance if you do that!
i tried $params->{forumname} but it is not working
i emailed mr. bond about this feature. hopefully he can integrate this feature into the next version.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 7:25 AM
Ok, I'll do it! You'll be able to choose 'default' forums from the CP and the script can accept other forums numbers from the URL too! if you didn't specify the default forums it'll just display forums you select from the URL.

M2sc-com, make sure you clear the summary cache.
um yeah hopefully that's what i wanted. i didn't understand anything you just said but it's probably just because i'm tired. I look forward to the feature in your next version!
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 9:16 AM
laugh I've done it. Go and redownload, you'll find a file named 'ubbnewsupg1.1.txt' follow the instructions if you are running version 1.1 [ that supports multiple forums ]. If you are not, follow the instructions in in ubbnewsupg.txt first.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 2:27 PM
Really nice, just one bug: IT DOESN'T WORK! tipsy

Execution of ubbnews.cgi aborted due to compilation errors.

It only happened after upgrading to 1.2 from 1.1.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 2:44 PM
Strange, I'm running it fine on my PC [ Win98/Apache ]. Can you give me the full error message?
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 2:49 PM
(or something like that, the same as in your manual and the same as the one that worked in 1.1):
Software error:
Execution of ubbnews.cgi aborted due to compilation errors.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

(or something like that, the same as in your manual):

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

[ May 18, 2001 07:50 AM: Message edited by: LK ]
After upgrading I receive this:

Code
code:
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 3:46 PM
Oh! I see it. I've fixed it, redownload and reupload ubbnews.cgi only.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 3:47 PM
smile Thanks
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 6:21 PM
Bug: I added a smiley, and instead of , it was:
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 7:42 PM
You've to add:
Code
code:
in your SHTML page so that you can view the smilies correctly [ ubb does not store the full path for them ].
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 8:11 PM
You're right, but don't forget the
Check this out.. here is a new one...

Works fine if I go direct and go to:
http://207.106.139.34/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ubbnews.cgi

Ok, nice! Now I stick it in shtml at:
http://207.106.139.34/mmb_bak/

And I get the news, but I also get a lot of junk before the new output.

Help! any ideas?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 9:43 PM
Ok, redownload and reupload ubbnews.cgi again.
Posted By: Axeone Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 10:17 PM
Yeah, I haven't gotten THAT error yet...but something weird.

The function "EXEC CGI" no longer works. I had to use the INCLUDE VIRTUAL function.

Must be the new coding confused
Posted By: gilfil Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 10:34 PM
Mr. Bond,

When I call through the SSI the ubbnews.cgi it goes ok and show the news of the default forum, but, when i call ubbnews.cgi?forums=11 (for exemple) the server gives me in return:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Ps.: I just downloaded the new version 30 minutes ago... frown

Ps2.: Great hack man. laugh

Knutt Ballz

[ May 18, 2001 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Knutt Ballz ]
Posted By: RastaMan Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/18/2001 11:14 PM
Ok.. that new update knocked down more than 1/2 of the junk code that was getting spit out.

There is a little more its pumping out. Could you check:

http://207.106.139.34/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ubbnews.cgi
**Which works fine

and the ssi call at:
http://207.106.139.34/mmb_bak/
**Still shows some additional output.

Thx JB007!
quote:
i have the same problem. it worked fine before but now it doesn't!
I installed UBBnews and when I try to adjust settings in Control Panel, I select 'UBBnews Settings', and it displays
"UBBNews Settings" in bold above the drop down menus, and nothing else.

Any ideas?

x
xtrecate: you are probably missing the templates. upload cp_vars_ubb_news.pl and public_ubb_news.pl from the zip to ure boards 'Templates' directory.
heh, i had uploaded cp_vars~pl into the cgi directory by mistake. thanks D
ok i still haven't gotten it to work but i'm going to upgrade my ubb to the newest version and then trying the news hack again. i sure do hope it works this time.

hey mr. bond i have another idea for a feature. I love the idea how you can retreive the news from different forums and call them from different pages but can you make it so each one can have a different template so each one can have it's own color scheme? This would be great and then this would be the best script in the world!
ok i've upgraded UBB and reuploaded UBB News. Now i have a few questions in the UBB News control panel. Maybe put a wrong setting in there last time.

Where it says 'Forum(s) to grab topics from'. What exactly do I put here? I don't quite understand it.

Where it says 'Maximum forums to be called via URL'. What exactly does this mean? And what do I put there?

Ok hopefully you can answer these questions and it then UBB News will work. I'm scared to access from the page and get an error again so I just want the setting to be exactly right.
quote:
This would be great if we can do this. Our one UBB supports about 20 news pages. Some of them are the exact same forum but we format them differently per the color sets of the sites.

Example www.shatteredcrystal.com shows news from 5 different sites plus it has it's own news in full form. Then if you look at www.markeedragon.com you will see that it's main body news was the headlines for Ultima Online on the other site.

Having the ability to run multiple scripts would be the answer for us as our setup is complex in the fact that we have different color sets and we also have multiple news styles. All of these are running from the SlashUBB for UBB5.
yeah it sure would be great if mr. bond could do this. mr. bond must be gone this weekend as he hasn't posted in a while or replied to my email. can anyone answer my questions above?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/20/2001 11:35 AM
For those who are having troubles with SSI check the perl path and the SSI statement.
Thanatos, "Forum(s) to grab topics from" option sets the default forums that you'd like to retrive news from. For example, if you want to retrive information from forum1 and forum2 you put: 1 2 [ Separate numbers by spaces].
The other option indicates how many forums that could be called via the URL ( ubbnews.cgi?forums=3,4,5 ) It's very necessary to set it to a small number , for example: if you specificed 3 then only three forums could be called, any extra forums will be dropped ( ubbnews.cgi?forums=3,4,5,6,7 forums 6 and 7 will be cancelled ).
Posted By: Thanatos Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/20/2001 11:04 PM
ok good i got it to work. The only problem is that the Table Header Strip Background Color is black and the Table Header Strip Text Color is Black too but i set the text color to be white. How come it doesn't show up as white. I also can't change the regular text color either. It seems that all the text color is black no matter what i do. What is the problem? go to http://server2048.virtualave.net/jpnetworks/index.shtml and see what i'm talking about.

Also mr. bond did you read above the feature request above. I would really like that feature.
Posted By: gilfil Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/21/2001 2:20 AM
Code
code:
it works as you can see here on a test webpage , but when I do use this call:
Code
code:
it does not work properly as you can see on this other test webpage .

Can you see what am I doing wrong ??

Thnx in advance

Knutt Ballz

[ May 20, 2001 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Knutt Ballz ]
Great hack! I'm gonna see if I can't fix a couple of them pesky bugs smile

[ May 20, 2001 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]
Text Color Bugfix:

in public_ubb_news.pl:

>>>Find:

Code
code:

>>>REPLACE WITH:

Code
code:

EDIT: blasted quotation marks smile

[ May 20, 2001 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]
Code
quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Templar:
Text Color Bugfix:

in public_ubb_news.pl:

>>>Find:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">code:

>>>REPLACE WITH:

Code
code:

what is that supposed to do? I still have my text color problems. Is there a setting I am missing or something? I just can't get the text color to change on the black bars. go to http://server2048.virtualave.net/jpnetworks/index.shtml and see what i'm talking about.
ahaha. The hack for the news uses the Text Color field for everything. Mr. Bond or someone needs to fix this where the 'announcement title' and the 'Read More' Bar have separate text colors then the actual news color text. Do you know what i'm saying?

Also, has anyone tried fixing it where different news(like ubbnews?forums1 and ubbnews?forums2) have differnet templates?
OOps...shoulld use the table strip text color on that ^_^

On my boards, its the same, so I didn't notice. Heh, I'll post the fix to that fix after I get home. smile
Ahah! I figured out how you can satisfy us masses wanting multiple style colors as well as multiple forums. If you could add one more variable when you call the news from a URL, we could specify which style template to use as well! That would be perfect. We could do something like:

ubbnews.cgi?forums=3?style=2

or however you split up variables in the URL, I forget right now. But I believe that ability would answer all my requests.
quote:
Hey did you ever fix that problem I was having? If so, please post the fix because I still have that problem.

quote:
yes this would be great! I really really need this feature too. We just need to fix the font color problem and add this feature and this would be the perfect hack. I wish I knew how to code or I would help out. Where has Mr. Bond been? He hasn't responded to any of this.
I fixed the text color problems, tho my layout has been modified slightly to resemble our newspro output (check the bottom of our front page for an idea of what I mean).

the template file we are using is here:
https://www.ubbdev.com/public_ubb_news.txt

if you want to see where the errors are. It's mostly just some missing " and wrong styles....

there is still a bug regarding the smilies in the posts.
oh hehe i wish i saw your post before. I just went throught he code and fixed it myself! I feel good. I've never looked throught code before. It was actually quite simple. Now we just need to do that feature for different templates for different news. Ramirez had a good idea on how to do it. I'll email mr. bond and see if he can add that feature.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/22/2001 9:17 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'm busy these days .. but I'll see what can I do ..
Quick question for you guys..

why is it when I specify a forum number like say 10...the news.shtml page that loads SHOWS forum 10 topics, but the title is for forum 5??? Why is this??

I've also noticed that it doesn't pick up the double digit forum #'s. It doesn't like my forum number 10! Ack! Any suggestions?

[ May 22, 2001 05:30 AM: Message edited by: HalfBreed ]
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/22/2001 1:12 PM
Hi,
is it possible, that on some servers the hack doesnt work ?
I installed it here
http://www.forumdeluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi?forum=1
but it won´t work. Does it make use of exec-commands or something like that ?

Thanks for your help
Dennis
dbode, the hack works for me, it's just that it doesn't seem to recognize forum numbers over 9. Can anyone offer up any suggestions if the hack isn't going to be addressed, such as maybe renumbering forums (if possible)?
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/22/2001 6:19 PM
Hi,

I found the error : My server host is processing Perl-Scripts in CGI, so I just had to rename it to ubbnews.pl, that was all

Now I have an easy question - is it possible to integrarte UBBNews into a page WITHOUT using EXEC or something like that.
Perhaps building a table around the side ?

Any tricks ?

Thanks
Dennis
So far, after doing further testing, it appears that this hack can't distinguish say forum #1 and forum #10.

http://www.hourofhavoc.com/forums/ubbnews.cgi?forums=1

http://www.hourofhavoc.com/forums/ubbnews.cgi?forums=10

They produce the same thing and they are 2 completely different forums of course.
Posted By: ruph Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/23/2001 12:02 AM
ok i'm still having problems with the Text colors.. i change the color and it applies to both news and title colors.. and in the subject it always includes the Forum name and then the actual News subject (Forum Name: News Title)... how do i fix this??.. btw, i download the LATEST zip files and thats what i got! help!?
quote:
your right! I hadn't even noticed that. I need this fixed because I have many forums over 9 that I will be using.
ruph, compare the file you have with the one I posted, the bugfixes are in there... for a quick fix, (nevermind, all that stuff I wrote a while ago is wrong, I am tired :))

Rename this file with a .pl extension and upload it in ascii to your Template directory and see if it clears up:

https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/public_ubb_news.txt

Dennis, it can be done, it's mainly a matter of putting the $Header and $Footer stuff back in...
quote:

I'm using forum 10 and it works just fine.
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/23/2001 3:38 PM
Hi again,

@AllenAyres :
Where would I have to place the $header and $footer in ? public_ubb_news.pl ?

Dennis
yes.. I'll look at it tonight and see where they need to be placed...
Posted By: Ramirez Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/23/2001 11:39 PM
We're having large block of errors at the top and bottom of all the shtml pages we try to put the hack in.

Second, we have to list a forum in the forums to be pulled for news to be able to call it from script. This isn't a huge deal, but it's a bit of the pain.

Third, even if we put in "forums=61" or whatever, if we don't put in the setup to limit to a maximum of one forum, it will pull all the forums rather than just the one we have listed.

Fourth, we can't limit some forums to a certain number of characters but not limit others. It's either all or nothing. We really think this script would be best with standalone scripts that we can modify and make as many as we want, even if we do lose CP controls. It seems like a lot of the flexibility of the old SlashUBB is being sacrificed just to be able to have CP controls.

Any help for any of these issues would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ May 23, 2001 04:47 PM: Message edited by: MasterMind ]
ramirez: for all that is holy, please fix ure quote so that it doesnt screw up this page. smile
quote:
you are! damn. i wonder why it isn't working for some of us. Jeez this hack has the potential to be perfect. It is perfect for 1 website with not very many forums but with me with 5 websites that use the same UBB, i need different templates for each news and i need forums oveer 9 to work! too bad mr. bond isn't really going to work on it anymore. we need someone else. i would but i don't know how.
Everyone- I spent a while today coding, bugfixing, etc - I'll release a fixed version with many things improved tomorrow. You will no longer need to add that base href thing to your page - this does it automatically, and then invalidates the base href after the displaying of the news, so it doesn't mess up your other images on that page. There are some other misc. changes as well, such as ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ubb_news works, and more. I hope JB007 doesn't mind that I'm working on improving it wink
Hey DT? How about an upgrade or modification for those of us at this point who have already altered alot of their board to get this new version working? wink
Alright here is my problem, I did all the hacking right, but when i try to see the news in my test.shml file on my site it,
1} Doesnt show up.
2) It Says [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Here are my UBB News Settings.
News on/off = Yes
Caching = On
Forums to grab from =1
How many topics to grab from each forum? = 10
Use characters limiting feature? = No
If yes, how many characters to display?= "blank"
Maximum forums to be called via URL = 3
What is the template you'd like to use? = MyTemplate

The HTML of my Test File is.
Code
code:

Anyway, SSI has worked on the servering i am useing now so what else can it be? Hope you could understand all of that. laugh
quote:
Sorry, didn't realize it spread the page out. I hate that too, so I understand frown Basically, the code is giving me errors whenever it tries to do an flock function. I'll try DT's version when it comes out and see how it works.
Albert, you might try a different SSI command, check the SSI tutorials in the database for a few examples.

Also, you might put a / in front of the path you are using to make sure it is using the correct base path /cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi

DT, look forward to your update, JB has said he is busy...
Halfbreed-

The major changes are the coding inside ubbnews.cgi & the template itself (also a renaming of ubbnews.cgi to ubb_news.cgi because well...let's face it, everything in the cgi folder starts with ubb_ ;))

Anyhow, I'll try to make an upgrade documentation smile

Other than that, I added a way to call the ubb news through ultimatebb.cgi, and a link that can be clicked to view them which you can place. If you run it from ultimatebb.cgi, it is who's online compatible. Eventually I'll integrate the who's online aspect of it with a recoded version of Ghoste's home online hack (a hack which traces people on the main page), and more cool

Stay tuned, the release will be later today! laugh

[ May 24, 2001 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Dark Templar ]
Thanks for your help, i tryed everything with the SSI, but then the host said i could use PHP instead of SSI and so i did. following what the host said, it told me to do this.
Code
code:

But for some reason it tells me when i go to test.php3, it tells me this Unable to include 'cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?forums=1' - request execution failed Have any ideas on what i should do now?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/25/2001 11:25 AM
I'll try to do extensive testing on the hack when I have the time since now I've upgraded to Windows2000 with IIS. DT you are free to modify the code as you like ... This is necessary to improve the hacking community and about the intergration with ultimatebb.cgi , I didn't take that step and won't take it because this will force the load of some heavy modules which I don't want to load just for some two or three simple functions. Anyway, you do what you think is the best. I think I'm gonna recode the hack again wink
JB007- Adding a call from ultimatebb.cgi shouldn't be too bad; just a way to get there from another location, and track who gets there from the UBB with who's online laugh

Oh yeah...I wasn't home, at all, yesterday, and the day before an emergency came up and I couldn't finish fixing the base href nullification. It'll be done later today. Count on it cool
Posted By: CNCR Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/27/2001 2:50 PM
woo! looks good smile
al, try:

or

That is what I used on my php test page and it worked.
nice work, tho it's not quite finished as it still needs quite a few bugfixes and wordlets... moving to "beta".

You can open a new thread in here once this is in finished form...

not picking on you, I will be going through the finished forum in the next 24 hours and moving those that aren't finished to beta...
Posted By: SwedBear Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/27/2001 10:11 PM
DPK: I owe you big time smile. I've been trying to figure out how to get a cgi-script to work in PHP !!

Ok, got some bugs:

* Only a few forums work for me. I currently have forums 1,3,4,8,9 and 10 (the others are either private or non-existent anymore).

I can use forum 1,3 and 4 with ubbnews but when I try 8 and 9 I get nothing. 10 just returns forum 1's posts.

Update: Ok, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't with 1,3 and 4. Sometimes it works after I clear the cache - sometimes not. I can't really find a pattern here.

* The title of the forums and the posts doesn't match. When I get posts displaying - most of the time the title of the forum and the posts don't match at all. I get the title of Forum 1 and the posts of forum 3 (which is the forum I wanted).

It's a great script that I probably will use as soon as it is a bit more bugfree.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/cgi-bin/forum/ubbnews.cgi?forums=9 - this is the forum I want to draw the news from.

/Björn
I upgraded to 6.04e and now is coming up blank on my news.shtml

Does anyone know if it works on 6.04e or are there any changes in the code?

Board Here
make sure you reinstalled the mod right? could be a goof.
quote:

WD, I have posted several times in this thread that we are using this script, we are (obviously) running 6.04e. I am running the same code you guys are, especially if you are using the template file I posted...

twice...

:rolleyes:
hey hey

alright, it took me awhile to post this, because i feel real stupid and amateur at hacking, but i have a question...

i followed all 3 sets of instructions on how to set this mod up, and when i viewed my page, i get this error:

quote:
alright, im pretty sure that its because i didn't edit my perl path...which brings up the stupid part of my problem and question:

what do i do to the perl path?

quote:
thats what the top of my ubbnews.cgi file looks like...i dont know what to change about it

i added a perl/bin/perl directory to my site, but nothing works...

i checked the pervious pages but i didnt see any problems like mine...which i probably over-read...

sorry for sounding like an idiot, but at least i had enough "courage" to post this laugh

please help, as im a "newbie in distraught"

BTW, my board's a 6.04a

..::|-Peace-|::..
Posted By: CTH Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/29/2001 7:32 AM
Hey,

I can't tell you what where perl is on your server but it will be the same path which you gave to your UBB when you set it up. Look in cp.cgi 1st line and it will tell u.

Usually #!/usr/bin/perl
quote:
reeeealllyyy....
:rolleyes:
thanks CTH...it works now laugh

this hack is totally tight..heh

i appreciate the help, and thanks once again

For some reason even now i get this error in my test.php3 page

Warning: readfile("http://www.trigunforums.f2s.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi") - Success in /web/sites/130/trigunforums/www.trigunforums.f2s.com/test.php3 on line 14

It says Success so does that mean it is working? or what? it doesnt show anything just that. so i am thinking there are more errors.
hey hey

my board and my site isnt on the same server anymore, and i was curious how i could incorporate the SSI of the new settings

-----------

- To view specific forums via URL:

------------

would i have to change that (on my site) to the link of my new board addy...

it would turn out to be:

------------

- To view specific forums via URL:

--------------

or what would i have to change, if it's possible...

i saw some replies to this talking about , but i'm not too sure on if that has to do with this or not...

if it's not a big problem to anybody, i would totally appreciate a little help

thanks

You cant use ssi if your board is on a different server. I use php. Works very nicely. My board is on a subdomain and I pull the news onto the main domain in a php file. smile
Upped Dark Templar's zips to:

https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/6/ubbnews.zip

ubbnews.cgi is now ubb_news.cgi, so pay attention when updating your files...
allen, u have both ubbnews.cgi and ubb_news.cgi in the zip. careless error maybe? tipsy
Posted By: indoe Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/31/2001 3:43 AM
nice this is done i think look good now look at my site on mian page laugh
thx every one that fix it smile
im totally not familiar with php.. frown

is there any way to include the php feature in this mod, as im sure theres a few people who would love to do this also

Posted By: gilfil Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 05/31/2001 2:33 PM
Allen,

I did found instructions for upgrading from 1.0 and 1.1 any special instruction to upgrade from 1.2 ?

thanks in advance.

Knutt Ballz

[ May 31, 2001 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Knutt Ballz ]
multi parted question...

saw this asked a few times in this thread, but never saw a (direct) answer.

is this hack available in a non-ssi form?

my bottom line: im looking for a hack that will display the 5 or 10 (for example) most recent active topics in a small table below the forum summary on ultimatebb.cgi. (again, without the use of ssi).

in v5's, this hack was developed by using a piece of the "slash bb" mod. any chance of an alternative revival?
quote:
Yes, most likely..:) I'll update the zip later today.

The only difference in these files, basically, was the addition of the base href to the actual cgi file to keep from having to do it on whatever page you have it SSI'd to.

Making the news.cgi file standalone is just a matter of adding $Header and $Footer in the appropriate places.
Posted By: Thanatos Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/01/2001 12:39 AM
ok have any of you considered trying to add these features:

Be able to have different templates for different news sources

For some reason this hack doesn't work for forums over 9. It maybe a mistake on my part but I've heard other people have the same problem.

The different templates for different news sources would complete this hack for me. The reason I need this is because I have 6 websites that use the same UBB because it is a network. Each website has its own colors so I need different templates for each one. Do you guys know what I'm saying?
Posted By: Calvin Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/03/2001 12:23 AM
I get an internal server error...

http://www.puremadnezz.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi frown
don't use the ubbnews.cgi , it was an error in the zip file. Download this updated version of the UBB news...

https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/6/ubbnews.zip

try using the ubb_news.cgi , it'll work .. I promise.
Posted By: Calvin Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/03/2001 9:54 AM
Yep! It worked. Thanks!!
I have 6.04e.I read the instructions of install.txt and I cant find the part which says
# *****************************************************
# ubb_news.cgi
# *****************************************************

>>>Find:

my $your_site_base_url = qq(www.sjanet.com/);

>>>Replace: (www.sjanet.com/) with the name of the parent directory to the file you call ubb_news.cgi from.

I dont have any of that text in the file which is in the zip.What do I have to do? Also should I use the instructions of ubbnewsupg1.1 ?? What do I have to use? ubb_news.cgi or ubbnews.cgi?

Thanks
That's another bug in the documentation. You don't have to change or find that anywhere. Just try the hack after you finish the last step that actually is there.. it'll work.

http://www.yourdomain.com/cgi-bin/ubb_news.cgi?

Remember to set all your settings in the control panel > UBB News Settings. smile enjoy.
Posted By: dreamer Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/04/2001 11:03 PM
Thanks for the info.I installed it corectly but ..
I cant see the news in my shtml page and I tried it everything.
I used the perl path of the ubb scripts and still nothing.
To give you a hint ,I installed also newspro and I used the command and it worked fine. So I did this,I moved the news.txt to the cgi-bin directory and I write in my shtml the command .I also wrote it without the slash / .In both cases the result was
[an error occurred while processing this directive] !! So I can see txt files but now cgi ??And how my forum is working fine? I have tried it all.Maybe someone can give me a hint
ask ya host, something with the SSI config on their end.
Is There anyway to just make a table code and put the title of the topic and their links in that table without the description?
yeh, you could just edit the template that is included in the zip and remove some of the coding to make it work.

I'm currently at work, so i forget the code pieces you need to remove.
Posted By: big-deal Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/12/2001 12:29 PM
how come Im getting this error after I activated UBB news in the control panel?

Undefined subroutine &main::set_vars_ubb_news called at /www/greenarcher.net/cgi-bin/cp.cgi line 259.

Thanks
Posted By: Paul G Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/12/2001 12:44 PM
I cant get any news to display at all. When UBBNEWS is switched off, it displays "News Off", but when switched on, it just displays a blank page. It doesnt matter what forum I try, it still displays a blank page.

What can I do ?

Regards
Paul
Posted By: Mike Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/12/2001 5:08 PM
Hey I ran into the same problem you did -- for me, it happened right after I rebuilt the forum stat files in the CP.

However, to "fix" this, I simply re-uploaded the cgi and template files -- this seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps!

quote:
Posted By: Mike Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/12/2001 5:22 PM
Two issues:

1. ubb_news.cgi is pulling from the right forum, but the forum name displayed is incorrect! (e.g., I've specified that the news be pulled from forum #13, but its displaying the name of forum #12).

--> UPDATE: When building the news, the hack seems to be pulling from FORUM NUMBER X (which is good), but its taking the forum name from FORUM ORDER X when displaying the news items. (I guess this isn't an issue if your forum number and order number is the same.)

2. The link color of the name of the news poster is not using the specified style template.

Example: http://www.bfn2k1.com

[ June 12, 2001 10:23 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]
Posted By: Mike Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/12/2001 5:37 PM
Temporary workaround to this is to manually update the order number for the forums in the category that contains your News forum.

e.g., if you created a new forum specifically for UBBNews, and it happens to be forum number 13, then re-order the forums in the category from:

1, 2, 3, 4

to:

13, 14, 15, 16

The intent of this is to match up the forum number and order number.

quote:
Mike:

Maybe you could help me out here:

how come Im getting this error after I activated UBB news in the control panel?

Undefined subroutine &main::set_vars_ubb_news called at /www/greenarcher.net/cgi-bin/cp.cgi line 259.

Thanks
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/13/2001 4:22 PM
Hi,

anyone out there who can tell my how I ad a template to ubbnews so that it doesn´t just show the news but also fits into the site when you have a layout with a navigation on the left ?

I put it in the template file on almost every place, but I get an error or it is shown in every news...

Thanks
Dennis
Posted By: Mike Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/13/2001 5:12 PM
My guess is that you did not correctly hack the cp.cgi file -- I would recommend restoring backup files of your board from before you attempted to install the news hack, and to try going through the process once more. confused

quote:
quote:
Yup! I was able to fix it but there are some problems still.

http://www.greenarcher.net/cgi-bin/ubb_news.cgi

How come the title of some forums is different with that of the post? (ex. Sports and Games should be UAAP Action but the post belongs to UAAP Action)

If it cannot be fixed is there a way to remove the forum title? smile

Btw. how do you change those blue links into green?

Thanks
Posted By: Mike Re: [6.0x] UBBNews Hack: 'slashbb' alternative - 06/19/2001 10:22 PM
quote:
This has to do with how the hack treats the Forum Number and Forum Order Number - to get around this, read my earlier post above.

quote:
Wish I could tell you - guess we need to wait until a new updated version that properly looks up your style templates. (Or you can go directly into the code and hardcode a color scheme in yourself.)

Regards,
Mike
Sorry, but I wanna ask...

What is the use of it?
arg... there's sooo many fixes people made in this topic, it'd take a year to do it! Can anyone make a new install file and get it to me?
© UBB.Developers