UBB.Dev
Posted By: AllenAyres [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 1:05 AM
What :: UBB Compression with cgi_buffer.pm

Version :: 6.1.0 PB 2

Info :: As promised in the recent U-zine article. Now you can dramatically reduce bandwidth and download times with an easy to use perl module.

Demo :: https://www.ubbdev.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Credits :: WiLD for pointing it out to us smile

Files :: https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/6.1/Compress.zip

How To ::

Open ultimatebb.cgi, uncomment use strict; and use vars etc etc (lines #30 and #35) and add this:

require Modules::Compress::cgi_buffer;
import Compress::cgi_buffer
$cgi_buffer::generate_etag = 0;

immediately before your use strict; so that it looks like this:

use strict;
use Fcntl ':flock';
use UBBCGI qw(:cgi);
use UBBCGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser set_message);

use vars qw(%etc etc

That should be all you need to do, tho you may want to clear cache... smile

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 1:44 AM
Runs so much faster over here. wink
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 2:23 AM
Warning it requires Compress::Zlib which is not installed by default on most Perl-capable hosts.

q
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 2:44 AM
As stated in the article wink

All recent versions of activestate perl come with it... and if you are able to install this perl module on your server, you should be able to install the other required modules from cpan smile
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 8:41 AM
Sounds like one good mod. I'll give it a try soon. wink
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 8:55 AM
is this better than mod_gzip?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 4:35 PM
I believe they both use Compress::Zlib - performance should be comparable. I have never checked out mod_gzip because it's written for apache and I've never used an apache server.

WiLD is doing some performance testing and said he would report back his results.

ISAPI compression on a windows server is supposed to perform better than both, but takes a little more work to set up for dynamic files. We're using it for the static files here.
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 8:39 PM
quote:
Allen, where can i find httpcomp.dll??

this link http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/iis/httpcomp.asp gives me an 404 not found error frown
TIA smile
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 8:41 PM
Theoretically, it'll be the same but mod_gzip allows more tweaking (in terms of compression); this module does not (if it uses Compress::Zlib's default gzip mechanism, compression is set at 4 iirc; 1 would be best for speed purposes and CPU load).

Anyways, if you already have mod_gzip on your server and it's compressing CGI output, don't bother to install this hack; it'll just waste CPU clicks.

q

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: qasic ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 9:13 PM
quote:
Here's some more info:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q255/9/51.ASP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...chnol/iis/maintain/optimize/perflink.asp

Yes, if you've already installed some other form of compression, this would be redundant. It'd be like installing who's online twice smile
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/07/2001 9:58 PM
wow Allen this is awesome
w/o cgi_buffer.pm one thread with 2 replies generates ~17KB
with cgi_buffer.pm this same thread generates only ~3KB

thank you very much for this one Allen wink
rated [Linked Image] laugh
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 1:54 AM
I really want to use this but each time i download cgi_buffer-0.3.tgz , it opens in winzip saying corrupt error.

Am i looking at the right download here? confused
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 2:12 AM
I had the same problem... the download is trying to save it as a .tar file... be sure and save it as a .tgz file when you save it in the download. Winzip will then open it properly into a tar file and then unpack it after you've saved it to your computer.

Just a reminder this is for servers tht you are able to install perl modules on, either a dedicated server or a shared one a host doesn't mind installing perl modules for you.
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 6:24 AM
Actually, just rename the file so it ends in .tar.gz and you'll have no problems.

qasic
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 6:45 AM
n/m problem fixed. Dang! Pretty fast!

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: raiyan ]
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 8:09 AM
Code
code:
Where can I get THIS file? tipsy
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 8:31 AM
That's one of the modules mentioned that's required for using this. If you are using activestate perl, it's included. If not, I believe you can get all the modules from cpan.org
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 8:39 AM
I'm using ActiveState Perl and it's not included here tipsy

I got some versions from there, but they aren't IO::String (like Convertor::Ethiopian::String, Brute::String)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 9:12 AM
Maybe it's only the most recent version... I am using 629. Did you also install the perl package manager (PPM)?

Some links:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ASPNTOC-ACTIVEPERL-004

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ActivePerl/lib/IO.html

hmmm... maybe I have it loaded from something else... if you see where the difference is, can you report back here? You might need to get the module from cpan after all smile
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 12:10 PM
hey LK
grab it here
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/IO/IO-String-1.01.tar.gz

PS laugh ont forget to save it as .tgz
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 12:14 PM
quote:
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 12:24 PM
Nevermind, fixed it, thanks hmiguelito tipsy

Allen, I just found the source to the JavaScript problems: this hack frown

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: LK ]
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 1:01 PM
gzipped Javascript and CSS cause some browsers to behave poorly. Known issue... smash the vendors upside the head.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 6:57 PM
hmmmm... it seems to be compressing all the pages except the forum summary, as they are all 5-10kb except the forum summary which is ~68kb.
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/08/2001 7:37 PM
yes me too frown
all except ultimatebb.cgi confused
Posted By: GewGaw Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/09/2001 3:48 AM
Here's an idea for anyone who wants to try it and doesn't have root access to the server to install it.

You can create a directory in your 'Modules' directory called (lets just say) 'CGIBuffer' then copy the cgi_buffer.pm into that directory.

You can then use this code to use the cgi_buffer module:
Code
code:

I have not tested if it is actually compressing yet but there does seem to be an increase in speed when that code is used.

Let me know if it does not work and I will remove my post.

Thanks,
GewGaw

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: GewGaw ]
Posted By: GewGaw Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/09/2001 6:37 AM
quote:
That is very correct qasic! I tested the situation on two separate virtual hosting accounts with two separate ISPs and it functioned fine. This would conclude that the two ISPs were running the required modules.

Thanks for pointing it out... something I overlooked to mention.

smile
GewGaw
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/09/2001 12:37 PM
so Allen
why isnt forum front page being zipped?
Posted By: 24hdownload Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/09/2001 11:30 PM
Could this also work on UBB 6.05? Cause I hate upgrading especially after applying like 40 hacks.. smirk

And upgrading to UBB 6.1 is a too big leap for me. wink

Grtz.,
Michael
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/10/2001 12:06 AM
In theory, it should work as long as you have the required modules installed.
Posted By: 24hdownload Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/10/2001 12:10 AM
Thanks for the answer.. wink

So it would save bandwith? Even on a 6.05 board (ofcourse) with the right modules installed? wink
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/10/2001 12:24 AM
Yup.
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/10/2001 1:13 AM
testing it on my 6.05 tonight laugh wish me luck

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: Anime-loo ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/10/2001 1:24 AM
It should work on the 6.0x series, the problem might come in the coding of that series.. 6.1x code has been cleaned up tremendously and uncommenting the use strict; is no biggie.

That would be my only concern. smile
Posted By: Brad.loo Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/10/2001 1:39 AM
quote:
smile thanks for the input ^_^, we just decided to wait till next weekend to try it on the main forums tho were ganna put it on are test forums tonight and see how it works out
Posted By: Henry8th Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/11/2001 12:38 PM
quote:
hi have added this cant tell if it has worked would i get an error if it dont work ???
i dont have access to perl, im using a test board with a free host (F2S) because im shopping around for hosting smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/11/2001 2:12 PM
You should get an error if the required modules aren't installed. Right click on one of your thread pages with a few replies and see if it is ridiculously small in the 5-10kb range smile
Posted By: Henry8th Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/12/2001 12:35 PM
yeah got in touch with f2s to see if they support it and they do smile

wow its so zippy does it save bandwidth aswell smile

GREAT JOB GUYS smile
Posted By: WiLD Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/12/2001 9:21 PM
Wow , never thougt my hints would make it into THE UBBDEV-Zone smile Hope that this helps many Board-Admins and Users as well. At least, I love this hack laugh

@all: As somebody said, all pages are compressed, except the forum-overview. I dont have any Idea why this happens. Did someone find out why this might happen?

Willi
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/13/2001 7:55 AM
Haven't found out yet.. but it makes a huge difference elsewhere smile Thanks for the pointers as well. I wrote to the author to see if he might still be developing this further, haven't heard anything yet.

The next version of this will be developed to where it can be used on most any server - shared or dedicated... warnings will be issued tho regarding using this on a shared server and cpu usage.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 12:18 AM
Files and install instructions updated so that you should be able to add 3 lines of text to your ultimatebb.cgi, upload the Compress folder to your Modules directory (set permissions if necessary (Unix)) and run it.

I've only tested on one server, a win2k. This should work on most any server now, dedicated or shared, please let me know if you get error messages so we can work to include the proper modules and call them correctly.
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 12:28 AM
You can't dump Compress::Zlib as a file - it has outside dependicies which must be compiled in or PPMed in, in Windows.

qasic

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: qasic ]
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 12:47 AM
k00l Allen wink
working gr8 smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 1:20 AM
quote:
It's included pre-compiled in all recent versions of Activestate perl... do you know of some that don't have it included?
Posted By: Excellent Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 12:03 PM
Hello people,

I use ubb 6.05, and I also noticed this "hack" would work for a 6.05 board.

I downloaded the compress-zip file and I read your comments on the first page, but I don't understand it:

quote:
What do you mean with etc etc?

I'm sorry for asking, but I just want to make my board load faster.

It's on an Unix machine.

My code looks like:
quote:
in the ultimatebb.cgi file.

Some additional info would be very nice.
Or give me a little hint in the right direction. wink
Posted By: Excellent Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 12:06 PM
Nevermind... I think I understand it now... smile

I only need to add:

Probably after line #35 right?

Before or after the vars?

Thanks & sorry for asking newbie-stuff... wink
Posted By: Excellent Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 12:16 PM
Here I am again... Think I did something wrong!?

Look at this:

quote:
I did this right did I?

I get the following error:
quote:
What did I do wrong?

Using UBB 6.05
Posted By: WiLD Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 1:18 PM
1. The Patch works with UBB V6.0x very fine, I've tested it with this Versions. Using the patch with UBB V6.1x Beta works also good, Allen did this already.

2. You only have to install the cgi_buffer.pm in your Perl-Modules Directory, and the other Modules required by cgi_buffer. In the Ultimatebb.cgi, you have to comment out the Lines "use strict" and "use vars...." . Dont change anything in this Lines, just remove the "#" at the begining. Directly after the "use strict" , I added the Line "use cgi_buffer;" , that should do the Trick.

This works fine on my Linuxserver(Redhat 6.1, Perl 5.005), I never did Perl under Windows or Sun/BSD.

again: the modified Part of my ultimatebb.cgi
/////
use strict;
use cgi_buffer;
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser carpout);
use CGI qw(:cgi-lib :standard);
use vars qw(%........blablabla.......
/////

Willi D
Posted By: chenwei Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 1:40 PM
just wonder is this supported in windows IIS hosting with CGI running? confused
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 4:39 PM
Yes, it works on IIS, that's what I am testing it on.

Excellent, it seem you have added it correctly. Did you upload the .pm files in ascii? Set their permissions to 755?

I only have one server to test this on... I have signed up with a couple of free providers to test there as well.
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 5:59 PM
Any standard Perl install on UNIX will not come with Compress::Zlib automatically. I believe Hypermart for one does not have it. ActiveState actually provides it automatically though if you use their distribution or RPMs.

Best way to check is to run PerlDiver and see for yourself what Perl modules are installed.

qasic
Posted By: Excellent Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 9:06 PM
I will try again of course, maybe I did something wrong. smile

I'm going to install it the way WiLD explained, maybe that helps.

In any case, I used a perldiver like Qasic said, and came up with the following info:

• *Perl Version: 5.00503
    *Apache/1.3.19 (Unix) mod_perl/1.25 PHP/4.0.6 mod_auth_pam/1.0a mod_ssl/2.8.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6a
    *A lot of modules installed!!

In any case like Qasic said, there wasn't a module installed called: Compress::Zlib or anything likewise. smirk

If I read Qasics remarks correctly, I should download the Activestate stuff? And install it on my webaccount?

I will try to get those files from here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ASPNTOC-ACTIVEPERL-004
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Reference/Products/ActivePerl/lib/IO.html

Those where the links Alan posted.

Alan: if your interested I can make you an account on a "old" RAQ3, you can use it how long you want to test it. The server is located in Holland and has nice internet speeds. So if your interested let me know.
But of course please don't put warez/mp3/adult on it. Cause my other clients won't like that. wink
Posted By: Excellent Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/17/2001 9:22 PM
Okay listen up please:

I found the following:
ActivePerl 5.6.1.629
AS Package 9 megabyte file (ugh)

Also it says:
quote:
Does that mean I can install it without using my admin access to the main route, cause since this is only neccesary for the forum I rather not temper with the server settings. confused

Second I'm on ISDN at home, meaning slow upload and download speeds, so I rather be sure then just wasting my time on down-/uploading a 9 mb file. frown

I hope you can use this information.
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 1:39 AM
Hi, i'm having problems with this.

Whenever i put it in i get a software error or 500 error whatever.

I'm using 6.1 beta 4 on a unix server.

Here's what i have for ultimatebb.cgi

quote:
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 2:39 AM
Excellent:

From PerlDiver it looks as if you have a UNIX server so you can't use the Windows installer - you need the RPMs that work on your flavour of *nix. Better yet, get your server tech to do tha for you (install Compress::Zib).

Raiyan:

Install PerlDiver from http://www.scriptsolutions.com/ and give us a URL so we may examine what modulse you run.

qasic

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: qasic ]
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 4:44 AM
http://www.ivegeta.com/perldiver.cgi

Thanks!
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 7:26 AM
You have MD5 and Compress::Zlib installed. IO::String is included inside this package so there shouldn't be any problems. I probably suspect it's a hacking error. What's the error message inside your error log?

qasic
Posted By: Excellent Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 12:48 PM
Thanks Qasic for your info.

I've been reading some info about the mod_gzip and I decided it worth a try on one of my servers to see how it performs.

Cause what I read about it must really boost performance of websites.

Btw this program does the same as UBB Compression right? Only mod_gzip is more "tweakable", and also you preferred this, right?

In any case thanks for all the info and good support.
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 5:07 PM
If you can run mod_gzip, go for it and don't worry about cgi_buffer -
it'll be a waste of resources.

mog_gzip can compress your HTML, HTM pages as well - you specify which
file extensions should be compressed if supported and also on a browser by
browser level as well.

You can also tweak the compression setting - cgibuffer uses 4 but 1 is actually better in this circumstance because the balance between cpu time and compression is just not worth the load on your server.

Hope this helps.

q
Posted By: Brett Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/18/2001 10:48 PM
It probably was, i'll try reinstalling it when 6.1 beta 5 comes out. I think i hacked my board too far when developing the megamod hack.

But i also had that php accelerator by phillip installed, maybe that was the problem?
Posted By: Phoenix365 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/22/2001 4:04 PM
Where do I put the string.pm file. I keep it with the other file under /cgi-bin/Modules/Compress and when I try to login to ubb I get an error.... ;( I am running 6.1.0 beta 4. What am I doing wrong?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/22/2001 6:25 PM
What does the error say?
Posted By: Phoenix365 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/23/2001 2:14 AM
Open ultimatebb.cgi, uncomment use strict; and use vars etc etc (lines #30 and #35) and add this:

immediately before your use strict; so that it looks like this:

use strict;

use vars qw(%etc etc

That should be all you need to do, tho you may want to clear cache...

Here is the error.....
Software error:
Can't locate IO/String.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-bin c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binModules D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate IO/String.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-bin c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binModules D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate IO/String.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-bin c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binModules D:/Perl/lib D:/Perl/site/lib) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23. [Sat Sep 22 19:14:42 2001] c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 23. Compilation failed in require at c:inetpubwwwrootcgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 30.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/23/2001 2:16 AM
Inside the UBB Modules directory, create a folder called IO (case sensitive). Then move String.pm there.

qasic
Posted By: Phoenix365 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/23/2001 2:21 AM
YAHOO!!!! It works!!!! Thanks a lot. cool
Posted By: Black Death Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/23/2001 2:44 AM
Ok not knowing alot about perl modules I had a few questions. First off can you install activestate perl without having access to your perl dir? Second I don't have Compress::Zlib, or
mod::gzip I am on apache and I have the following Apache::GzipChain can I still get this to work on my server?
Posted By: jlaine Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/23/2001 4:15 AM
/me rips his hair out in silence...

This has me confused to date... I've fought with it to no avail- the error messages I am getting confuse me-- I'm hoping one of you guys can shed some light onto it for me... the list of returned errors is HUGE... but here is a snippet...

package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4

Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.0/MD5.pm line 22. [Sat Sep 22 22:12:09 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require.

Any suggestions would be great... thanks again...
Posted By: Splitfyre Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/26/2001 7:07 PM
Would there be any problems with Who's Online with this File Compression hack?
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/28/2001 2:39 PM
After running PerlDiver I've found one problem as all else is fine, instead of IO::String I have IO::Stringy ?

Also I've placed cgi_buffer.pm in my /cgi-bin root, although any test CGI (PRINT commands) I use returns 500 errors.

Note that I've CHMOD to 755.

Could this be anything to do with cgi_buffers weird PERL heading?
#!/usr/bin/env perl

Never seen that one before.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/28/2001 11:23 PM
Upload it in the Modules/Compress folder like it is packaged in the zip or you are gonna have to redo the call to it in ultimatebb.cgi - be sure all .pm files are uploaded in ascii as well.

Jlaine, there's a good chance you don't have all the modules installed on the server. Run perl diver and see which ones are missing. If they are all installed, you shouln't be getting any errors.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/28/2001 11:29 PM
Mark, didn't see your other question... I am not familiar with using this on unix/apache servers yet, so it is possible that path might need to be changed, tho I haven't seen it addressed anywhere. You can either change the path to match yours and try it or check the author's web site for more info.
Posted By: Dark Templar Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/29/2001 12:41 AM
This looks interesting, I just might try it out smile
Posted By: jlaine Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/29/2001 3:50 AM
quote:
Will do allen... if it doesn't work I'll be back screaming... wink
Posted By: jlaine Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/29/2001 4:58 AM
Same thing Allen... package 'vars' not registered for warnings.. etc. etc... then the Autoloader.pm line 4 comment...
I have IO::String, MD5, and Compress::Zlib installed, but I still get that failed warning.
I am on my own server so I would not have an issue installing mod_gzip, what is required to activate that program with UBB- perhaps that one would work for me... frown

*edit*
Tried to install mod_gzip, but thanks to the sparse documentation it was a unsure install- and afterward the server 'appeared' offline.

So I'd like to get this one working.. frown

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: jlaine ]
Posted By: omegatron Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/29/2001 5:30 PM
Okay Guys I cant get this thing to work on 6.05. I tried it on my test board 6.14 and I get the following error. I did everything stated here.

Software error:
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sat Sep 29 10:36:20 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.
Posted By: omegatron Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/29/2001 5:48 PM
Okay I did perdiver and these are the modules installed

IO::Stringy but I dont see any Compress or Gzip
Posted By: qasic Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/30/2001 3:06 AM
omegatron: Then get your host to install Compress::Zlib.

qasic
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 09/30/2001 9:38 PM
quote:
On the outside chance this might fix it for you JLaine, re-download the zip file again, extract it into the folders they are in the zip file: Compress, IO, and Digest and upload them to your ubbcgi/Modules directory and let me know if the error messages subside at least a little bit. smile
Posted By: Sn0pD0gG Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 1:48 AM
On the other side...are there any disadvantaged...after hearing so much positive I want to know if there is anything which could go wrong after installation.

I get script compilation error, and I think this is caused by a wrong path. My path for modules is:

/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/Compress
/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/Digest/Perl
/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/Digest
/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/Compress/IO

correct or not ?

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Sn0pD0gG ]
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 2:54 AM
I think I uploaded the cgi_buffer.pm into the wrong directory, where do I upload it to?

I get this:

Software error:
Can't locate Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at ultimatebb.cgi line 30.
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 2:59 AM
er I just uploaded the compress folder with the file.

now:

Software error:
Can't locate MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (Your Webmaster), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:00:19 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster (Your Webmaster), giving this error message and the time and date of the error. Content-type: text/html

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:00:19 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:00:19 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. [Sun Sep 30 21:00:19 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require.
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 3:16 AM
ok I got the files in place I think in the compress folder, now it only gives me this error:

Software error:

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require at Modules/MD5.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require at Modules/MD5.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require at Modules/MD5.pm line 22. [Sun Sep 30 21:16:57 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require.
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 3:16 AM
heh
correct paths are:

/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest
/cgi-bin/Modules/IO/String.pm
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 3:21 AM
you sure? cause I got this error when I did that:
Software error:
Can't locate MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:22:56 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:22:56 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:22:56 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Can't locate MD5.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. [Sun Sep 30 21:22:56 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 3:31 AM
edit cgi_buffer.pm
at line 22:

use MD5;

perhaps you should try this:

use Digest::MD5;
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 3:35 AM
yet it persists:
Software error:

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require at Modules/Digest/MD5.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require at Modules/Digest/MD5.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require at Modules/Digest/MD5.pm line 22. [Sun Sep 30 21:35:55 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require.

omg, I'm started to get tired of copy and pasting for the first time. no it didn't work, no changes in the error message I think.
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 3:48 AM
dunno whats wrong confused
i've installed Allen's UBB compression hack and Phillip's UBB accelerator and both are working gr8 at my board smile
blistering fast laugh
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 4:03 AM
I needed php support for this hack right?

edit: what does this mean?
"use Compress::Zlib;" what's zlib?

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: Teleknesis ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 9:24 AM
hmiguelito gave the correct paths... I guess I need to break down and write some better install docs wink

This one is beta, and I have no idea what .pm's you might already have installed, so it'd prolly be a good one to try on a test forum before putting up on your live site.

Try this one tele, make a directory in your Modules/Digest folder (Perl) and put a copy of the MD5.pm file in there so that it would lok something like this:

Modules/Digest/Perl/MD5.pm

That should give it the one it's looking for...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 9:26 AM
oops, forgot to answer the questions:

this one doesn't require php

zlib is the perl module used that actually does the compression.
Posted By: Sn0pD0gG Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 10:28 AM
yeah I think we should collect Questions and make a FAQ.
Posted By: Sn0pD0gG Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 10:43 AM
okay, set the right paths, but then I get something like a version dismatch I think:

Software error:
Digest::MD5 object version 2.13 does not match bootstrap parameter 2.16 at /usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/DynaLoader.pm line 188.

Software error:
Digest::MD5 object version 2.13 does not match bootstrap parameter 2.16 at Modules/Digest/Perl/MD5.pm line 16.

and below a lot of chunk data.
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 12:49 PM
Well I've installed the cgi_buffer files and such to every possible DIR so that no matter where the system looks it should find what it needs.

Despite this I now get what 'Excellent' was seeing before he gave up, a very basic single line COMPILATION error for the ultimatebb.cgi file - no other details.

My settings are as follows:

quote:
Please note that I've also tried 'use cgi_buffer;' and that just caused an 'Internal Server Error'.

PerlDiver reports that all the needed stuff is installed, although nobody will answer my previous question about what IO::Stringy is? I don't have IO::String, just Stringy?

Is this the same? Should I update paths to reflect the 'y' on the end? What do I do.

Aside from that I'm stuck, all instructions followed and previous CHMOD's and dir structures obeyed. The fact it's just a basic compilation error means I'm one step away, but where now?

PS"6.04e"
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 1:40 PM
http://search.cpan.org/
Posted By: Sn0pD0gG Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 5:06 PM
I got rid of my problem by cheating a little bit laugh laugh laugh

if someone has same problem just have a look at this file: /cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/MD5.pm
and edit following code:
Code
code:
it is exactly line 6,

to $VERSION = '2.13';

For the experienced pplz: will the whole hack be useless by changing this ? or does it solve the error and all problems by changing...I dunno, I haven't notice any speed advantaged, so I want to know? Please answer !
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 5:22 PM
Well CPAN search explained String vs Stringy, not that it helps since I'm past the 'software' error part and the modules must be loading, it's just UBB6.04e refuses to compile (see above error).

Any help? Anybody come accross this and get it solved?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 5:44 PM
MD5 is a perl module for encryption, I am not sure if changing the version # will make any difference in performance in this. The best way to check (providing you aren't getting any errors now) is to load your site and see what size a good-sized downloaded page is (in IE, right-click on a thread's page and select "properties", it should be a very small 5-12kb or so file).

Mark smile Try moving the first 3 line below the use strict; I am grasping at straws here since I can't actually see what's going on. smile Do you also have String.pm in a Modules/IO (case sensitive) directory?

Be sure you have set permissions on the directories and .pm's so they can be read as well smile

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: AllenAyres ]
Posted By: Sn0pD0gG Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 6:18 PM
Yes I think it works. But in comparing to the original one there are 100 bytes less, not more, it's not very much isnt it ?
Without Hack: 7172 bytes
With Hack: 7074 bytes

= 98 bytes less

I do not think it's worth to install the hack, right ?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 6:40 PM
That's odd.. it's usually more like 80-120kb before, 5-12kb after... is most all pages like that?
Posted By: jlaine Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 8:55 PM
:
Heading there to try it Allen- I am getting the same errors that omegatron and others are with the 'vars not registered for warnings' then the failure of autoloader.pm, etc...
Going to redownload now and see what happens...
Posted By: jlaine Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 10:01 PM
Still getting the same errors on my end...

Software error:

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4.

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require.

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.0/MD5.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.0/MD5.pm line 22. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22.

Software error:
[Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: package 'vars' not registered for warnings at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4 [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/AutoLoader.pm line 4. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.0/MD5.pm line 22. [Tue Oct 2 00:01:35 2001] ultimatebb.cgi: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 22. Compilation failed in require.
For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([email protected]), giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/01/2001 11:22 PM
Which version UBB are you running? It may be that your version isn't running cleanly under "use strict;"
Posted By: Sn0pD0gG Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 12:00 AM
These values are taken from your suggested method: IE - File - Properties, I compared the displayed values, those one I mentioned above.
I think you mean that mathod or did I compared the wrong values?
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 12:13 AM
is it maybe because I upgraded from ubb 6.05? btw I'm doing this on a test board. I getting the same errors as the others, vars not registered for warnings. frown
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 12:53 AM
wow Allen
damn thing works with 5.x UBB versions eek
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 12:59 AM
disregard my previous question, I just tried it on another 1.4 board that was freashly installed and not upgraded, and it got the same error. Can some one give me the EXACT directions for the thing? the one in the front is a bit confusing..
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 1:50 AM
hmiguelito laugh I think you are irritating the others who haven't got it working on one version yet laugh

tele, upload the files in the zip into their respective folders in the Modules directory.

Modules/Compress
Modules/IO
Modules/Digest
Modules/Digest/Perl

In ultimatebb.cgi uncomment "use strict;" and "use vars" and add these lines to it so that it looks like this:

use strict;

use vars

If it doesn't work after this, it is possible you still don't have all the modules installed, or you have them in binary, or you have permissions set to where they can't be read.
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 1:56 AM
alright, do you mean I have to have a seperate "digest" folder for "perl"? I'm sorry if I'm frustrating to you. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 1:58 AM
smile

Add a "Perl" directory to your "Digest" Directory... the pm's are looking for MD5 in both the Digest and the Perl folders.
Posted By: hmiguelito Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 2:07 AM
quote:
oops sorry laugh

this is what it looks like at my server:

/cgi-bin/Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm

/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/HMAC.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/HMAC_MD5.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/HMAC_SHA1.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/MD2.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/MD5.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/SHA1.pm.

/cgi-bin/Modules/Digest/Perl/MD5.pm

/cgi-bin/Modules/IO/String.pm

/cgi-bin/Modules/MIME/Lite.pm

/cgi-bin/Modules/Net/Cmd.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/Net/Config.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/SMTP.pm

/cgi-bin/Modules/UBBCGI/Carp.pm
/cgi-bin/Modules/UBBCGI/Cookie.pm

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: hmiguelito ]
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 2:50 AM
Allen, um when I went to ultimatebb.cgi for the first time before I even touched the web browser to view it, the use srtict was already uncommented, is it suppose to be like that?

edit: they still don't work..

[ 10-01-2001: Message edited by: Teleknesis ]
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 3:33 AM
they are uncommented in the newer beta's... I had that in there for those running on the little older 6.0x series...

This is simple to install and it's possible that your server either doesn't have the proper modules installed, or that maybe there's some type of compression already running and messing this one up.

To test that, go to this page: http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php - input a url to a file on your site and see what the results are. smile
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 3:49 AM
um I don't know about you, but I'm on dial-up and that url is taking forever. um while I'm waiting, what does it do?
Posted By: jlaine Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 8:23 AM
I've noted no issues with strict to date-- I can't see the server having any problems with it as it has had no past issues to my knowledge...
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 8:29 AM
If your install is correct and you are still having problems, then it would have to mean that the correct perl modules are not compiled on your server. It works for hmiguelito on all his sites because the pm's are installed, for others the same.

Run perl diver, if you are missing one of the perl modules, please ask your web host providor to install those missing. It's a simple process and doesn't degrade performance.
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 11:54 AM
Allen:

quote:
You need to work on those instructions =), where would I move them to?

Sadly I just don't think this is going to work and yes string.pm is copied multiple times in every single possible DIR (yes used ASCII and 755) mentioned through these threads - no go.

My PerlDiver is here:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

IO:String is all I miss from the server itself, but the compilation error I get suggests that its moved past calling the scripts and just can't compile it all into an active state.
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 11:05 PM
what modules would those be? I'll ask the server person to install it, or I'll use my other server hoster person. tipsy
Posted By: Telekinesis Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/02/2001 11:11 PM
I installed it on the NT server my other test board was on, and it's ok. I dunno if it worked or not because it seemed normal but I haven't used that test board a for awhile, except for the upgrade and I don't know about the speed variation..

edit: sorry it was suppose to be "NT" instead of NET

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Teleknesis ]
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/04/2001 1:13 PM
For the record I don't think this likes one of the hacks in v6.04e. No idea which.

quote:
I say this because I just installed a v6.1B2 test board and used EXACTLY the same settings and it worked, but not on v6.04e (has lots of hacks installed).

I also tried using the new 6.1B2 call modules command at the top of ultimatebb.cgi and it still gave the same error. Clearly one of the hacks is causing problems, either that or it just won't work with v6.04e.
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/04/2001 1:29 PM
Hold on a second, when you do get it working, how do you know it's saving any bandwidth?

The before and after 'SOURCE' (Using IE - View Source command and save the file) files, even on forums supposedly using it with sucess (https://www.ubbdev.com/test/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi) are identical to those without it.

I heard somebody say that the system works by compressing a file when it's called and then uncompressing it on the persons system (once it's streamed I assume?).

Thus how do you know whether you've saved any bandwidth or not, people keep saying thinks like, "My 15K file went to 8K", etc., but how do you know? How do you test? Where's the physical proof this actually works? Help =).
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/04/2001 4:38 PM
right-click on the page and click on "properties" - it will tell you how large the file is... if you are on a thread with 3-4 replies and it says the file size is 7kb, then you know you are saving a good bit of bandwidth smile
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/05/2001 11:23 AM
Seems to work, now all I have to do is re-add all the hacks into my test board. Could be diffecult since the code has changed quite dramatically for PB2, I hope some of the authors see that.

If along the way I discover what hack causes the compilation errors then I'll mention that. Thankfully this means I don't need the UBB Accelerator enabled and so WOL etc. will work =).
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/12/2001 5:38 PM
SERIOUS BUG,

Have any of you tried to close a thread with compression enabled, give it a try! All you get is the compressed data output:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=close_topic&t=000011&f=1
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/12/2001 9:58 PM
topics close and reopen fine for me. this is very sweet. excluding the main forum summary, i have no pages over 8k. whereas before i had no pages under 50k, and most were around 70-80k!
nice work on figuring this one out guys! laugh
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/13/2001 11:28 AM
Then it must somehow be related to one of the hacks I've installed, I'll install a flat UBB6.1 and see if it still happens and then go from there.
Posted By: Asendin Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/17/2001 7:52 PM
i get a @INC Cannot locate Compress/Zlib.pm and that is not even a required module, anyone else get this error??

and i ran http://www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

and compress::Zlib is installed on my server..

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Asendin ]
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/22/2001 2:44 AM
I'm getting the following errors on a 6.05 board, and they all point to the vars_wordlets_mod WOL.

Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 346.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 359.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 359.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 365.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 365.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 371.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 492.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 504.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 504.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 511.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 511.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 684.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 684.
Global symbol "%vars_wordlets_mods" requires explicit package name at f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi line 691.
Execution of f:inetpubwwwrootnetsitecgi-binultimatebb.cgi aborted due to compilation errors.

For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/22/2001 6:19 PM
Hmm it seems the problem I had with compression re-surfaced under v6.1 FINAL, yet it's RANDOM and doesn't always show.

On another note, does anyone have any physical server logs showing proof that it saves bandwidth.

I compared one day with it enabled (obviously was through the usual testing) and another without (similar pageviews and visitors) and the bandwidth consumption barely shifted a single percent. My site is 70% forum related and so it should have at least been 30% less.

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: mark99 ]
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/22/2001 11:55 PM
Qasic, do have any ideas as to why the WOL wordlets are generating the errors I listed above?
Posted By: svr Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/25/2001 4:55 PM
Can you guys please release a version of this hack that works for UBB 5.47e unix? wink
Posted By: svr Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/25/2001 5:00 PM
BTW is there any way to check if the ZLIB module (or program ...) is installed on my unix server without downloading/installing 6.1 ubb ??? Thanks again.
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/25/2001 10:09 PM
is there a way to get this to work, without haveing to install the IO:String module, I was wondering if there was a way I could get it to work while I wait on my hosting company to install the module.

I placed IO:String stuff in the cgi directory like everyone else, but I get errors. If there is no way around this then I'll just wait for my hosts to install it.
Posted By: CtrlAltDel Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/25/2001 10:27 PM
quote:
http://www.scriptsolutions.com/
download perl diver

check that to see if the required modules are installed
Posted By: lg Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/25/2001 11:18 PM
when will this go out for 6.1 release?
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/26/2001 11:59 AM
It's not a typical mod or hack, it's generic.

From my experiance it'll run fine with PB1.4 to UBB6.1.1, although be careful of heavily hacked v6.0x forums.
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/27/2001 7:06 PM
Can someone have a look at this and tell me what's missing on my IIS 5.0 server?

http://www.netwerkin.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi
Posted By: DJSharp Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/31/2001 12:33 AM
can someone make this hack a lil easier to understand? maybe im just slow but it doesnt make sense to me on how im supposed to install it. and i dont even know where the files are supposed to be uploaded? so if somebody could make it easier, id appreciate it smile
Posted By: Ramirez Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/31/2001 12:40 AM
The folders go in your Mods directory in your cgi-bin directory. The rest of the instructions are in the first post of the thread. It's really simple.

On a side note, however, I had to delete the Digest folder. While it was there it kept giving me wacky errors, and it works great without the Digest folder, so I don't know what's up with that.
Posted By: DJSharp Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/31/2001 12:57 AM
i decided to try it & im getting this error...

Can't locate Compress/Zlib.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./Modules . /home/sites/site69/web/cgi-bin /home/sites/site69/web/cgi-bin/Modules /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at Modules/Compress/cgi_buffer.pm line 24.

where am i supposed to get Zlib.pm? cuz its not with the files.

i got this perldiver thing if that will help somebody give me an answer on why its not working: http://www.djsharp.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: DJSharp ]
Posted By: DJSharp Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/31/2001 8:41 AM
i guess i have to just remove it for now since nobodys responding.......
Posted By: DJSharp Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 10/31/2001 11:49 PM
plleeeeeeeeasssse help...

this is how mine looks...is everything right? what needs to be changed?

use strict;
use UBBCGI qw(:cgi); # CGIPath/Modules/UBBCGI.pm
use vars qw(%vars_whos_online @Ell_cookie $invisible_pref @people);
use vars qw(%vars_wordlets_mods); # CGIPath/Modules/UBBCGI/Carp.pm
use vars qw($new_pms);
Posted By: DJSharp Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/01/2001 10:09 PM
damn, whats it take to get help in here? ima just start emailing all yall pretty soon.
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/01/2001 10:21 PM
I got it to work, and this might be useful info for people running a UBB on IIS.
I had to add a line to ultimatebb.cgi so now i have this...

#use strict;
use lib qw(e:/inetpub/wwwroot/netwerkin/cgi-bin/modules);
require Compress::cgi_buffer;

By adding the "use lib qw" I changed the @inc path and now it works great.
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/05/2001 7:44 AM
Now that I have my board running on 6.1.0.2 on IIS, I can't get this to work again. I'm getting the can't locate loadable blah blah.

I've noticed that the first few lines of ultimatebb.cgi are different and seem to be setting up the modules directory. Are there any changes to the instructions that will make it find Digest::MD5 since it is in the right folder and perldiver says it's there?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/05/2001 8:55 AM
I haven't tried this one yet since 6.1 release either. I'll load it on a test board and see how it runs - we're on win2k/iis5 as well.

dj, post your perldiver file again and I'll look at it.
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/05/2001 3:44 PM
http://www.netwerkin.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

I had used a "use lib qw(e"/real/path/to/modules)" as the first line in 6.05 to get my hosted server to work, but now I get the same error I got without it before, almost like something else is causing that module to not be loaded properly.
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/06/2001 6:18 PM
Whenever I find a combination that looks promising I get an error saying that UBBCGI.pm can't be located...grrrrrr
Posted By: DJSharp Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/07/2001 12:00 AM
quote:
http://www.street-stylez.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

i could REALLY use this hack right now, cuz my board is going Xtremely slooooow right now. i might be willing to PAY somebody to install this hack if I cant do it myself.
Posted By: Kydd Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/19/2001 6:24 PM
I see that in 6.1.0.3, in ultimatebb.cgi "use strict"and "use vars" in lines 30 and 35 are already uncommented. Will this cause any problems adding this hack? Also, I've read that this will save bandwidth and increase page download times but our concern is CPU useage which (from what I've researched) increases by using this hack. In that case, would it be recommended to NOT use this hack?
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/20/2001 7:10 AM
It does increase CPU utilization, but it is a good trade off if you are looking to conserve bandwidth and have a lot of members on modems.
Posted By: Kydd Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/20/2001 5:05 PM
Our problem is the opposite. We have plenty of bandwidth but our CPU usage is too high. At times, a "Top" can creep into double digits, i.e., 10, 11...so I don't think this would be a worthwhile solution for us. Best thing that helped so far was enabling PHP/UBB Accelerator in "unsafe mode" so it takes advantage of that ZLIB compression...
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 11/21/2001 3:08 AM
I have to have my who's online stable so the PHP is not an option for me right now.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/08/2001 9:02 AM
quote:
looks like everything is there... I'll need to read through here and see what kinda problems you are having.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/08/2001 9:06 AM
quote:
You are missing the Compress::zlib module... it is possible to include the IO::String you are missing as well, but you gotta have the zlib module installed on your server.... talk to your host about it.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/08/2001 9:09 AM
OK, I'll install this on our test board and see what needs to be done. We already have all the modules installed except for cgi_buffer, so your mileage may vary.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/08/2001 9:21 AM
OK. it has been installed on the test board without problems...

https://www.ubbdev.com/test/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

I put the code:

immediately above this:

BEGIN { # get our modules directory set up

Uploaded the modules we included with the zip, and we're off! To test it, check the properties of any .cgi page there except the forum summary (it doesn't work there for some reason). I may install it here as it seems to work fine with the accelerator.
Posted By: mark99 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/08/2001 1:00 PM
Any external and dynamic SSI output from the forum like that doesn't go around the compression and so outputs compressed data.

In case you're wondering the UBBNews (cached pages get saved and exported) and Latest Threads (when saved to HTML file) scripts still work with SSI.

Until Tovok7 adds 'Save To File' support then there's not much you can do.
Posted By: V00D00 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/08/2001 1:31 PM
eh, crapola...

Thanks!
Posted By: eXtremeTim Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/10/2001 4:42 AM
alright this hack speeds up the loading of my board but it isn't compressing. In like in one topic page at 33k non compress is still at 33 kb when compressed i used that test link to see if your pages are gziped and it said no then with it installed it said yes. The page should have been like 4k it said when compressed.
Posted By: actfact Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 12/10/2001 6:37 PM
maybe i don't understand how this works, but..does it actually make a difference? cause the data has to be decompressed right? and this doesn't happen on the client side, does it?

any insight is appreciated.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 03/07/2002 6:59 PM
Works fine with 6.2.1, and you don't even need to comment anything! smile

BTW, http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ubbdev.com%2Fubbcgi%2Fultima tebb.cgi - UBBDev is huge comparing to #9, you should use it smile

That's how I got it to work with SHTML:
[code][/code]
Posted By: generalm10 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 03/10/2002 12:17 PM
im getting an error that my "version of perl" is too old... is there anything I can do about this or is it something I need my host to look at?
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 03/25/2002 7:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
OK. it has been installed on the test board without problems...

https://www.ubbdev.com/test/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

I put the code:

immediately above this:

BEGIN { # get our modules directory set up

Uploaded the modules we included with the zip, and we're off! smile To test it, check the properties of any .cgi page there except the forum summary (it doesn't work there for some reason). I may install it here as it seems to work fine with the accelerator.

Okay ... I have two stooooooopid questions laugh

1. Where Allen say to place the code in this example is different from the first post in this thread; should the code go above the begin or the use strict?

2. Where do I load those files from the zip? Or do I just upload the entire file called "Compress"?

Hey, I said they were stoooooopid questions! laugh

Okay, I decided to test it on my test site, and no matter where I put the code, I get errors galore when I try to run the board. eek

I installed the perldiver file; it seems as if I have that one compressed file--Compress::Zlib (I am absolutely clueless about this stuff--even moreso than with the UBB code--if that's possible! tipsy )

Here's that link --> http://adwoff.com/cgi-bin/perldiver.cgi

I left the test board open with all the error messages there in their glory! laugh

It's at http://adwoff.com/ubb-test/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Any idea of what I need to do--or maybe I should ask first--can I need to do what needs to be done?

As always, thanks a ton!
Posted By: ADWOFF Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 03/25/2002 8:05 AM
Never mind! I think I have it figured out! laugh
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 03/25/2002 9:10 AM
http://leknor.com/code/gziped.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fadwoff.com%2Fubb-test%2Fcgi%2Fultimatebb.cgi - 5599 instead of 41678 smile
Posted By: Johnathan Lau Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 04/03/2002 1:03 PM
I got this....

[code][/code]
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 04/04/2002 11:30 PM
I also got it in another server I tried it on, I don't think it works with Apache without a certian module or something like that
Posted By: Johnathan Lau Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 04/19/2002 4:56 AM
So.....what modules are missing...?
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 04/19/2002 12:01 PM
Don't ask me tipsy
Posted By: Johnathan Lau Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 04/19/2002 8:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
Don't ask me tipsy

:rolleyes:
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 07/15/2002 7:05 PM
i have deleted my zlib.pm file accidentially..
can someone mail that to me in an archive format please???
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 07/16/2002 9:15 AM
zlip.pm, is that a file from the Compressor? Just download it again.
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 07/16/2002 5:14 PM
doh..
found it.. but now it asks for other files..

what if run my ubb from hypermart?!?
does it have the Compressor::Zlib installed?
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 07/16/2002 5:27 PM
AFAIK, this script only works on Windows servers, and Hypermart uses Linux.

But.. why would you use UBB on Hypermart? You should get a decent host or host it yourself, both are faster than hypermart tipsy
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: [6.1x] UBB File Compression PB 2 - 07/17/2002 9:16 AM
Hypermart is bad, don't use them. Get something with no ads when you buy it. Not have to pay more once you buy it. How lame.
© UBB.Developers