UBB.Dev
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 02/21/2002 7:33 PM
Hello again!

I've got a tool here that some people may find useful. I run a mailing list and a UBB, and I've written a script to turn one of my forums into a mailing list archive.

This is done by feeding all list e-mail into my script (all done by standard sendmail aliases: mailing-list-address: "|/home/you/www/cgi-bin/ubb_archive.cgi"). The script simply pulls out the important bits, and posts them to the forum.

I created a special user and forum, and made the user the moderator of the new forum. Then I set the forum so that only moderators can post or reply, to keep people from responding to automated posts. It seems to be working fairly well so far. If you want to check it out, my site is http://Forums.Army.ca , and the forum is The Canadian Army Mailing List (hidden in last cat).

You can download the tool at http://Perl.Bobbitt.ca/ubb_archive . If you

Note: It doesn't handle MIME encoded messages very well at the moment.

If you have any comments, suggestions or feedback, just let me know.

Cheers
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 02/21/2002 10:30 PM
Looks cool Mike, this has been requested numerous times laugh
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 03/25/2002 6:48 PM
How does this handle bounced emails? I can envision many many emails going to the forum owner smile
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 03/25/2002 7:38 PM
Good question. In basic terms, the script simply posts everything that is sent to a specified address. So if bounced messages are sent to the list, they'll be posted too.

But a properly configured mailing list should have bounces going to the list owner already (not the list itself) so it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 03/28/2002 12:16 AM
ok, cool - shouldn't be a big problem then.

Each email is posted as a seperate thread... what happens if someone replies to a thread in that forum? does it go to the list, or is treated as a regular reply?

www.oscommerce.com has their own handspun forum that is both mailing list and forum, you can reply either within the thread or by email, with threads remaining intact. It's pretty slow tho...
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 03/28/2002 12:35 AM
Hey that sound pretty cool. Mine is quite basic. Replies to the UBB thread go nowhere (on my board, I have replies disabled). Also, replies to the e-mail thread are simply added as a new UBB topic. Pretty simplistic, but it works for me. smile

Cheers
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 04/25/2002 5:40 PM
Ok, V1.1 is now available...

This version handles MIME messages better, and cuts out a lot of the "clutter" to make things easier to read.

Still a long way to go though... smile

http://Perl.Army.ca/ubb_archive
Posted By: darkm00n Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 05/02/2002 10:25 PM
404... page not found... file can't be downloaded..
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 05/03/2002 3:21 AM
Doh! Hopefully my coding is better than my web design. wink

Fixed...
Posted By: Eric Flyxe Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 11/09/2003 6:49 PM
Anyone using this script with ÙBB-version 6.6.0?
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 11/09/2003 6:54 PM
I did for a while...

Edit: In fact, I just tested it with 6.7.0 (Beta) and it works.

If you're Eric (or Peter) then it looks like it's not working on your site because you require users to log in first.

Unfortunately, UBB Archive only appears to work for "public" sites, where anyone can view posts...

It's possible that the "Require Users to Log In Before Posting" setting may also be causing this. (You have to have this option unchecked...)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 06/08/2004 8:03 AM
Was just checking your site and noticed you had updated it in January, good to know it works with 6.7 smile
Posted By: Mike Bobbitt Re: [6.1x] UBB Mailing List Archive - 06/08/2004 1:51 PM
Yep, I plan to keep it up to date with the latest releases. smile
© UBB.Developers