UBB.Dev
Name: Latest Threads (updated 10/10/01)

Version: 1.2.1

Author: Casual

Future plans development: (updated 10/3/01)
  • Auto update save-to file
  • I-Frame support for non-SSI websites

Requirements:
  • UBB 6.0 - 6.05

Features in v1.2.1:
  • Minor Bug Fixes
  • Now works stand-alone thus allowing multiple streams.
  • Tease/display forums Latest Threads via SSI on any page on your Website (if the server allows)
  • Save to file (saves in NonCGIPath)
  • Displays latest threads listings regardless of date/time.
  • Select number of threads to display on a page
  • 13 different display options or create your own custom display.
  • Filters forums by forum number in Exclude or Include modes.
  • Uses it's own cache file and leaves the get_daily routine alone.
  • Sister site pickup script add-on
  • Plus more ...

Pictures/Links:
[*]Left screen shot is taken from BT's website at http://www.kvr-vst.com/, a very good example, BT nice work!!
[*]Right screen shot is from the Santa Cruz Sentinel [Linked Image]
Files: Download - Latest Threads v1.2.1 - profusion.iwarp.com

Please report any bugs or suggestions here.

Casual ([email protected])
I'll try to add it into 6.04e since 04e and 6.05 aren't that different.

My Suggestions:
-Varibles to show = Date Of Post, Time Of Post, Topic Starter, No. Replies.

-Ability to filter forums by number, so you can show what you select.

-Multiple streams. Eg.: So you can have two outputs, but one might only show the latest threads in a specific forum (filtered forum output) to the other, which could show EVERYTHING or just another filtered forum etc.
Thanks for this djcasual, I've been waiting for this one laugh

A bug - the page limit always shows one less than the entered number so if I want to how the last 6 topics I have to set $page_limit to 7.

Also in the instructions it should be ubb_lib_posting.cgi instead of ubb_lib_postings.cgi

Cheers
quote:
Mark, thanks for you suggestions. Heres the plans for the near future.

Total Posts (No. Replies) will be added in the next release.

Date Of Post, Time Of Post and Topic Starter options. Although I see some complications with the date and time options I do plan to add these at a later time.

filtering forums, I've actually started working on this before I released v1.0beta, but ran into a lot of problems. I have no release date for this option.

Multiple streams, this shouldn't be hard to do, but untill I can get filtering forums to work I won't be doing any work here.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Casual
quote:
BT,

Thanks for testing Latest Threads SSI and for pointing out the correction.

The bug your getting in $page_limit is not a bug from Latest Threads SSI. The bug resides in the UBB 6.x code. If a recent thread was deleted UBB 6.x doesn't remove the deleted thread listing in the index file.

This index file is created by UBB and stores the latest posts information. Since a recent thread was deleted but never removed from the index file, Latest Threads reads the index and searches for this post but returns no information because the thread no longer exists (the post is ignored). My problem here is Latest Threads still counts the deleted post as 1 listing.

Untill I can figure out more about how this index file is created I have no quick solution. If your board is clean and people don't delete topics very often then you won't see this problem too much.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure by now your board is showing 7 threads if you selected 7 as your $page_limit and no one has deleted any recent threads.

I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Casual

[ July 05, 2001 09:42 PM: Message edited by: djcasual ]
Wahey! You have no idea how grateful I am for this hack, I've been waiting for Activethreads (new version) to do this. Just being able to display the latest threads on the front page usually does great things for the marketing of a ubb. So far no problems with it (displaying only topics).
Yep, cool, it's working OK now, I had recently deleted a thread smile

Thanks a lot for this!
The is just the teaser I was looking for on my front page. If you could get a forum filter in it then it will be perfect. Thanks for a great hack!!
Ummmm I'm gettin the dredded SSI error when I try and include this frown I've tried ALL the different ways of including the file that I can, the one I'm using atm is but it just wont work frown http://www.razor-tech.net any ideas ppl ? the URL to the lastest forum threads is http://www.razor-tech.net/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=latest_threads
Hi,

my server is not allowing ssi "exec" and "virtual", so I tried a free account at f2s.com for the SSI. The file is ok I think :
http://www.dbode.f2s.com/ssi.shtml
but you´ll see - it doesn´t work. At my forums, the script is fine :
http://www.forumdeluxx.de/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=latest_threads
Is this because I execute it from an external server ?

Is it possible to implement it otherwise ? Php ?

Thanks for your help
Dennis
You can't include files from an external server with SSI. With PHP it should be no problem.
when i go to test the script in my browser, http://*********.com/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=latest_threads

i just get a blank page, any suggestions?
Have you made any posts 'AFTER' installing it?
yup, i made one post
quote:
I believe this was fixed in 6.1

Nice work casual...:)
seems to be working ok now, that was starange
I just want to thank everyone for trying out Latest Threads v1.0Beta. So far I haven't found any bugs.

Here's what the next release v1.1 will have:

*Filter Forums
- After doing some serious testing I've finally got this feature to work. (Filters work by forum number and not by forum name ie: 01,02,10)

*More Display options
- Topic Starter Name
- Date Stamp
- Time Stamp
- No. Replies/Posts

*Remote server pickup script add-on.
- For those of you who run seperate servers for you UBB and your Website. This script will run on your Website Server end and will communicate with the UBB server, grabs the latest Threads and brings them to your Website Server. (requires CGI/SSI on the Website server)

I will keep you posted when the new version will be available. cool

Thanks

Casual

[ July 06, 2001 04:20 PM: Message edited by: djcasual ]
Sounds awesome Allen! I can't wait for the update. This hack is exactly what I needed as a teaser for my front page and looks great!
Outstanding hack. Now I need to figure out how to change the fonts and colors...not hard...but time consuming.

May I recommend a CP function for this?
Well... I have to learn php then... bye for the next two weeks ;-)

Dennis
I have a suggestion. Could you make it so the originator of the thread's name is posted and not the latest poster?

Let's some idiot starts a thread like "Latest Threads SSI hack SUCKS!" and I answer their post and sai "Dude, it's a great hack and we all need something like this on our front page".

Well on my front page it's gonna say
"Latest Threads SSI hack SUCKS!" by Rinkrat.

See what I mean..
Works very fine.

see http://www.kurzgeschichten.de
quote:
Yes 'Topic Starter' option will be included in the new version 1.1.

Please read post 17 in this thread for a full list of new features the new release will have. wink

Thanks

Casual

[ July 07, 2001 09:08 PM: Message edited by: djcasual ]
Sounds good casual smile
Could someone please elaborate on what would have to be done to call this script from an external server i.e a 'sister' site?

Thanks
Steve
www.ravensnest2.com/ravensboard.htm
You can include files from a external server like a SSI call with PHP:

Code
code:

This may not work on a server that runs windows.
Mmmm...that didn't work. Actually the only thing that's stopping me putting this in a fram epage on the sister site is that the links do not open in a new window (like UBB) but in my tiny frame.

Umm...yes I'm thick as a brick but could maybe someone fix that laugh

Steve
www.ravensnest2.com/ravensboard.htm
How server intensive is this gonna be if I PHP include the url of ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=latest_threads into a site that gets 30,000 hits a day?

Can you come up with an alternative option where it takes the latest threads and writes them to a html file or even a txt file? That would be a lot better IMO, if it's even possible. I know NewsPro does something similar where you can include a txt file with the latest amount of posts you specify.

Other than that I am just waiting on the forum filter option before I trial run it and overload the processes on my server laugh
You can feed the results from a different server to a html file with a little cgi:

Code
code:

You may run it every 5 minutes or so with a cron job.
quote:
Painlord,

Implementing the save_to_file option is easy to do but you will still need to run the script manually (or use a crontab entry) to get an updated listings file. I'll make sure it's added on version 1.1.

From this I got a great idea!: Have latest threads auto-update to a file only when a new posts/reply's are submitted. I have a theory on how this can be done.

Making Latest_threads auto-update only when new content is posted is a little harder to do but would be the ultimate solution. I was looking more at the UBB code and I think I may know exactly how I can accomplish this. This would take care of any I/O & CPU overload in resources for any site small or big.

Adding auto-update will be the first thing I do after I release v1.1.

Thanks

Casual
quote:
Can these display features be turned off and on?

And can a similar hack be developed to show the latest threads in ONE particular forum?
You could probably manually turn them off, after all they're only likely to be variables (make your own manual format internally etc.).

As for the other Question, Forum Filtering is in v1.1 and that will do what you want. I'm not sure whether he's going to allow for multiple outputs and filtering (same time) just yet though? < That's what I want =).

Having said that you could easily edit the code to call latest_threads2 or something like that. Yet it'd take a bit of time.
quote:
Yes there will be display options to give you several different combinations. Yes there will be a filter_forums option and it will allow you to exclude or include forums by the forum number.

quote:
mark99, I'm actually having a hard time with multiple streams (I thought this would be easy). You shouldn't try to create a new latest_threads2 or else cache files will conflict between your different streams. Last night while I was testing I made latest_threads work standalone but ran into many UBB version conflicts. Works in 6.05 but failed in 6.04x. I hope to nail this one soon.

Someone mentioned a Control Panel earlier in the thread. I don't know if this is such a good idea and could conflict with the multiple streams idea. One main goal I have is to modify less code in the UBB files and work more in the ubb_latest_threads.cgi file. I think CP's are just asking for trouble, and I know Active Topics has CP problems. Especially since infopop comes out with so many new version all the time, I would like to stay away from the ubb code if I could. What do you guys think?

Is a CP needed?

Thanks

Casual

p.s. v1.1 will be released thursday evening 7/12/01 laugh

[ July 11, 2001 07:39 PM: Message edited by: djcasual ]
Do whatever you think is best; I rather have a safer and more functional, yet manually edited script, then one with less and some CP functions.

Less face it, this is a forum for UBB Hacks and if you come here with no understanding of code at all then there's really no point =). In other words, it's not really an issue.

Don't be pressured, just try to get the features working first and consider aesthetics later. As for multiple streams, hmm with the original script you just called the active.cgi file directly, changing internal format (HTML) and variables and copying the file to say active1.cgi and calling both for two different outputs.

Perhaps the solution is to reverse the code for multiple streams so you don't call from the forum, but the file? There's a reason the original didn't call directly as well, probably the same one. I realise this isn't the best way of doing it, but it'd be very flexible and to be honest I've only ever cared that things do what you want them to do, never mind how you get it that way =).

[ July 12, 2001 04:24 AM: Message edited by: mark99 ]
I hope you guys enjoy the new version. Please drop me some feedback. Thanks

Casual

[ July 12, 2001 10:04 PM: Message edited by: djcasual ]
nevermind laugh

[ July 13, 2001 12:24 AM: Message edited by: DzeDom ]
quote:

CP integration is cool, but only if needed. The more standalone something like this can be casual, the better. Much less modifying of files every time a new version comes out equals much less support headaches for you wink

I'll try this on the db forum and see how it runs smile
This is the downlow:

The hack is installed and works great when I enter the address manually into my browser. The problem comes when trying to call it. I know SSI works on my server because most of my page is made up of it, but the line of code in the install instructions does not work when I try to call it up using SSI. In fact, the server ignores it completely, as the line of code is the exact same when I view the source on the loaded page. I've tried using include file instead of include virtual, but that doesn't work either. I've tried using the entire url instead of just my "forum/cgi/ultimebb.cgiandsoon" and that doesn't work either. I need help, anyone who wants to give it will get the everlasting joy of helping a poor child in his quest of world domination. :-)

Thanks.
SuperG
You have the option of saving it as "latest_threads.html" don't you? Can you include that to where you need it?
Hi,

I tried to call latest_threads.html via php - but the problem is that when I include it in a html file, my server is not executing php - so I can just call php in php3 or 4 files... is it possible to execute php in html files ?

I did a workaround which is bad because netscape users can´t view it - I took an iframe tag to include latest_threads...

By the way, this one is VERY useful - it helps communities to profit from a good startpage.

Dennis
::crosses fingers::
ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease

ok... i was wondering if there was such a way to format all this info so that i can place it in a table beneath all the forums on my forum summary, ultimatebb.cgi page.

and, to have it displayed in more of a horizontal layout (to fit the boards), rather than the current vertical design.

(similar placement as the "icon legend" on ultimatebb.cgi, except, i guess, right above it)

thanks!
i guess im sorta looking for something like adding the 5 or 10 most recent posts in a table, identical to that which appears on the "today's active topics" page (where it lists it in a forum-like table, complete with post, short "teaser" message, poster, date, time, forum, etc).

at one point, i attempted merging the two cgi's ... to some disasterous results. but, hey, im not smart, so, thats to be understood smile

mebbe y'all (and this hack) can help?
quote:
SuperG,

Your server probrably doesn't allow you to SSI include a cgi program.

Try executing it...

Maybe that will work?
If it does, I guess you can also use this to save_to_file and then include the html file?

Thanks

Casual
quote:
This is easy to do... let me see if I can come up with something soon.

Casual laugh
I don't know if we can bear all the "thank you's" that will erupt from robbie if you get this to workin casual... I think he gave up eating a long time ago until he got active topics moved from his active topics page into his forum summary page. laugh

Next, he's gonna want his forum summary page in his active topics page to save a click or 2. wink
quote:
I saw this at a php website. Try a couple of things, seems like php only allows you to do relative includes.

chdir("yourcgibin/");
include("ultimatebb.cgi?latest_threads");
?>

include ("../../yourcgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?latest_threads");
?>

$fp = @fopen("http://www.yourdomain.com/yourcgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?latest_threads", "r");
echo "$fp";
fclose($fp);
?>

I'm not a php user or use php. I suggest you look more at www.php.net , Thats where I found help for most of these includes. I hope that helps

Casual
Congratulations for this hack.
I have a question.Is there any way to avoid the line which seperates the topics ?
quote:
dreamer, If you make you own custom layout you can (read the public_latest_thresds.pl file), otherwise you need to find the exact $display section you want chenged in the code and replace the

with a

Thanks

Casual
I'm sorry if this has been asked earlier, I didn't see it so I'm asking 8)

Is this hack compatible w/ Active Topics v1.8d.... Because It would be nice to have both.... laugh
Bug

If you are using ssi and board is setup for member access only, SSi command displays login page instead of latest topics.
Dj,

Any progress on 'Multiple Outputs' like you could do with the original by copying the active.cgi file and changing format/filtering settings in each?
dj:

<>

WUHOO!!!! thank y'sir!
double A:

<>

dont jinx it, man!!! i just ordered the pizza!! wink
quote:
It shouldn't be a problem. When you mod your ultimatebb.cgi just look for the 'active_topics' routine instead of the 'ged_daily'. ubb_lib_posting.cgi should be the same.

quote:
I knew this could happen ever since I released v1.0. Reason is latest_threads gets called through ultimatebb.cgi, UBB isn't allowing latest_threads to execute because your board is private. Currently there is no fix for this until I release v1.2 which will run stand-alone. Sorry.

quote:
I'm glad you asked. I need pre-beta testers for v1.2. This new version runs stand-alone and you can copy and rename it to make multiple streams, also fixes the private board problem mentioned above.

Because it's totally different I would like to get a couple of people to test it further. If anyone wants to pre-beta test v1.2 (especially those with 6.04x or earlier) please e-mail. However please note: I've already screwed my forum twice with the new version so only advanced users who know their UBB and want to experiment are needed.

Thanks

Casual

[email protected]
If there's no modification of ubb files, I would like to try it with the 6.1 beta smile
Hehe god I'd love to help test that but my board is just too damn precious to trial something that sounds sooooooo risky =).

Did you actually manage to recover your forum from the problems through backed up files because if so then that's not a problem.
Just a note to say id love to see this working the way i would of thought most obvious, and thats when a user adds a post, it updates an html file that can be included anywhere, with little overhead. How long before we see this do you reackon? if this is what you want help testing ill give it a go.
Excellent hack, works perfect!!! thanks for your work & help!
quote:
Sorry, but the ubb_lib_posting.cgi still has to be modified. ultimatebb.cgi is left alone.

quote:
Hmm, I actually made it sound worse then it really is. If you backup files (vars_) then it's no problem getting your UBB back.

quote:
This is the final plan. I know how to get this done, just getting there and finding time to test things is the hard thing.

quote:
Thanks laugh

---------

Casual

[email protected]

[ July 18, 2001 10:02 PM: Message edited by: djcasual ]
Can anyone explain what a crontab is?
"This option work great if you have access to a crontab
and you may want to schedule it to run every 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes."
Thanx in advance.
quote:
Crontab is basicly a TASK SCHEDULER, it runs certain programs or scripts that you want to run at certain times. Read the tutorial for more info.

Crontab Tutorial

Thanks

Casual

[email protected]
(pssst... dj, you get my email/pm? 'bout helpin with this, heeyah?)

[ July 20, 2001 11:49 AM: Message edited by: drkknght ]
Dj,

How's the new v1.2 coming? You're welcome to shoot some Beta code over to [email protected] and I'll give it a whirle. Multiple Outputs/formats and filtering is just what I'm after =).
Can you help me with pickup_latest....
I have my ubb in another server.I did exactly what it says but when I try and call it from the browser as mysite.com/cgi-bin/pickup....cgi ,I get only the contents of the cgi file.I think my web server is on NT system.Any ideas?
Does anyone have some code from public_latest_threads which looks good that they could share ? 'Cos I can't get mine looking good.
quote:
mark99, no progress, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and ran into problems. I'm starting this from scratch. Please have patience, I'm working as fast as can with the limited time I have available. I know you have been waiting months for Multiple outputs (I've read some of the Active Topics threads). I can assure you I will finish this and not jump ship like the rest of those guys from Active Topics.

quote:
I don't think it will work on NT, Here's a list of the installed modules on my server. I think this is why some server this script works and others won't. Has anyone else had any success with this script?

Perl 5
libnet-1.0606
URI-1_02
HTML-Parser-2_23
MIME-Base64-2_11
Digest-MD5-2_07
libwww-5_43

Thanks

Casual
It works fine on my IIS5.0 box.

Although it is slow now due to it not being Football Season.

And every once in a while my Latest Threads will become unavailable.
(random times not at midnight)
Dj,

Not a problem, you're doing a good job as it is. Mostly I'm just worried you might jump to v6.1 'only' once that's released before supporting multiple threads under 6.04/6.05.

While lots of people have flexible forums, I couldn't take the hours of hacking and private customization to install 6.1 =).

Note that v6.1 will be BETA to start with, but its got some big differances in the way it handles and indexes posts.
quote:
Are you referring to the pickup_latest_threads.cgi (addon script) or the uub_latest_threads.cgi program itself?

quote:
I talked to someone from Infopop (I think his name was Charles). I asked him if the get_daily routine or the index listing was changed. He mentioned that he fixed a few bugs in the index file but nothing else has been changed. Don't worry I'll make sure I release it for version 6.05 and below first and worry about 6.1.0 later. laugh

Thanks

Casual
Hi, i am brazilian... my english not is very good, so... i will be fast in my question...

I have installed sucessfull the modification, but, when I don´t known how do to made a link to Last Post in Fórum...

I have changed the "public_topic_page.pl" (templates), where have the date I put a link to Lastest post, but i can´t do this work.

Any can help me?
What the Link to make this link work?
The already link now is:

"$vars_config{CGIURL}/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=$in{f}&t=$one&p=?????#?????"

I guess then miss variables to get lastest replies!

Thank You !

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: CycloneBR ]
Latest Threads seems to be working okay on my Version 6.1 Beta. I am displaying topic only with SSI and have not done any other testing.
quote:
I'm not trying to be rude, but I did not understand what your trying to say. What exactly are you trying to do?

Please explain more.

quote:
I'm glad you tried it on 6.1, I kind of figured it would still work. I'm sure if you got the simple display option to work everything else should work also.

Could someone send me a copy of ubb 6.1.0 beta? Or tell me where I can get a copy of the beta release?

Thanks

Casual

[email protected]

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]
I think you are looking for www.infopop.com wink

I noticed that once the variables were set in 6.05, the scripts still run without any ubb work smile (like on our front page) it's not perfect, but works still smile
Dj,

You can't get a copy from somebody else because UBB6 is tagged and Infopop will see it as piracy. It lets them know whom is using what and whether it's a valid copy.

Just keeping this thread at the top =)
I'm going to combine UBBNews with Latest Threads v1.1 to do what I need, just want to know whether we'll be able to update from v1.1 to v1.2?
quote:
Yup, I'm almost done v1.2 (standalone), it will be done by this weekend. I won't be working on 6.1.x until it's out of beta.

Thanks

Casual

[email protected]
Ah v1.1 was easy to install anyway and so I doubt upgrades would be a problem =).

I look forward to v1.2, v1.1 seems to be running perfectly under v6.04e and I've got 40 hacks installed =).
Is it possible to add in a feature that can limit the number of characters when showing the summary of the topic?

I feel that the number of characters is too much now.
quote:
Originally posted by q_ware:
Is it possible to add in a feature that can limit the number of characters when showing the summary of the topic?

I feel that the number of characters is too much now.

Maybe, I'll look into it.

Casual
I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not going to be able to finish latest threads v1.2 by this weekend like I mentioned. I Still need to put the Install text file together and fix some minor problems/adjustments. Please look for the update sometime next week. Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Casual
Thanks, it's a nice addition to my homepage!
I know most of you guys thought that Casual was done for, disapeared without a trace, jumped ship, closed it's doors, etc..

I'm not like those Active Topic authors.

However I do want to apologize to everyone for the long delay on v1.2. I've been very busy.

So, here it is v1.2 now works stand-alone, and your able to copy/rename each script to create multiple streams. Scripts have been tested and work perfectly.

Since these scripts (v1.2) get more complicated I cannot be responsible for any consequenses if used on UBB v6.1x and above (I don't think it will work, and I've never tried it). I know some people have mentioned that v1.1 works great on UBB 6.1x and you may want to try version 1.1 available on the start of this thread.

I've tested v1.2 on 6.05 and below only.

Next versions will be released for UBB 6.1x once it becomes out of BETA. But I will still support v1.2 for UBB 6.05 and below.

Please let me know of any bugs here. Excuse the install notes bad grammar. (I'm a programmer not a freaking writer).

Enjoy, Thanks

Casual ([email protected])
Love the script! Thanks a lot...

I have one question for anyone that can answer this, I was wondering why replies don't show up in the Latest Threads and just original posts? Is there a way to show replies as well?

Thanks
Chad Hardy
The Web Design School
http://www.thewebdesignschool.com
wo0t...thanks!
quote:
If you use the last post name and summary then it will show you the reply information. Otherwise topics are the same for all the replies.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks
Hmm I have 170 forums, this only supports up to 99 =(.
quote:
Mark99,

170!!, Ok, I just assumed no one would ever have more that 99 so I created an easy way to do the filters. I guess I was wrong.

I'll have the option to go beyond 99 forums soon. Look for an update later.

Thanks

Casual
Hey there

I hope you can help. I'm running UBB 6.04b (http://www.doghause.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi) and I just attempted to install unsuccessfully the latest threads v1.2 hack.

First let me say that this hack is so great because of it's unobtrusive nature. I had tried the Active Topic hack a few months ago with limited success and I was pleased how much easier this one was.

But I'm afraid when I tried to get this one working, I had some problems. Here is what I did:

(1) I modified ubb_lib_postings.cgi on line based on the directions. I left its chmod alone at 755.

(2) I opened lt.cgi on my hard drive and set the variables to:

$save_to_file = 0;

$index_listings = 1;

$page_limit = 8;

$display = 3;

$public_zone = 0;

$filters = 0;
@filter_forums = ('01','03','10');

and left everything else alone.

(3)I uploaded public_lt.pl to my non cgi directory under templates which is called ubb/Templates. I made public_lt.pl chmod 755. I also tried it at 644 but that seemed to give me the same result.

(4) I uploaded lt.cgi and lt_reset to my cgi directory which is called cgi-bin. I made both of these 755. I also tried deleting lt_reset.cgi because I was choosing not to use it but that didn't help either. Right now they are both up there.

(5) Crossing my fingers, I went to test. I typed in http://www.doghause.com/cgi-bin/lt.cgi and my server provider (which is not free) sent me to their error page at http://errorpages.cais.net/error500.htm.

(6) Sighing I reviewed all variable changes and chmods and found no issues that I could see.

(7) I thought I'd try the ssi anyhow. I created one (an shtml file) that pulled a test htm file and it worked great. So yes my server does run ssi files on shtml files.

(8) I then made a test shtml file calling the lt.cgi file thinking that maybe my server had some issue with it being called directly. This file is http://www.doghause.com/test1.shtml. It says:

Its chmod is 644. The error I get is "[an error occurred while processing this directive]".

(9) So now I am begging for help from you. If you know what is wrong and there is a work around or I missed something please please inform me.

Thank you in advance for helping if you can!

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Holly

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: holly ]
Holly,

First off a 500 error you get means you configured the script wrong in some way. You have to display more info on how you configured cause right now it seems the configuration is wrong so going farther ahead like putting it into html would be pointless.

Second of all, SSI'ing via <<--include virtual a CGI is a no no... the virtual tag is only used for html type pages (or php for that matter).

Anyhow you have to use an <--exec tag for the cgi pages that you are trying to run. HOWEVER this is the catch, your cgi must work first in order for you to even think about SSI'ing the CGI wink

Anyhow post more info on your coding and it should be easier to help you out.
Russell,

The lt directions did not ask for much configuration. So I did not make many. I cannot think of anything that I did not mention in the last email. I'm not sure what other information I can give you on my coding. What type of information would be helpful to you? I'll be happy to send you whatever you need. Just let me know.

As far as the SSIs... I'm a complete newbie when it comes to them so I appreciate your correction (which will help when everything else gets straightened out.) I changed

to .
I get a blank page now instead of that error. I believe that is an improvement. smile

Thank you so much for your help in this matter.

Holly
Any idea when a version for 6.1 will be released?
Please note that some servers don't care whether you use exec or virtual, whichever works is always best.

As for a 6.1 ver, djc has often said that he'll wait for a v6.1 final before moving on.
Just had a quick question, lets say u have it display 7 topics on the page, when it hits 8 topics just it start over and show only one latest thread? does it clear the cache, or does it just ad the 8 post as the newset thread on the list?
quote:

Sorry for the late response. I was on a long awaited 3 week vacation!
cool

Anyway, with the new version of lt.cgi you must make sure you set the PERL path correct (this is probrably your problem not listed in your steps). LT.CGI now runs standalone so if the perl path is not the same as the ultimatebb.cgi then LT will give you a 500 error.

Let me know if this problem continues.

Thanks

Casual
[email protected]

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]
quote:

Topics get added to a master list. Lt.cgi grabs the latest threads from the master list but limits it's display to your prefs. Lt always makes sure it grabs the latest threads in the list by a time/date stamp sort. Your master list may contain up to 60 entrys (depending how long its been running). If you clear your MISC cache from the control panel, you will erase the Master list entrys (also called the rollover data).

Thanks

Casual

PS, I also fixed a link to the file. My web provider seems to have a problem. Please use the alternative site at http://profusion.iwarp.com.
Dj,

Just to let you know that v1.1 works perfectly in UBB6.1B2 and I've solved a problem of yours.

Auto updating files can be done by calling the file and then also calling the URL to update that file (no data shows, but the call automates the file update process).

In other words.:

Bingo, the second call from within the UBB updates the first file call. I'm not sure how CPU intensive this is, my solution is to put the second SSI call on a less visited page =).

Please note that this is excellent for those using UBB Compression because compression corrupts SSI output that comes directly from the forum.
I run my UBB on an IIS server and get this error when I run lt.cgi

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Any ideas?
Never mind, I set the output file to 0 and it works...I haven't integrated it into my homepage yet, but i will tonight..

Thanks!
Okay, I'm kinda stuck here. If I set save to file to "1" I get the cgi error above, but if I set it to "0" and I can hit the lt.cgi successfully with a browser, my include causes all of the code on the lt.cgi page to show up, not just the latest threads. Is this hack IIS 5 compliant?
quote:
Yes, I've had other reports that it works on UBB 6.1.x but only because it runs through ultimatebb.cgi. Making it work standalone is the hard part. I'm working on the 6.1.x code now along with fixing/adding feature on the 6.0x code.

quote:
This is actually not a bad idea. However I know I can make Latest Threads auto-update when new post are submitted only. I'll keep you guys updated.

Question:

How many of you think I should continue to work and update Latest Threads for 6.0x? Should I leave 6.0x AS Is and concentrate more on 6.1.x?

Thanks

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]
quote:
IIS compliant, maybe not. I do testing and development on Unix Solaris with IPlanet servers software. Do you know where I can find IIS manuals, troubleshooting guides, etc...?

Thanks

Casual
Hey dj, the best link for IIS stuff is www.technet.com and use the advanced search. The knowledge base is huge. I think my problem is in how the virtual include is handling the cgi, not in your page itself. If I could set the write to file to "1" I could access the html, but when I do that I get the error above.

I appreciate your reply.
Nice hack,,,please don't abandon the 6.0X version!!

I was wondering if there's any way to change the number of words that the summary option outputs?? It prints out too much of each post for my purposes at the minute. Cheers.
Never mind, seems ok now smile
I think it'd be nice to see a 6.1 latest threads beta, but you don't need to put all your effort in until it's actually out of beta.

If you need somebody to help test then give me a PM or mail, have a test board for this sort of thing.
i'm not quite sure how to dl this hack..can someone give me a link?
Well dj, I put up a page with the cgi file showing up instead of the latest threads, and I noticed in the middle of the mess is this error;

Error including required files: $@ $!n";#, Dumper %vars_registration;
print "Make sure these files exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

You can see the page here . Any ideas?
Hmmmm, there has to be someone using IIS that can help with this???
quote:
Sounds good, I'll keep in touch!

quote:
All the hacks always have the link on the first post in the thread. Otherwise the website like is:
http://profusion.iwarp.com

quote:
Xpert, How about you email/pm me the link to the cgi script where you are getting the error and write down the settings your using for lt.cgi. I need more info to figure why your getting these errors.

Is IIS run on NT?

Thanks

DjCasual
[email protected]
quote:
Nevermind the Link, I found your website and I have looked at your scripts running. However when I run cgi-bin/lt.cgi the output is perfect! But your include isnt working?

Are you using the Save_to_File option? How are you including your lt.cgi?

Try this include instead:

I think I read somewhere that NT doesn't like virtual includes for cgi. Give it a shot and please let me know.

Thanks

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]
If I use the exec instead of include I can get the no new threads message, but as soon as I post I get a blank.

If I use the save to file option I get this error running lt.cgi...

CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

If I don't use the save to file option I can run lt.cgi just fine, but you see the results if I try to use an include.

I'm going to dig around some and if I come up with the answer I'll be sure to post it.

BTW, the same results occur at my host and on two of my own IIS boxes.
quote:
Ok, I think I know what the problem is with the CGI error your getting. I may have left out some Content-Type header information out in the LT 1.2 version.

I'll have an updated version tomorrow afternoon, I don't have access to a IIS server so you'll have to try it and let me know if it works.

Look for the update tomorrow evening (pacific).

Thanks

DjCasual
I will try it immediately and let you know. I appreciate the time you're putting into this.
Latest Threads has been updated.

v1.2.1 includes the following:
  • Two digit limitation for forum filters now fixed.
  • IIS/NT Server compatibility fix (we hope)
  • Minor bug fixes

Thanks Everyone!

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]
dj,

The hack works great!

[ 10-13-2001: Message edited by: Teutonic ]
Okay, I don't get the cgi error anymore, but if I use the save to file option i don't get a latest_threads_lt.html file in my noncgi directory. With your older version i have no trouble getting the latest_threads.html file written, in fact I'm using it on netwerkin's home page.
quote:
I'm really sorry your having so much problems with 1.2.x. If the file is not saving the issue lies with NT/IIS. I only have access to Iplanet/Solaris and Apache/Linux servers and both servers save the latest_threads_lt.html files correctly.

Can anyone supply a small NT/IIS w/cgi account to do more R&D for Latest_threads?

Xpert, I'll look around in the code to see why NT/IIS doesn't like LT.CGI save-to funtion.

Thanks

DjCasual
I'll see if I can set up a server for you. I'll try to get one with term server running so that you have total access.
quote:
Xpert, that would be awesome. Please email me if and when you can provide that account. ([email protected])

On other news; Those of you who want a Latest_Threads for the new 6.1 will only have to wait about 1 week after the official UBB 6.1 is released. Possibly October 26th.

I will still support and upgrade LT for UBB 6.0x.

Thanks

Casual
Welp, I don't have an IIS server, but hey djcasual, tell me if I'm wrong, but do I HAVE to always activate lt_reset.cgi for the script to update to the latest threads avaliable?.. I'm talking up to the post type viewing via SSI.

The reason I ask is because, I myself have access to Cron jobs and stuff but some might not.

What I ended up doing was actually editting the lt_reset.cgi script to NOT display text at all. Then I would have the script activate right above the SSI coding for lt.cgi so that it would update with up the the minute threads.

I'd like a confirmation whether or not I even have to actually do this action for the thing to update up to the thread (on lt.cgi load).. or would I have to keep activating lt_reset.cgi

Here is what I mean. My main page is at:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A BETA SITE, I am still configuring the boards and the entire workaround so that everything is functioning fluidly.

Register on the boards if you'd like... I'm the only one beta testing it for now.

Main Website (with LT Hack Implemented on the Left Hand Side)
http://www.animebb.org/index22.shtml

UBB Area:
http://forumcenter.animebb.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
quote:
RussellK,

Please don't get confused with scripts.

lt.cgi = This is the main script

lt_reset.cgi = This should only be used to reset latest_threads cache files. This file should never be used to run lt.cgi.

public_lt.pl = This is a custom display option file and you must upload this to your /noncgi dir/Templates/ or you may run into problems.

All the other files are optional.

Remeber to modify the ubb_posting.cgi like the install says or else your lt.cgi will never update.

Keep in mind that you need to post topics so that you can get latest_threads to start building your thread listings.

I'll look at your site soon.

Thanks

DjCasual
I just upgraded my forum to UBB 6.1.0 and of course my Latest Threads didn't work.

After a couple of hours learning the new UBB 6.1.0 code I'ved quickly figured out how to run Latest_Threads standalone once again. (Filehandlers are no fun but I understand why they put them)

All those of you who have emailed me requesting a Latest Threads version for 6.1.0 don't have to wait too long.

I should have a running version by the middle of next week.

This also means the end of any new development for UBB 6.x LT code, most of the bugs are fixed and I have 1 final release for UBB 6.x waiting but only adds Iframe support and minor bug fixes.

I'll still check back here and then for support. However a new forum will be opened later next week under '6.1.0 Beta Mods'.

I also encourage everyone to upgrade to 6.1.0, I've already noticed a huge increase in speed.

Thanks

DjCasual
djcasual,

Well the main thing that was occuring was that whenever I make a new post, YES indeed it would edit lt.cgi and it would update just fine and dandy on the SSI execution.

HOWEVER as soon as a reply is made, when I reload the SSI, or even the lt.cgi script itself, it would not reset the cache to display the new current statistics of the thread (as in adding in 1 more new thread to the post).

In order to bypass this, I had to edit lt_reset.cgi to NOT display text, and had to run it side by side (through SSI execution) on the same page as lt.cgi. This resetted the cache on the load of the page, and it would then show the most current statistics on the posts.

I dunno if i'm doing more work than intended here but I didn't know what else to do.

Again here are my beta pages:

Location of the SSI
http://www.animebb.org/index22.shtml

UBB Board
http://forumcenter.animebb.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Once again note that this is a beta page, so if you incur any errors please feel free to let me know. Thanks.
quote:
RussellK,

Are you still having problems? I've been monitoring your websites Latest_threads.

All the topics seem to be updating correctly.

Your problem sound like you didn't modify/hack your ubb_postings.cgi if you do not modify this file your cache will not update.

Otherwise you Please let me know the status.

Thanks

DjCasual

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: djcasual ]
It's working fine because i editted lt_reset.cgi and now it runs alongside with lt.cgi

I hacked all the files but the cache would not update so i had to go ahead and resort to editting the lt_reset.cgi to not display text... i execute it right above lt.cgi and it now works fine.
Simple question: Does this script work with 5.47e? wink
Is the version for 6.1 out yet. Thanks for all your hard work djcasual!
quote:
Yes, Latest_threads will work on 5.47e!

quote:
I'm glad you asked!! Yes, I'm releasing it tomorrow (Friday). This code was completely re-done so it took me a little longer than expected.

Thanks

Casual
forgive me if someone has already mentioned this i havent noticed. i did this hack with no probs at all excellent hack but have just noticed that it is displaying the login name of members and not the display name
How do I have to change the code in order to have the last page displayed when clicking the link to a specific topic??
I also have the Anchor Hack installed. Is it even possible to jump to the right anchor?
quote:
Ok, you found something I never noticed, good eye. I'll look into it.

Thanks

quote:
Yes, this is something I'm trying to figure out myself. So far I have not been able to accomplish this, but it is on my list of things to do. If anyone has any code ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Latest Threads v1.2.2 for UBB6.1.x is now available at:

http://profusion.iwarp.com

Thanks

DjCasual
lt_reset.cgi was missing from the archive, otherwise everything works great! laugh
Hi I have a question.

I installed the v1.2.1 on my forum and it's working fine, but I want something special I guess.

Instead of seeing every last post, I only want to display the body of the first post. So basically I need the Variable "$first_post" instead of the "$last_post". Except that "$first_post" doesn't exsist. Can anybody help me with the correct var????

Thanks, otto
What do you mean body of first post? Like show the first post on the page?
Is there a 6.2.1 version? or is this one compatable with it?

Thanks,

Travis
Yes there is a 6.2 version. Go into the 6.2 Beta forum and you'll find it there.
I've just tried to download the original latest threads script for UBB 6.0x but unfortunately the link does not work - has anyone got it stored anywhere else?

Regards
all links are down!!!!

i search: UBB 6.1.x Only: Latest Threads v1.2.7- Updated 1/17/02

can you help me???????

please answer or mail me!!!

thx

crazy pill
I just checked the links in the first post here, they work fine.
????

i'm from germany! so my english is not so good!

ok!

i search the hack "UBB 6.1.x Only: Latest Threads v1.2.7- Updated 1/17/02".
on the server (http://profusion.iwarp.com/) the download link is down!!! i can't download it!

can you give me the right link for this hack?

thx

crazy pill

p.s. do you know that this hack "Latest Threads v2.1 (UPDATE 7/8/2002 - UBB 6.3.x & 6.2.x)" worked on version 6.1
this is the link that is not woking: http://profusion.iwarp.com/latest_threadsv1.2.7.zip
© UBB.Developers