UBB.Dev
Posted By: amykhar [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/28/2001 12:28 AM
It's been stress tested and is now officially out of beta. I have tested it on both 6.0 and 6.1 with no problems. This replaces the radio buttons for posting icons with a drop down box. It has a control panel interface for naming the icons.

http://epinionaddicts.com/icon1_2.zip

My board is private, so forgive me for not providing a link in. However, I will post screen shots of the hack below.

Amy

[ March 27, 2001: Message edited by: amykhar ]
Posted By: amykhar Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/28/2001 12:35 AM
Control Panel:

[Linked Image]

Posting Screen:

[Linked Image]
looks nice amy smile
Posted By: cali3d Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/28/2001 1:02 AM
Great hack thanks!!
And it works like a charme smile

[ March 27, 2001: Message edited by: cali3d ]
Posted By: Alien Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/28/2001 1:27 AM
Very nice work, I'm extremely impressed! laugh
Soo there is no diffrents from the beta version?
Nope. This is the same as the final beta. I just wanted to give people a chance to try it before I declared it "gold". smile

I am still trying to think of enhancements for future versions. I am open to ideas smile.

Amy
Amy

Very cool...my first ever mod eek eek
Very easy and a cool result. I've just set up a board and now want to tweak everything, I think I'm out of control

Just a quick query, can you delete an icon from the list? If I find the file in the icons directory and delete it, does it also vanish from the list in the control panel. Don't flame me if this is really obvious (and I already answered the question) I'm just a bumbling newbie and don't want to break the bb before I even make it publically available

Anyway, great job on the mod..I like it
yea i gotta give her mad props on this hack!
Looks good.
Posted By: melder Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/29/2001 9:28 AM
? Templates out of order ?

posting (screen) ok
control panel (icon name) ok
templates - ??? ( ... ist einfach weg!)

6.01. german - test on www.chat-board.de

please help me ...
quote:
After you delete it, you are going to have to renumber your other icons - unless it was the last in the list. Then, you need to go to your control panel and correct the names, and submit the settings. You should be good to go then.

However, I don't recommend it because then your other posts will get messed up because the icon is numerically named. Personally, I would overwrite the icon you wish to delete with another one. That way, there won't be an icon shift.

Amy
Melder,
I am not exactly sure what you are asking. Can you rephrase?

Amy
Posted By: CNCR Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/29/2001 6:42 PM
mabey you can add a feature which allows you to add new icons. that would be very nice.
CNCR,
Adding a new icon is as simple as giving it the proper number and dropping it in the directory. Then, go to the control panel and give it a name smile

Amy
Posted By: melder Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/29/2001 7:07 PM
yessssss - its working great.

i´ve lost any files as starto (my server) crashs. new upload und all right.

+++ sorry for my stupid english +++

check the 6.01 german version
+ who is online
+ counter (topic)
+ newsfader
+ this great hack (dropdown massage)
www.chat-board.de

*tx*
Posted By: SharkY Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 03/31/2001 12:07 AM
nm. it's working now

[ March 30, 2001: Message edited by: SharkY ]
Hey Amy, again thanks for a great mod!

I was installing it this morning on 6.02 and instead of entering the JavaScript part in the cp, I added it like this.

Code
code:

Just changed the path to use ubb variables instead of hard coding the address in.

Anyway, just thought I'd share smile

Thanks again!

[ March 31, 2001: Message edited by: freakscene ]
Thanks. I'll add that in. I fixed a small bug too. Currently, if you edit a message, it loses the icon that was already posted.

Simply replace the sub create_icon_field in ubblib_postings.cgi with this one. The zip file has been updated to reflect freakscene's change and my bug fix.

Code
code:

[ March 31, 2001: Message edited by: amykhar ]
I need some help please. I'm still getting an error even after I updated the ubb_lib_posting.cgi file This is what I get:

Content-type: text/html
Software error:
Unmatched right bracket at /data1/va/webs4free/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 213, at end of line syntax error at /data1/va/webs4free/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 213, near "}"
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Mar 31 18:02:27 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Unmatched right bracket at /data1/va/webs4free/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 213, at end of line [Sat Mar 31 18:02:27 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: syntax error at /data1/va/webs4free/cgi-bin/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 213, near "}"

Also when loading the CP and going to Message Icon Setting the page will load up fine. But it's loads under date and time settings then it's crashes.

When loading the wordlets for it. It also says action not permitted.

This is with UBB 6.01

[ March 31, 2001: Message edited by: Webdaddie ]
Amy! I'm sorry. Geez I need to start sleeping more....

I had the path variable instead of the noncgiurl one.... I would have caught it but that works on my NT machine since the path holds the true address here... Did catch it after I uploaded it to my site.

This is the correct version.
Code
code:

Again, Sorry! Thanks for the code update smile works great smile
Posted By: meffi Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/18/2001 12:46 AM
i have a problem....in the scrollbar are no names of any Icons =/

what to do?
Posted By: Swift Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/18/2001 5:45 AM
meffi, Under the Primary Settings in your CP Set the names of the Icons.
Wellum... I installed as per instructions. No hitches. Went into the Control panel and named the icons. Everything seems ok, but nothing happens. No errors and the old icons are still sitting there, no java drop down either. Did I miss something?
Did you replace the sub routine in ubb_libposting.cgi?

Amy
Are you saying the download wasn't updated? eek
Posted By: Seb Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/21/2001 2:22 PM
Hi,
great mod, i think... ;-)
Buuuut i have the same problem like AtomicLibSmasher...
:-(
The download was updated. I have tested this on all versions of UBB since 6.0 and am having no problems with it.

Amy
Amy I will say one thing... I've never installed such an extensive hack and not had it freak out if it didn't work. You do quality hacks my dear, but I am tellin' ya... it does absolutely nothing but show the options in the control panel. Can you think of anything that would cause such a scenario?
Thanks!
Posted By: Eliza Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/22/2001 6:18 PM
I have the same problem that a poster had before but it was never addressed. I got this error...

Missing right bracket at /home/wishbear/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 1056, at end of line syntax error at /home/wishbear/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb_lib_posting.cgi line 1056, at EOF

Everything else worked fine in the cp so then I went to test it on my test board and I tried to reply to a message or post a new topic I got the above error line. Any help would be appreciated.

I am running ubb v 6.04a

Eliza

[ April 22, 2001 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Eliza ]
AtomicLib,
Have you still got it installed on the board in your sig line? I have no way to test it on the build that is installed there. As far as I know, that's not a public release.

However, just for grins, send me your ubb_lib_postings.cgi. That is the file that sets up the drop down box.

[email protected]

Amy
Eliza,
Make sure that you replaced the entire subroutine in ubb_lib_postings.cgi and that you got the closing bracket in there.

Amy
Not all together sure what you mean by do I have it installed on my sig line, but I'll email you the file you requested. Your idea is a good one, hate to see it swim by.
Posted By: Eliza Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/22/2001 10:56 PM
I got it to work now. It wasn't the bracket at the end of what we had to put in the ubb_lib_posting.cgi but right before it I was missing these 2 lines...
chmod (0666, "$vars_config{NonCGIPath}/$exact_path/forum_$number.threads");

} # end unlink_topic_from_forum_summary

Not sure how that happened, but it works now! Thanks for the help though! Great hack!!

Eliza
Posted By: Seb Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/23/2001 1:11 PM
frown
Anyone successfully running this hack on UBB 6.04b ?
With no other hacks installed, it works fine on my 6.04b.

Maybe we should start investigating what other hacks might be conflicting.

Amy
Posted By: Seb Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 04/24/2001 3:53 PM
There is no other hack installed confused
Atomic's problem was that he never did the ubb_lib_posting.cgi part of the hack. Other than a few installation errors, I haven't seen any problems with the hack.

Seb, I will be happy to help you out if you want to email me the modified files. (cp.cgi, cp_lib.cgi, ubb_lib_posting.cgi, etc.)

Amy
I just updated the zip file with a shw file. The shw file works on 6.04b.

Amy
I want to thank Amy for spotting my exclusion. She's a really swell gal. wink
Posted By: Nulak Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 05/01/2001 5:18 PM
Never mind, figured it out.

[ May 01, 2001 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Nulak ]
if you ask me this hack isn't all to great. I mean it is much more easy for a "poster" to click a radio button rather then scroll in a box looking for an icon. Sure it looks good but for people posting its more easy to click a radio button fast then scroll around. unless Amy can add the picture in the drop down box and take away the text, but that takes a little more programming.

[ May 01, 2001 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Little 5 ]
Posted By: Engine Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 05/01/2001 11:34 PM
Nope i think thats another finde hack from many here, i hackes it in and it´s works superb. I have now 20 hacks or so in my board and all works with no problems. i remember the ubb 5.xx that there some hacks make more probs.

Good work
amykhar
ok it worked great but i got 1 problem! i moved my server and when i try to select wich smilie i want it goes to a x box and if i right click it has the path to my old server! how do i change this?
Never mind! i am happy figured it out on my own! smile
Sorry Mr. Clean, didn't see the question until it was too late. smile

Amy
For the curious, I have just successfully installed it on 6.04d using the shw file. 5 second hack. Gotta love it smile

Amy
Has anyone made a file for Multi Hack yet?
Disregard...I just built one smile
i have over 890+ icons on my UBB (and growing), your UBB Mod is a GOD send. THANK YOU ! ! !

i've been installed your UBB Mod on UBB 6.04c.

here are some features that i would like to see added:

* option to automatically name icons based on filename
* option to hide icon name during posting (if using above option)
* option to allow poster to specify an icon by URL or upload an icon.
admin can specify image size parameters. i.e. 16x16 - 32x32 or only 16x16.

i've also noticed a strange bug in your script. it may be due to the large number of icons that i have. i'll post a screenshot ASAP.

it would also be niced if you specified a version number and date with your Mods so that everyone knows what version they are running. once again, THANK YOU.
here's the screen that i get when i use the "Message Icon" wordlets function:

[Linked Image]

When I had only 100+ icons i received the normal screen that showed the icons and allowed you change the names. now that i have 890+ icons i get this screen. any suggestions? i checked and double the checked the code a hundred times.

[ May 04, 2001 05:44 AM: Message edited by: The Green Lantern ]
The image doesn't seem to be there; so I am unable to help with that part just yet.

However, the automatic image naming has problems because of the way UBB uses message icons. The icons themselves have to be named icon1.gif, icon2.gif ... iconxx.gif where xx is the last number in your list.

The version number is the name of the zip file. Thus far, there have been three versions. 1_0, 1_1, and now 1_2.

I am amazed that you took the time to rename 800+ smilies to reflect the proper number sequencing of message icons. I'm impressed. smile

I'd be interested in seeing the screen shot.

Amy
Posted By: Warlady Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 05/07/2001 10:09 PM
Amy I just wanted you to know that I am having a ball with this feature as are my members! They do love their new toy.
i realy wanna see wat this hack looks like before i decided to install it, but the pics u posted were broken frown may i have a link or screen of this hack in action?
I think this hack brilliant, and it worked on my 6.04d version, but when i tryed to install it onto my new 6.05 version, the code for the dropdown box was wrong, help! :(i dont know what to do!
Posted By: Garaelb Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 07/31/2001 11:34 PM
I just installed the Drop Down Message Icon Mod by Amykhar. It seems to be working fine except for a small problem. I don't have a Message Icon Settings choice in the CP, thus I can't name the Icons.
When I goto the Reply Screen or the New Topic Screen the drop down box is there and I can even select different icons, but the drop down box contains no text. NO NAMES for the Icons.
Anyone out there got any ideas on what I flubbed up?
Here is the link to my site if you have any suggestions.
The Cyber Soap Box
and the url just in case the link wont work
http://www.cybersoapbox.com/csbcgi/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Thanks
Garaelb

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Garaelb ]
can someone please repost the file?
Yeah I also wanted to know working link
for this hack.
Personally think this hack is better than
Pick'n Click Messege icon hack, no offense.
but it is just better..
quote:
You can find it in the Database.
Amy, the link IS down. Do you mind puttiing it back up? I was also wondering if I could maybe port it over to 6.1...
quote:
Well, nevermind seems you got it back up. Everybody can download it from the link on the front page. smile
Good Evening,

I installed the hack and everything is fine and dandy except that:

When I use the drop down I can pick an icon but it won't show the icon.

Help!?

Secondly, GreenLantern, why not share some of your icons with the rest of the UBBDev crew?
Splitfyre, make sure you put the javascript in public_common.pl, then clear your cache.
I did and still no success for in the drop down it should flick over to the other graphics.. here's the code as seen in my public_common.pl:

$vars_config{BBName} : $title_wording
quote:
Hmm, it doesn't change the icon when you click on a different one right?
Yea that's right. Check it out here:

www.futurelooks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

You'll need to register to see it. Site is still in the building process..graphics and all.
quote:
This happened to me exactly when I ported it over to 6.1. Try clearing your cache one more time.
Hey I have a slew of Cache folders can I remove them?
I went to your site and I don't see the javascript in the header..
quote:
I mean go in your Control Panel and under Maintenance, hit clear your cache, select everything and hit submit.
ok let me do it again. I keep doing it. I have a ton of Cache folders can I not remove any of them?
quote:
Don't mess with that stuff. Just go in the CP and clear your cache. If that doesn't work come back here and tell me.
Automatically brings up an error within an Internet Explorer Window when I try to select an icon:

Line: 355
Char: 1
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL: www.futurelooks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?
Hmm, I get an error:

quote:
Disregard the part about no member profile...

Umm, I still don't see it in the source code.. So, instead of putting the javascript in public_common.pl. Put it in the style templates Header Insert.

[ August 04, 2001: Message edited by: Tech-Ni-Kal ]
Sorry. Found that one of other admins removed you. Sorry!

Ok, do you want me to remove it from the public_common.pl?
quote:
Well, I re-registered.

Yes, remove it from there and put it in the header insert.
Refreshed on one of your topic pages and it seems to be working. tipsy
Hey thanks.. I pm'd you on my board. Pls head on over and read it if you can. smile
quote:
Ok, I will go and check it right now. smile
Amykhar great hack. Question though? Is there a limit on drop down image items?

P.S. Tech-Ni-Kal..thanks for all your help smile
quote:
Umm, Amykhar left ubb. But no there isn't a limit and you are welcome.
Posted By: Vegas Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 08/07/2001 12:41 AM
Here's a chin scratcher... (Version 6.04d)

In the drop down box, 4 fields (of 47 total) are blank and the icon is not displaying (showing a link-broken graphic instead).

In the Mess. Icon CP, all of the icon .gifs are showing up fine (including #44, 45, 46 ,47) but the text fields for these numbered icons are blank as well. Anything that gets typed in the fields disapears after saving and then returning to the the Mess. Icon CP. And it's always the last 4 icons (numerically) that will not save the text I input. I used to have 51 Icons, but deleted the last four thinking they were corrupt (?). And the problem just shifted to the next to last four..... ???????????

I went back and did the entire mod twice just to be sure it wasn't a manual input error... any suggestions? Thx in advance smile
Vegas, make sure no numbers are skipped from 1 to the last number if they are you need to fix that. Otherwise it won't work.
Posted By: Vegas Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 08/07/2001 3:05 AM
Wow... you always tend to overlook the obvious, huh?? I was so convinced I made an input error... thanks so much.
quote:
No problem. I had this problem too.
Small guestion Every time i try to install it on my ubb 6.05 it installs but i go to controll panel and go to message icon setting i name them and click on the update button i get:

Unable to open vars_icon.cgi file for writing. at /home/httpd/html/duo-krisz.com/htdocs/cgi-bin/cp_lib.cgi line 8.

And with the wordlets also! why am i getting these errors! And i have try multiple times i intall it right as the instructions tell me! personaly this hack seems to have more problems then whoisonline did for me!
Check permissions...

Post a copy of your vars_icons.cgi file so I can look at it.
Posted By: Neil Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 12/01/2001 2:52 PM
This is a brilliant hack and I like it a lot, althugh I was wondering if there was anyway to make the first icon (the default one) become a random one? So that when someone doesn't bother to change the message icon, a random one is picked for them. Does anyone know an easy way to do this?
dead url
Posted By: Neil Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 12/03/2001 8:29 PM
I can send you the hack if you want it Anime-loo, I've got it here as a .shw as well.

Anyway, regards my query, am I right in thinking that the code I need to change is in this block,,

Code
code:

Any ideas how to make the first icon a random one?

[ 12-03-2001 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Neil ]
Posted By: Zarzal Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 12/05/2001 10:45 AM
anyone have a screenshoot how it looks ? The original links are dead. Who have a link for donload the hack ?
Posted By: Galactus Re: [6.0x] Dropdown Message Icons [ Finished ] - 01/08/2002 10:19 AM
Yes, can anyone repost the Drop-down Message Icon hack? The link has expired.

Thanks!
© UBB.Developers