UBB.Dev
Posted By: JB007 [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/20/2001 11:43 PM
UBBNews 2.0:
This new version is a rewrite version with a major feature called 'news sessions', I'll discuss it later. Please note that this version is beta. So you may report any problems HERE ( don't email me ).

News Sessions:
Suppose you've got forums A,B,C,D and you want to display the forums A and B topics on a page and the forums C,D on another page and you want them to have compeletly different configuration settings ( max topics, characters limit , status , style template ). With News Sessions that's possible! You can create many news sessions as you like from the CP with different settings and different forums to grab topics from, and to get a specific news session's content via URL, you simpely do this: ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=NEWS_SESSION_ID . The id's are displayed in the control panel.

Practical Example:
We've created a news session from the CP with the forums A,B,C and the id was #2, we want to display the news on these forums so we simply make an SSI call with: ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=2

So, give it a try and report dozons of errors as usual laugh
Download here .
Posted By: Eel Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/20/2001 11:46 PM
Are there any demo boards?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/20/2001 11:51 PM
Actually, you won't notice much differece between the user-end in this version and the pervious one. Major change is in the control panel.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/20/2001 11:51 PM
the features sound good jb, something we need... will test it on a test board soon.
Posted By: freak.scene Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 12:31 AM
Sounds good Bond wink

One question, does it have upgrade instructions?
Posted By: DPK.ducky.quack Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 12:57 AM
lookin good, sessions are just what i need
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 1:16 AM
Nice job!!! Wow...
laugh
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 1:19 AM
Code
code:

should be:

Code
code:
Posted By: ruph Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 3:10 AM
Awesome! You should update the zip with MasterMinds fix.. it doesnt work unless you change the t to T.. you should have an intstruction for upgrading and put a note there somewhere about the perl path for ubbnews.cgi.. laugh
Posted By: Fuzion Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 3:55 AM
Awsome JB, I have been waiting for a good news script like this. smile
Posted By: Djnemesis Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 5:49 AM
incase anyone didn't catch what mastermind was talking about.. Look in ubbnews.cgi

You'll see the code correction he is talking about, it threw me for a loop at first.

[ June 20, 2001 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Djnemesis ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 7:20 AM
bugs:

- when setting sessions, it looks for the vars files in the $vars_config{CGIPath}/ubbnews/vars_ubbnews..etc path - need to either add instructions to create the ubbnews folder in the cgi directory and upload the vars file to it, or change the scripts to look for the vars file in the cgi folder

- colors in the output should more closely pull from the ubb variables, what I mean is, if your background color is categorystripbackgroundcolor, then your text color should be categorystriptextcolor, or the titles can and will be invisible for a lotta sites smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 9:37 AM
request: can you set a session to show headlines only?

reason: I'd like to have 1-2 announcements up top and then below a list of maybe the last 5-10 headlines... that way we can keep the latest news in front of the visitor without making them scroll for 4-5 pages. smile

possibly an option to show headlines below the announcements and how many would be tres cool smile

Nice work tho... a few bugs (to be expected in beta), but great possibilities..:)
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 9:40 AM
Good job JB007...

I agree with Allen.

[ June 21, 2001 02:42 AM: Message edited by: LK ]
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 11:56 AM
I'm thinking you could also use this like a much better version of the original Active Topics (UBB5). UBB6 version is pretty useless =).

So some sort of Headlines (Subject, date, poster, time / No. to show / Format) feature like AA states would help.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 12:52 PM
Well, I've updated the hack, here are the fixes, new features:

1. When I was developing the hack, I added the hashes to the use vars statement in cp.cgi but forgot to mention that in the installation file, this is now fixed.
2. Applied MM's fix.
3. Added 'View Headlines Only' feature, you can enable it from the news session addition/modification page. It will show only the forum,topic subject and the posting date of the topic ( like Ted's old news grabber ).
4. Minor changes in the templates to be more ubb-style compatible.
5. Minor change in the wordlets file, actually there was a typo in one of the hash keys.

To update, just perform the first new step of the cp.cgi instructions and reupload all files.

For those who want to upgrade from previous versions, you must uninstall the old hack, install the new one and create a new session that matches your old settings.

Allen, the instructions for creating the new directory are already there ( in the 'preparing for install' section ).
Posted By: lurili Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 5:34 PM
The first one kicked butt. This one is even better, News Sessions are great! No bugs from this side of the farm reported. laugh
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 6:33 PM
Very Very Nice Hack!
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 7:01 PM
Sorry Bond, I missed that, was just reading the bottom..:)

On our front page I am using it in the upper right column as a "semi-replacement" for active.cgi. The topics aren't updating with the changes in the forums, any idea? It sounds like it is reading the cache when first built and not when the threads update in the forums. Also, when selecting more than one forum to read from, it pulls the latest howevermany topics you input from each forum, not that number (ex.: 4) from all the forums as a group... your news is gonna be huge if you select more than 1-2 topics and more than 1 forum to read them from smile

Another suggestion, the option to enclose the headlines in one $TBT / $TBB type table so that if we include the headlines below the main announcements, they aren't just left our there all alone smile I attempted to do this myself with varying results, most all of them very bad. smile

Other than that, excellent work Bond!
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 7:20 PM
Thanks for your comments Allen, I'll look after the problem. And about enclosing the headlines in a table header/footer , this will require a bit of work, but I'll do it.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 7:24 PM
nice...:)

If it's too much work to enclose in a table, don't worry about it, I just snapped that I can do the same thing manually on the front page, then use the ssi inside of that. smile If it adds too much complexity, don't worry about the table thing.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 9:02 PM
Added a headline only forum and it says its not valid, and i added it manually -- white page.
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/21/2001 11:02 PM
Mastermind. Nice Quote .. I guess I am a console junkie laugh
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 12:02 AM
Well, I've added an option to apply the 'maximum topics to grab' amount on the whole forums as you wanted Allen. But remember that this amount must be dividable on the number of forums you specify ( example: Let's you that you've specified 2 forums, 4 topics max , then 4/2 = 2 topics for each forum ). So go and redownload and reupload files ( no changes in the installation instructions ).
MM, can you give me the exact error message?, because there are two possibilities for not valid forums smile

[ June 21, 2001 05:04 PM: Message edited by: JB007 ]
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 12:10 AM
Hello, I know this is not the most proper place to ask, but I dont know wherelse to go.

I have installed this hack in my testboard, and have implemented this code on my testwebsite;

....but nothing happens, neither when I add a new topic to the configured forum.

Have I forgotten to activate some SSI stuff in my apache webserver, or what could the problem be?

Please delete this message, or move it to a proper place.
But I would appreciate som helping guidelines on this issue laugh
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 12:15 AM
quote:
I got this error too.
But... in CP, instead of specifying the forum NAME, specify the forum number, e.g. "Forum9" instead of "ThisForumName"
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 12:34 AM
All right, does it works directly with out SSI? I mean if you call it directly from the browser: ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=2
Posted By: Djnemesis Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 12:37 AM
quote:
If you have SSI enabled on the server and include that string in your .shtml file (ie index.shtml) or whatever you may have called it, it should display. If you have done this and it still doesn't work, try using this string instead.

That one could possibly work instead of the exec cgi one.
Posted By: soma0 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 1:01 AM
Nice hack. Can't wait to see it finished though.

Right now, it's too buggy.

1) Using "headline only mode", the names of the forums don't match up to where the links take you. The message topics are correct though.

2) Using "Show full topic", 1 out of every 5 or so topics cuts off to early, breaking the table and looking bad. And the topics don't link to anything, and the replies line is incomplete.

3) Using "headlines only" mode, the "Grab that number on the whole forums?" doesn't seem to make any difference, it grabs the amount of topics you specify from each forum.

4) The Limit Characters seems to start counting from the begining of the header. Can we get this to count from the beginning of the message body?

Thanks for the great hack.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 1:11 AM
quote:
This happens whenever i try and add a news session. I chmoded all the news files 777. What's wrong?
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 1:27 AM
Make sure there is a ubbnews dir in your cgi dir.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 1:39 AM
quote:
It's there with chmod of 777. But i'm still getting those errors. Wierd. Am i the only one?
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 2:12 AM
quote:
Yes this works perfectly well, but if not if i implement the code in a website. I have triad to put it in the General Display Settings "Forum Intro Text" box, just as a try, but when I call the forum summary site, all I just see is the actual codeline and not the content of it.
But as you say, browse directly to it works well....exerpt from a few bugs.

As soma0 says;
1) Using "headline only mode", the names of the forums don't match up to where the links take you. The message topics are correct though.
  • I discovered this too. I found that if I have the Category View, and in Forum Settings have numbered to different forums as number 1, e.g. if both are forum number 1 in two different Categories, the newscript get confused. I solved this by giving each forum a unik number in the Forum Setting Page

2) Using "Show full topic", 1 out of every 5 or so topics cuts off to early, breaking the table and looking bad. And the topics don't link to anything, and the replies line is incomplete.
  • Here I dont see any topic content at all, just the topic header, but the tables are perfect. The vertical size of the table increase if there are answers to the topic, but as I say, none of the content shows up.

4) The Limit Characters seems to start counting from the begining of the header. Can we get this to count from the beginning of the message body?
  • As nothing of the topic/message content shows up, I am not abel to determine iif this works or not
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 2:31 AM
I am working/testing on a machine not connected to the LAN/internet, my site isnt ready to upload yet, so i cant provide you with an url so you can have a look.

But I can make a bitmap file and upload it or send you, for you to take a look. Can I send by mail or upload somewhere?
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 3:03 AM
quote:

This doesn work either, but a direct call like JB007 told me to test works well.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 8:26 AM
this might be outside the scope of this modification, but in the announcement/news forum, would it be possible to add a drop-down list of post icons that can be placed like we have our microphone on the front page? Something similar to the way slashcode is done... if my announcement is about someone new being added - an icon to go with that, if it's about the ubb sale - a dollar sign, if it's code related - maybe a computer, etc... would align itself in the upper right of the post...

I have the microphone hard-coded in, it would be nice to use a variety of icons to match the subject of the post...
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 10:43 AM
In the control panel, you must specify the NUMBER only like '1 2 3 4' this will indicate forums 1,2,3 and 4, Specifying the order of the forums will return unmatched forums names, Since the script takes the actual forum number not the order.
The cp_ubbnews.cgi file was not updated on the last update, so re download now and re upload it. This should fix the problem of applying the 'maximum topics' amount on the whole forums.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 6:37 PM
I'm still getting those software errors. I check all the files for chmod and ascii. So what wrong?
Posted By: e,o.w. Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 7:59 PM
i REALLY like this hack--i had problems too, but i dealt with them......include virtual worked, exec cgi didn't... the test session doesn't work, but i can add new ones so i dont care smile...

i had the issue where the forum titles were displaying the order in which the forum was created, not it's forum number, and as a temporary work around i used the same fix from the thread about the last version of ubb news: I made the forum order in primary settings-> forum settings, the same as the forum number. caused a slight inconvenience, but it was worth it to be able to use this now.

other than that, i dig it.... i'm not done with this page, but you can check it out at:
http://www.fireseek.com/gm.shtml
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 9:30 PM
Guys!!! The forum number appears next to each forum's name in the forums settings page! eek laugh
I forgot to remove the test session entry from the configuration and since it does not have a configuration file .. it failed. So you've to remove it manually from the vars_ubbnews_sessions.cgi file.
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 9:41 PM
...remove....how....where...what?? laugh laugh
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 9:48 PM
emme sick [censored]...I knoe it laugh
Posted By: Djnemesis Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/22/2001 11:47 PM
The hack works fine. If you are having problems with software errors it could be possible the instructions confused you or another hack is somehow messing it up.

As for the SSI include, if exec cgi or include aren't working and it is displaying the actual string itself, then I'd check with your server admin on that box. It doesn't sound like he has SSI enabled for the cgi-bin and isn't allowing you to access the files or something of that nature.

In either way, not trying to be rude.. But please work those problems out on your end and let the creator of the hack concentrate on finishing and incorporating some new features into it.

Thanx JB007, The hack is very much appreciated.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/23/2001 2:36 AM
JB -- The error i still get is:

quote:
Posted By: gaulalauk Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/23/2001 4:40 AM
quote:
Same here. Think this is due to creating forums, and later delete them, and somehow the the newsscript get confused about the forumnumbers when a forum supposed to be in the numberrow isnt there anymore?? (Even if you dont make a call to it...obviously)

Got the SSI to work in some way, but there are still some bugs if you add several forums to one session.

Also, I guess there shouldnt be the linebreak in between the tables, when you call the whole message display from SSI.
Just the headline view works well with one linebreak between each topic header, but not the table display...take to much space
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/23/2001 6:55 AM
Well, I haven't deleted a forum before, so I'm gonna test it smile
Posted By: ruph Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 7:10 AM
The smilies dont show up in the news.. i tried the base href thing but still didnt work... i have the Smilie Mod installed.. does it make a diff? can you help me? confused
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 8:50 AM
There's code in there that specifically removes graphics...
Posted By: ruph Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 9:15 AM
i noticed that smilies dont even show up as X's or anything.. whats the code that removes graphics?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 9:26 AM
Well, I've tried removing/adding forums but it still works very well.

ruph, the code is located in ubbnews.cgi:
Code
code:
Posted By: ruph Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 10:07 AM
thanks.. smilies are now working and everything else is perfect!
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 2:43 PM
Hi,

I have two questions :
In the first version of UBBNews, it was not possible to add a header and a footer around UBBNews without using ssi - but I can´t do this because my server is not supporting "include" or "execute". Is it possible to add a header and a footer in this version ? It may look more like my UBB then...

The second question is if the errors in the first version considering the numbers of forums have been fixed. I want to use UBBNews for a forum with no. 34, so this wasn´t possible in the first version because you coudn´t go higher then 9...

Thanks for your help
Dennis
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 4:16 PM
Hi Dennis,
So you want to display it as a normal ubb page? Well, currently it's not possible or let's say nobody has done it until now. And for the forum numbers: I didn't receive any errors until now!
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/24/2001 5:18 PM
Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. I will upgrade then, be right back later with a number of self-made errors laugh

Well - because of the ubb-sytle : I just wanted to add a template which shows the header and footer also on ubbnews... I didn´t manage that for the last version.

Thanks
Dennis
Posted By: ventura Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/26/2001 7:44 AM
Heres the Error I get when I try to call it directly without using a SSI call in a page:

Content-type: text/html
Software error:
Undefined subroutine &main::NewsRow called at d:harvestgaincgi-shlubb2ubbnews.cgi line 129.

For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
Posted By: drew Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/26/2001 5:46 PM
hey, i've just installed this hack which was pretty easy. but i have one question before i go further...

i'm trying to make a cellphone review and article section in my site. i wonder if it is possible to:

1. post an article and
2. display it in a separate page in category or forum that isn't visible in the main forums page.
3. display the article in this format:

Title of Article
by Username
Date Posted

Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body Article Body

Post a response:

Here
fields will be displayed for users to fill out to post something. Show below the form are the responses posted so far, and depending on the number of comments, will be displayed in continuous pages just like in the forum. it shouldn't be that difficult, but i would like some suggestions from you first.

thanks.
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/26/2001 9:17 PM
Hi,

are there any upgrade instructions ? I didn´t find them in the .zip...

Dennis
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/27/2001 7:44 PM
Ok, here I am again.

There is one bug in UBBNews 2, that was also in the version before :
I have a forum called "News" and another called "Marktplatz". News is Nr. 8, Marktplatz is Nr. 7, but News is Order Nr. 1 and Marktplatz Order Nr. 8

When I chose News for UBBNews, I always get the content of Forum Nr. 8 displayed, but it shows me the title of Forum Order Nr. 8.

Then I have a second question - can I add something around UBBNews by modifying ubbnews.cgi here :

Code
code:

Can I put some html in there ?

Thanks for yourhelp

Dennis
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/28/2001 2:46 AM
Guys, I admit it: I'm dumb laugh laugh laugh
AS a result of misunderstanding how forums numbers are stored in the UBB, I admit that I choosed the order field to get the forums titles which caused slight problems with some users laugh. However, the solution is simple, simply open up ubbnews.cgi, look for:
Code
code:
Replace with:
Code
code:
Find:
Code
code:
Replace with:
Code
code:
I'm sorry!
The zip file has been updated.
Dennis, you can print anything after that statement, just make sure that you assign it to the $output variable if you want it to be cached.

[ June 27, 2001 08:01 PM: Message edited by: JB007 ]
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/28/2001 12:18 PM
Thanks for your help JB007, now everything workes fine !!!

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/28/2001 12:50 PM
Hi again,

I tried to add some html using

Code
code:

Of course, when I add text etc, everything works, but when I add " for example, it will not work...

Is there a possible solution to add a whole complex html (like the header in my ubb...)

Thanks
Dennis
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/28/2001 1:57 PM
Update:
I've fixed the same problem in cp_ubbnews.cgi. This problem caused the script to refuse some forums ( as MM's problem ). To update, just upload cp_ubbnews.cgi and ubbnews.cgi.
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/28/2001 4:49 PM
Well, you've to escape the double quotes in order to get correct results, for example:
Code
code:
But you can also get rid from all this by using the 'qq' or the 'q' operators:
Code
code:
See? You can replace the ~ sign by anything non-alphabatical or non-numerical such as !,% .. etc.

[ June 28, 2001 03:49 PM: Message edited by: JB007 ]
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/28/2001 8:35 PM
GREAT !
That worked !!!!

Thanks for your help, that was a lot of help !

Dennis
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/29/2001 12:27 PM
Hi,

I also had the problems with the smilies, but now I added some html and it doesn´t show up eigher (wanted to include some link to a sponsor with their logo...)

Can you turn that on somehow ?

Dennis
Posted By: Ellen Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 06/30/2001 10:12 PM
Great modification! The whole thing looks great, but if there is a smilie in the post, the smilie shows as an "x". The source says the source for the smilie is the cgi-bin directory, but my images are in ubb/smilies. How do I get the modification to reflect this? Here is the page that shows the problem.

Thanks

[ June 30, 2001 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Ellen ]
Posted By: doodee Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/01/2001 12:51 PM
Hello,

Please help, I get this error when I call ubbnews directly from browser:

Software error:
Undefined subroutine &main::SummaryRow called at /home/sites/site11/web/cgi-bin/forum/ubbnews.cgi line 126.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (admin), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

And when called from web page with exec I get:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Whicj is normal because there is some "software error".

I will appriciate any help on this one...
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/02/2001 10:48 AM
Was waiting to install this until I was sure it could do the following.

Lets say you make three forum's for news, essentially three categorys of news (not to be confused with forum categorys). Now you want to output the headlines for each, that's no problem (I think, judging by doc's).

But what about being able to include all three forums into the headline output for the main page of all the different cats?
Posted By: kesha1 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/02/2001 12:44 PM
Please let me know what directory of my UBB should I upload the jIRC files,
and I'm really puzzled how do I point to the jIRC chat location from my UBB's CP.
Thank you.
Posted By: Albert_Lewis Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/05/2001 9:57 AM
Alright i have a question.. here i go.

Lets say i dont need diffrent max topics and such on my site, what else does this version have over the other one? Is it worth upgrading? Right now, i only pull Topics from 1 forum, and i only display it 1 place, so i dont think i really need to upgrade.. but i could be wrong.
Posted By: Shadow[X] Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/06/2001 11:16 PM
I seriously can't get this to work frown Either via the SSI exec (which does work, I was using version 1.3 with no probs) or via a direct access, both give the following error:

"Content-type: text/html

Software error:
Undefined subroutine &main::NewsRow called at \shadowleisuremisc - fwebsitescopy of online overcoolers.netforumsubbnews.cgi line 129.

For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error."

I know others have got this problem... there must be a solution? My server is running Win2k IIS5 with the latest release of ActivePerl, and I'm using UBB 6.05. Hope this gets solved soon...
Posted By: Shadow[X] Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/07/2001 6:28 PM
Well thanks to the subsequant replies posted on here :rolleyes: , I semi solved it. I didn't realise that the vars_wordlets_mods thing actually had to be installed, I just assumed it was something needing to be altered if it was already installed. You might like to make that clearer in your next release.

So anyway, it's displaying news. But it's only displaying 1 news item, the first item posted on the board. Any new posts do not come up at all. I've set it to grab 5 topics but only one is showing. Looks like I'm gonna have to use 1.3 again.
Posted By: Greg Hard Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/07/2001 8:11 PM
the wordlets_mods module is required for most good hacks needing wording.
Posted By: V00D00 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/07/2001 8:38 PM
Awesome hack, works great, not a single problem with mine!
Posted By: Alex Rodriguez Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/07/2001 8:57 PM
I would also like to see this included if possible.

Alex

quote:
Posted By: SirGrendel Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/08/2001 10:56 PM
How can I format Date and Time (german board, so I need german date-format (DD.MM.YYYY))?
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/09/2001 8:34 AM
Hi again,

please look at my modified UBBNews :
http://www.hardwareluxx.com

You will see it correctly when you use Internet Explorer, but you won´t see UBBNews when you use Netscape. That´s because I need to place a /table tag somewhere at the end in ubbnews.cgi - but where ? I tried everywhere, but wherever I place the print "", it doesn´t work...

Can anyone tell me where I have to place it?

Thanks very much !

Dennis
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/09/2001 1:17 PM
the word "whether" in the configuration creation thing is spelled "wether".

and I get an error when I click create news session

Code
code:
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/09/2001 1:19 PM
well I just read allen's post saying to create a folder in the instructions,or edit the code, I created the folder and it works! This is my test board so I'll start on my real UBB files when I get to america.
Posted By: Wanted Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/09/2001 2:35 PM
its keep giving me this error
quote:
when it works fine when i called directly
Posted By: Fatphil Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/09/2001 9:26 PM
I just get this after installing every thing as far as I know fine:

Software error:
Undefined subroutine &main::NewsRow called at ubbnews.cgi line 126.

For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

ANY help much apreciated smile
Posted By: syl Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/12/2001 6:01 AM
One question what code would i have to edit to make the headline fonts in bold or maybe a bit bigger??????
Posted By: Fatphil Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/12/2001 9:33 PM
Ok someone help plz, i've tryed installing this twice now, on different boards on different servers and I can't get it to work
link to error page

is the problem the fact that I only have version 6.0?

[ July 12, 2001 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Fatphil ]
Posted By: Fatphil Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/14/2001 12:15 AM
Oh well I gave up on UBBNews2 and I have installed version 1 as I can get that one to work, check out the greatness laugh

link
Posted By: Slasher Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/15/2001 6:49 PM
quote:
Got the same problem, anyone?
Posted By: melder Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/15/2001 7:12 PM
??? ubb 6.1 ???

###########

i insert:
works fine

##########

i insert:
[an error occurred while processing this directive]

WY ?!?!?

but it works fine - when i called directly !!!

[ July 15, 2001 12:42 PM: Message edited by: melder ]
Posted By: melder Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/18/2001 9:09 AM
bump laugh plz help
Posted By: dbode Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/19/2001 11:57 AM
Well, I have UBBNews 2.0 now running for two weeks, it runs fine laugh but it generates A LOT OF TRAFFIC.

I have around 5000 hits a day on UBBNews and it has around 350 MB of traffic a day. Is that normal ?

Pretty much - I have to upgrade my server ;-)

Dennis
Posted By: humble [ThC] Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/19/2001 8:17 PM
Real quick cosmetic question...

Is there anyway to move the News Fader display ABOVE, the Forum Title / Description Bar (i.e. Forum | Topics | Posts | LastPost | Moderator )...

Thanks!!! I have Custom Category strip backgrounds, and use both of them, it would look alot nicer to swap those to tables.
Posted By: Deku_Millennium Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/20/2001 9:47 PM
Help, I have installed the mod, everything is working great till I call for the news, when I enter the url in my browser, I get this error:

Undefined subroutine &main::SummaryRow called at /home/custombb/public_html/ubb/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi line 126.

Any help is nice smile
Posted By: Wanted Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/22/2001 1:52 AM
there is no way to change the style or the colors in the output .. whatever changes i do in public_ubb_news.pl , it keep the same colors and style ..

cleareing the cache ,, starting a new season .. will not make any change
Posted By: ZoneX Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/24/2001 12:49 PM
When I click UBBNews in the CP, it says : "FYI You Don't Have Permission to enter" .

Why ?

I CHmodded it all right as well.

[ July 24, 2001 05:54 AM: Message edited by: ZoneX ]
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/24/2001 12:55 PM
Rehack cp.cgi
Posted By: ZoneX Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/24/2001 1:16 PM
Thanks LK, that did the trick. smile
Posted By: ZoneX Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/24/2001 1:45 PM
Hmmm. I can get the session through the browser by typing http://gamingrealm.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1 . How come it won't work when I use or that other method posted here ?

So how can I get the news to show in a post I make.
Posted By: joetan1004 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/25/2001 10:22 AM
FYI,

If you're getting a error dealing with undefined subroutine &main::NewsRow or SummaryRow, that just means you forgot to upload the public_ubbnews.pl file in the templates dir. (Since the NewsRow and SummaryRow functions are defined there)

I had the same problem, and when I upload the file, the problem went away smile
Posted By: ZoneX Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/25/2001 8:14 PM
Anyone...

Hmmm. I can get the session through the browser by typing http://gamingrealm.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1 . How come it won't work when I use or that other method posted here ?

So how can I get the news to show in a post I make.
Posted By: sage undertaker Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/30/2001 7:13 AM
I have hacked everything right. when I call directly from the browser it works fine, but when I insert a SSI call it gives me this, " HTTP/1.1 404 Object Not Found Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0 Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:02:07 GMT Content-Type: text/html
404 Object Not Found " , I tihnk I know why, its not my host because I can use news pro fine. but I can't use this, is the reason because I have my UBB hosted on forum.undertakerinc.org, and my site on underinc.org, so my SSI call looks like
( ), if you go directly to my news you can see it, but the text is black, any reson on why thats happened, if someone can help me out that would be good

thanks in adavance.
Posted By: pet cobra Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/30/2001 5:32 PM
I know this may be a lot to ask, but is there any way that this mod could be modded (even more, yay!) to only pull posts by specific users? I help run a gaming development board. People are often rending their garments and crying to the heavens because it's hard to find developer posts. I wanted to use UBBNews to pull the X most recent posts that users 9, 12, 35, 37, etc. had made. Can anyone think of a good way to do this? BTW, the hack, as written, works well on my system after using #include.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/30/2001 6:06 PM
Lord, type the path, not URL.

Posted By: sage undertaker Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 07/31/2001 12:09 PM
Its seems you didn't read my whole post. I site, and Bulletin are in way different directories, all my UBB files are stored on forum.undertakerinc.org, then my site is on undertakerinc.org, so there folder are not both just like that, thats why I came here to seek answers wink
Posted By: UBBRULES Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/05/2001 7:08 PM
I can't seem to change the text colour for the script can someone please assist?

i want the text to be white but when i put in the hex code and save the template my ubbnews script is using it stays as black!
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/08/2001 12:20 AM
Is this the same script that UBBDEV.com is using on the front page through SSI?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/08/2001 12:43 AM
Yes... without hacking the ubb files smile It runs the center column in regular mode and the right hand column in headline mode.

I don't have time right now to explain the setup for it, but all you really need to do is set the variables and upload the files...
Posted By: cartman Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/08/2001 10:46 AM
@ all

the hack works great but:

a look in my error-log-file:
ubbnews.cgi: Odd number of elements in hash assignment at [..] /ubbnews.cgi line 94.

whats that?

greetings
/cartman
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/08/2001 8:11 PM
Just need a question answered. Read through the hack install and when it asked to find:

use vars qw( and then add:

%vars_ubbnews %vars_ubbnews_sessions

This is what I have when I did a search on on my
CP.cgi:

use vars qw(%vars_wordlets_mods);
#use vars qw(%vars_config %vars_display %vars_email %GotTime $status @memberslist %vars_wordlets_cp %vars_wordlets_email %vars_wordlets_err %vars_wordlets_img %vars_wordlets_date %template_match %vars_wordlets %vars_misc %vars_style %vars_search %vars_registration %vars_time @ubbadmin $username $password $InfopopCopyright $ThisHTML %in %ProfileNumber $memlistopen $CurrentTab %template $template $CPMenu $CPHeader $CPFooter $CPDropDown $Hiddens $public_name $LoginWording $admin_number $direct_to $version $version_number $cache_cookie %member_profile $selscript $exact_path %vars_rate);

Any suggestions?
Posted By: ronaldwo Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/09/2001 10:24 AM
I already asked this somewhere elkse but didn't get a reply :-(

Is it possible to change the UBBnews script into something like Webwereld site ? (in Dutch, but you'll know what I mean, click on 19 reacties in the yellow bar)

So the reactions are more or less seperated from the board...

Anybody can use there own newsscripts but use the reaction (and usernames) from UBB.

JB007, I like your script, but I hope you can modify it for general newssytems as well !

P.
Posted By: revolver Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/11/2001 12:08 AM
is this mod still in Beta, or has it been tested, and final?
Posted By: JB007 Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/11/2001 1:43 AM
Hello Guys!
I'm sorry for my delay, I was in a vacation to Korea/Japan. I went to the World Cup 2002 studium in Korea
Well, I'm sorry for any inconvience that I had caused for all of you. If someone can address the common problems and questions so that I can get back on the track?
SplitFyre, put that code in the first line.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/11/2001 4:30 AM
Good to see you again JB, sounds like a great trip.

We're still using this on our front page with no ubb file modifications, just setting the variables in the scripts and ssi'ing where we need, works really well smile )

About the only thing I would like to see in this more than what's there is the ability to have a drop-down list of icons when you make a post that you can choose to include like the microphone we have that's hard-coded. The drop-down would allow you to have icons that "fit" the subject matter, much like slashcode. One other thing might be the use of more than one template... smile
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/13/2001 12:37 AM
Hey guys,

I cannot seem to pull anything from the forum that I have designated news to be pulled from.

When I browse to:

http://www.futurelooks.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1

It shows up as blank but in our forum there are two threads in there? What could this be?

Here is what I have currently in my CP.CGI which I think is not the problem:

#use strict;
use Fcntl ':flock';
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser carpout);
use CGI qw(:cgi-lib :standard);
use vars qw(%vars_ubbnews %vars_ubbnews_sessions %vars_wordlets_mods);
#use vars qw(%vars_config %vars_display %vars_email %GotTime $status @memberslist %vars_wordlets_cp %vars_wordlets_email %vars_wordlets_err %vars_wordlets_img %vars_wordlets_date %template_match %vars_wordlets %vars_misc %vars_style %vars_search %vars_registration %vars_time @ubbadmin $username $password $InfopopCopyright $ThisHTML %in %ProfileNumber $memlistopen $CurrentTab %template $template $CPMenu $CPHeader $CPFooter $CPDropDown $Hiddens $public_name $LoginWording $admin_number $direct_to $version $version_number $cache_cookie %member_profile $selscript $exact_path %vars_rate);

IS there anything wrong in here? I really want to implement this feature.. Any help is appreciated.. even when pulling through an SSI call it shows as being blank.
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/13/2001 7:25 PM
Got it to work... yea!
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/14/2001 9:10 AM
Can't seem to get it to pull anything into my news_frame.htm. Using Front Page for now and cannot seem to get the damn thing to pull.
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/14/2001 6:22 PM
The way in which I want to pull the UBBNews is through a news_frame.htm file. If I use the Include Page function in Front Page it requests a link URL. So I put in:

http://www.futurelooks.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1

It loaded once for a few seconds and then disappeared. Is anyone else using Front Page to implement this hack? I want to know if I am to use the virtual or exec SSI line where do I put it within the code? I can't remember. Your help is appreciated. Bottom line is I can't pull it through a frame but only if I pull it up manually through a browser!
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/14/2001 7:39 PM
Ok here it is.. my news page gets pulled through a frame and no matter what I do I cannot get the UBBNews to pull up in the include. In the frame I specified latest_news.shtml but it won't pull anything outside of existing data before UBBNews2.0 implementation. What do I need to do to get the data to pull as it will pull through a normal call to the browser:

www.futurelooks.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews?ns_id=1
Posted By: Saturn [K] Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/19/2001 1:54 AM
Everything seems to be working just fine with this mod, in CP and when I post but 1 thing. It is not showing up on the page that the news was intended to be on. Here is the page that the SSI should be getting its info from. But as you can see here that the news is not there. I am using the following code to pull in the news...
Code
code:

Have I done something wrong or does this not work for version 6.05 yet?
Posted By: Xcert Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/23/2001 12:40 AM
Iinstalled it but i get this software error:

Software error:
Undefined subroutine &main::NewsRow called at ubbnews.cgi line 129.

Is there something that i did wrong or something i missed??

PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Posted By: Xcert Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/23/2001 3:56 AM
OKAY!!! ... i got iw working and it works GREAT!

This is a great mod laugh
Posted By: Xcert Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/23/2001 10:26 AM
I have it installed and it works perfectly! Except for one thing. In Internet Explorer (5.5) it shows up just the way i want it to. But with Netscape, It shows the text but not the table around the post/new, or the colors of the table cells.

For a better example, here are some creens of my dilema.

Internet Explorer
Netscape!!! mad

Did I do something wrong or does everyone have this problem???
Posted By: Revenant Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 08/31/2001 7:15 PM
I have installed this hack and it works great. I would like to remove the option to view replies, I will be using this hack to display news but do not want the guest to post replies or view the forum. How can I do this??
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 09/10/2001 3:14 AM
ummm.. jb seems to have gone on vacation again wink

edit the template file to remove the "replies"
Posted By: steelman Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 10/10/2001 5:42 PM
quote:
I would like to echo this statement verbatim. I too have this script installed and it appears to be functioning perfectly, but my host server log lists this exact error for each request UBBNews2 makes. In other words, if I set UBBNews to pull 2 topics from 3 different forums, my sever log will show the error mentioned above 6 times.

(I know, pick, pick, pick) but I would like to get rid of this error. smile
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 10/11/2001 4:21 PM
I have the same problem with this hack as I do the Latest Threads. When I use the #exec cgi statement on IIS 5 I get nothing, just a blank. I can run the page manually in my browser and it works fine.

An include virtual shows the cgi code...

Still hoping for an answer on how to make this work on IIS!
Posted By: August Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 10/13/2001 9:45 AM
I'm having the exact same problem as XPerT. When I enter the cgi manually in the browser, it works perfectly, but the #exec SSI call does not work at all -- just produces a blank screen. I've gone over it for hours with my server experts, and they say the SSI call is entered correctly (right path/call and everything), but that something is wrong with the cgi script itself.

Any ideas?

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: August ]
Posted By: Granata Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 11/07/2001 12:02 AM
I have had a difficult time getting UBBNews to honor the font settings I have for my Headlines Only session. I know others have had this problem, but I have never seen the solution posted in the forums. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,
-Eric
Posted By: Granata Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 11/08/2001 12:09 AM
Nevermind, I figured it out.
Posted By: John Round Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 11/10/2001 5:54 PM
quote:

Same thing happening here frown
Posted By: BloggerMan Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 11/24/2001 10:07 PM
QUESTION- what do you do if one of your forums has a space in it? Like if the forum name is General Discussion, it'll think you're trying to call topics from "General" and "Discussion", right?
Posted By: Dino Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 01/24/2002 10:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BloggerMan:
QUESTION- what do you do if one of your forums has a space in it? Like if the forum name is General Discussion, it'll think you're trying to call topics from "General" and "Discussion", right?

Don't you just enter the forum number instead of the forum name?

Works great here... one of the best hacks ever!
Posted By: Dino Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 01/24/2002 11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by XPerT:
I have the same problem with this hack as I do the Latest Threads. When I use the #exec cgi statement on IIS 5 I get nothing, just a blank. I can run the page manually in my browser and it works fine.

An include virtual shows the cgi code...

Still hoping for an answer on how to make this work on IIS!

First off, if you already haven't done this, save the file as shtml. Secondly, in IIS, you need to make the file writeable and executable. Set execute permssions to scripts and executables. You may need to play around in IIS, since I totally forgot what voodoo raindance song I had to sing to get SSI to work. I had the exact same problems.
Posted By: The Wargamer Re: [6.0x] Introducing: UBBNews 2! - 02/28/2002 8:18 AM
If you search the Microsoft Knowledge Base (heck, do a deja.com search on "IIS SSI enable") you should find a step-by-step document on enabling SSI on IIS 4.0 and 5.0. The trick is usually to make sure all file extensions are parsed by the SSI or ASP dll rather than html files not being parsed, as well as cgi files. On my IIS 4.0 box, the hack worked almost perfectly right out of the box...

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the option as to whether I want the summary count to apply to all forums selected or to each enumerated forum... no matter what I pick (yes/no) when I return to the control pannel and pull up the UBBNews options, I get neither box selected and the code always defaults to "no".

Some suggestions / request I was going to make (and I may try and get ambitious and see if I can figure out how to do it myself) are:

1. Allow a third summary option that takes the first X characters, not including the title of the forum or the date, but perhaps includes the user name so that one could show "UserXyZ was heard saying "blah, blah, blah..." and so forth...

2. Allow an option that actually scans ALL active non-private forums and picks the X newest posts or replies from ALL the forums, kind of like the daily summary does (but without resetting at midnight and with a configurable X number).

3. Create a better interface for selecting the forums. Opening two screens in the CP to make a list of all the forums to be included, guaging which ones should be (the most active ones or the ones you most want to promote) would be great... i.e., perhaps a list with checkboxes of all the forums active unerneath, with a # of posts, replies, and date of last activity, so one can then just check the checkboxes and when pressing Save Settings, those forums get added (instead of the one line "type in all the forum numbers you want to include, with a space between each" that is featured now.

In any case, this is a very nice hack, is going to either completely solve my issue or give me sufficient basis to modify it to suit my needs.

Thanks, JB. And thanks to LK and dj in helping me find it via email in the first place.

Mario Kroll
Wargamer.com
© UBB.Developers