UBB.Dev
Posted By: jordo [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/09/2002 9:45 PM
This integrates a htaccess password popup with your board. Members will be able to enter their login/password for the board into the htaccess to gain access. When their password is changed on the board, their htaccess password will automatically be changed as well. You can turn it on or off from the cp, as well as enable/disable a registration login/pass so people can register.

This is beta because I am not sure i have pinned down all the places/ways a member's password can be changed.

http://www.jordodesigns.com/UBBhtaccess.zip
Posted By: the_wiz Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/09/2002 9:49 PM
cool I will be adding this tonight

Thanks
Posted By: RandyM Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/09/2002 10:00 PM
I assume this only works on unix servers?
Posted By: mrnewbie Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/09/2002 10:15 PM
cool gonna install this l8r
Posted By: maurice Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/09/2002 10:57 PM
Very COOL gonna install it asap
Posted By: Burak Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/09/2002 11:53 PM
change .htpasswd to htpasswd.cgi for security. most of the servers will give this file unless it is protected. if you name it .cgi, most of the servers will generate an error message...

.htaccess is a standard name but htpasswd not. the password file's name can be anything.

Also, you can write

Code
[/code]

as

[code]

Posted By: Killer Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 12:58 AM
hmmm

i dont understand

What do you do with this hack ?

the htaccess = login member ?

euh ?
Posted By: LK Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 2:49 PM
It requests the username + password to access the CGI-BIN dir, which includes ultimatebb.cgi and cp.cgi.

Nice hack, too bad I have a WinNT server.
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 8:17 PM
did this work out?

'cos mine didn't
i couldn't login using my username and password.

and i think that the encoded password is wrong also. how can i fix this?
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 9:26 PM
jeologic - can you crack that encryption? smile

SubZero5 - what type of server are you using? also, make sure that the path you have set in your board configuration is the absolute path, not a relative path. on some servers you can run a ubb using a relative path in there, but this hack will not work if you have a relative path in your config.
Posted By: Charles Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 9:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jordo:

Jordo please check that http://www.webextractions.f2s.com/cgi-bin/makepass/password.cgi and tell me what you think, is the same system that you use ? (the script can be downloaded)

-Chuck
Posted By: Burak Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 9:46 PM
quote:

crypt() is a one way system for now. but you can not guarantee the future secure your system and you'll not have a headache...
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 9:48 PM
its similar, minescule differences. i was asking seriously, can you crack this encryption. im unfamiliar with what the crypt() routine uses.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/10/2002 10:17 PM
crypt() has been in use in Unix systems for decades.

It's secure.
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/11/2002 7:51 PM
quote:
SubZero5 - what type of server are you using? also, make sure that the path you have set in your board configuration is the absolute path, not a relative path. on some servers you can run a ubb using a relative path in there, but this hack will not work if you have a relative path in your config.

at my testing system: Win2kProf & apache 1.3.20 (win32)(server is on Fat32) with mod_perl/1.25_01-dev, mod_ssl/2.8.4, openssl/0.9.6a, php 4.1.1

the password file wasn't found it said. in the server logs...

and at hypermart 's server.. i couldn 't login..

[ 01-11-2002 11:53 AM: Message edited by: SubZero5 ]
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/11/2002 8:54 PM
found a bug..
found a bug..

if the $vars_config{BBName} sontains spaces, the .htaccess file doesn't work. gives a http 500 error (o similar thing like that..)

this is what apache gives me via its logs..:
quote:
.htaccess: AuthName takes one argument, The authentication realm (e.g. "Members Only")
-=> to fix this

* open cp_lib.cgi and find..:

$handle->print("AuthName $vars_config{BBName}n");

* replace it with..:

$handle->print("AuthName "$vars_config{BBName}"n");

[ 01-11-2002 01:04 PM: Message edited by: SubZero5 ]
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/11/2002 9:33 PM
hmm i had fixed that one in the instructions, just hadnt put them back in the zip, doh. fixed in the zip now.

on your hypermart server you will need the absolute path set in your bb config, if you are getting failed pass msgs then you have a relative path set.
Posted By: Arganot66 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/12/2002 12:24 AM
the hack work i have ni error

But if i clic on CANCER many time i can post an see topic and forum

Its normal ?
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/12/2002 12:42 AM
that is not normal. clicking cancel or entering an incorrect pass 3 times should direct you to an access denied page. it sounds like your server is setup incorrectly, so i would suggest contacting your hosting company if you are on a hosted solution.
Posted By: Arganot66 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/12/2002 1:28 AM
hmmmm

the hack create a .htaccess ??
Posted By: swipecard72 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/12/2002 9:15 PM
so i am a little confused here!! yet again lol

does this hack work with win2k servers???

cos if it does why won't the pop-up window appear????

[ 01-12-2002 01:16 PM: Message edited by: swipecard72 ]
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/12/2002 10:08 PM
this hack works on apache only (though there may be additions to other servers to add htaccess). that said im not sure how well htaccess works on win32 apache, but it doesnt work on IIS or any other servers than apache.
Posted By: swipecard72 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/13/2002 2:56 PM
so is it posible to get httaccess for win2k servers and omnihttp as i am hosting on my own server
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/14/2002 3:37 AM
im not entirely sure, but i doubt it...
Posted By: Lord Dexter Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/14/2002 7:21 AM
Nice hack Jordo, I'll try it later.
Posted By: Arganot66 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/15/2002 2:38 AM
hmmm

i reinstall the hack 3x and i have no error

I delete also tempory file internet and cookies
But when i come to login the htaccess show me a window and i clic on cancer many time and the page load

the file .htaccess is on cgi-bin directory
the file .htpasswd is on cgi-bin/Members directory

someone have same error of me ???
Posted By: Variables Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/18/2002 9:59 PM
I get this:

Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:294 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::tracer
Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:382 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::_open
Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:67 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::_open_file
Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandler.cgi:116 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::new
Backtrace: cp_lib.cgi:1110 -> sub UBB::FileHandler: shocked
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/19/2002 12:54 AM
Variables - if you have a vars_htaccess.cgi in that dir make sure it is chmodded correctly (777) if not upload a blank file and chmod it.
Posted By: Variables Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/19/2002 2:32 AM
No, the same problem. chmod 777 on a blanc vars_htaccess.cgi
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/22/2002 5:50 AM
this is what my htaccess file looks like at hypermart..:[code][/code]and no it doesn't accept my password.

ps: i have members that have spaces in their login names. can it still be a problem if they try to log in?

[ 01-21-2002 09:56 PM: Message edited by: SubZero5 ]
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/22/2002 8:06 AM
on hypermart you need the real absolute path, some things like ubb will run with the relative paths, but the full path is something like /data1/hypermart.net/yourusername/
Posted By: SubZero5 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/23/2002 6:28 PM
thanks for the help laugh

by the way some of my members have spaces in their login names. will this affect their logins? will they have problems when they want to login?

and an addition..:
i would like to make people to login to my board via that login and password box. is it possible?

[ 01-23-2002 11:50 AM: Message edited by: SubZero5 ]
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/23/2002 10:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SubZero5:
by the way some of my members have spaces in their login names. will this affect their logins? will they have problems when they want to login?

and an addition..:
i would like to make people to login to my board via that login and password box. is it possible?

spaces in names are fine. im not sure what you mean by the second question... do you mean have the htaccess log them into the board as well? if that is what you mean, then no, it cant work like that.
Posted By: y2kmp3 Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 01/26/2002 8:45 PM
dear jordo,

i am unable to download your file ubbhtaccess.zip. do you have another url/ftp address?

also, my website requires the user to enter FIRST a member only area by entering their password into the popup controlled by htaccess, then enter the UBB SECOND. so i need the UBB login to accept the password from htaccess, not htaccess to accept the UBB login. will your proggy do this?

many thanks for help!
Posted By: clive Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/07/2002 1:17 PM
does it work without modifications for ubb 6.2.1 ??

thx in advance wink
Posted By: clive Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/08/2002 8:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clive:
does it work without modifications for ubb 6.2.1 ??

thx in advance wink

anyone?? confused
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/08/2002 10:42 PM
it does on 6.2.0 so it should on 6.2.1...
Posted By: stardaug Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/09/2002 4:58 AM
Let me put a bit of a spin on this hack and ask this question: Can this hack be used to control access to HTML pages =other= than UBB? For example, my board is open for general viewing. I want to create pages for graphics tutorials for my members only. Can I use the hack to allow access to these pages for members only? What I ultimately want is for the member to type in their UBB L/P into the htaccess popup and then be directed to the appropriate tutorial page. (which would not even be a part of UBB)
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/09/2002 6:17 AM
this puts a .htaccess file in the non-cgi directory, so any files in that directory will be protected by the htaccess password popup. that includes any html pages in that dir.
Posted By: stardaug Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/09/2002 4:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, sir! I'm going to give it a whirl. smile
Posted By: stardaug Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/09/2002 8:29 PM
quote:
this puts a .htaccess file in the non-cgi directory, so any files in that directory will be protected by the htaccess password popup. that includes any html pages in that dir.

Okay, I have the hack installed and it seems to be working. However, I did have to manually create the vars_htaccess.cgi file to get it to work. You may want to consider adding that to your instructions. So, with that said, here's what I am ultimately trying to do. I do not want the CGI-BIN or UBB directories protected. I want to see if I can protect another directory on my site using the UBB membership database. I want to create separate tutorial and file download pages for members only. Got any ideas? Where might I edit the hack to point the protection at a different directory?

thanks in advance!
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/10/2002 12:56 AM
in the additions made to cp_lib.cgi you will find this:

Code
[/code]replace it with this (and change the "/path/to/protected/dir" to the dir you want to protect:

[code]
Posted By: stardaug Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/10/2002 4:24 AM
Sweet! It seems to be working perfectly so far. Thanks for your help!
Posted By: qgeek Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/29/2002 3:47 AM
Jordo, laugh This is a beautiful, beautiful thing!!!

I've been using a really old htaccess hack that was starting to fall apart.
I've been afraid to upgrade my board because upgrading to 6.0 almost made my brain explode.

There are many people looking for a way to use the ubb registration info to protect their site and this hack does exactly that. I added an htgroup file and a few other htaccess files that all point to htpasswd and so far so great!

Out of curiosity, do you have any hints on how to make htaccess check the ubb cookie?

Have I mentioned how great this is?
thank you,
-i
Posted By: jordo Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/29/2002 8:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by qgeek:
Out of curiosity, do you have any hints on how to make htaccess check the ubb cookie?

how do you mean?
Posted By: qgeek Re: [6.1x] UBBhtaccess - 03/29/2002 9:37 PM
I would love to be able to check to see if a cookie exists and if it doesn't, send users to a page with a registration link and an "I forgot my password" link (because if it's not saved they won't remember it wink )

If the cookie does exist I need to pull out the username/password so htaccess can determine what group a user is in.

My problem seems to be not so much reading ubb cookies as passing that info to htaccess.
© UBB.Developers