UBB.Dev
Modification Name: UBBNews 2.3a
Description: Allows you to use SSI to post news via a forum.
Whats to Come?
Whatever you want. Post some suggestions here.
Changes since 2.2.2: Bug Fixes, major, template fixes and tweaks. Version 3 is in devel and will be coming soon. Upload ubbnews.cgi and public_ubbnews.pl

Updated 4-28-2002

Only update if you're having problems with STYLES from version 2.3.
Download Now

This modification is no longer maintained by Greg Hard and will only be updated when 6.4 is released, partly as a new hack to expand functionality.
Grazi, will give it a shot smile

Suggestion, a drop-down for posting icons/avatars in the announcements forum, something like slash-dot does....
Good idea, and simple too. smile
Thanks dubba A.
The graemlins aren't working for me.

http://www.ivegeta.com/

I only modified the output of public_ubbnews.pl and that's it.
Uh, make sure you uploaded public_ubbnews.pl and that base href is still there.
where do i edit the base href?
Most everything works great. Exept when I attempted to post a numbered list.

It removed the numbers and replaced them with regular bullets.
quote:
Originally posted by Casper:
Most everything works great. Exept when I attempted to post a numbered list.

It removed the numbers and replaced them with regular bullets.

I take that back. It is happening on all my lists. It is also changeing the colors of the list.
Ok, I've never worked with SSI calls before. I've installed the news hack and the control panel portion is working. Now, how do I get it to call the file up when the board loads??

Never mind, I figured it out. Only, I had to change the ssi call to this:

The install docs had it as follows:

Without the slash in front of the 'cgi-bin' portion it would not run...????
base href is in public_ubbnews and is there already. Reupload it and clear the cache.

I dont know about the lists. Let me check.
Found it! Guess i accidentally pasted over it without looking shocked

Vielen Dank!!
Zip file has been updated. This fixed its inability to use strict, and some fixes for problems when updating the ubb, the main page goes blank sometimes. This may fix that.

I want template submissions! If you can make some email me, [email protected]. You'll get credit. Thanks!
quote:
I take that back. It is happening on all my lists. It is also changeing the colors of the list.
I found it. A style sheet has a definition of the colors for lists. Oops. frown
I have it up and running, however, it's not updating the messages when you reload the page. It hasn't put up any new messages since Friday, the 1st. I even recreated the news file and it still will not grab any messages newer than 2/1/02...?????
Ok, an update. Completely redid everything and it's working fine now. Great Hack! It's picking up the new messages as they are posted, etc. laugh
bump...
Wahhh! The news hack changed premissions on some cache files, and now i'm locked out of all of the fourms that were cached there!!

quote:
Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open 'C:/WWW/Sipahigil/josh/ubb/ubb/cache-VWNEKCVR/ubb_files/forums/Forum3/000002.cgi'.

Permission was denied - please ask the administrator to check the permissions on that file/directory!

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
Permission denied

Here is the backtrace:

Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:301 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::tracer
Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:393 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::_open
Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandle.cgi:61 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::_open_file
Backtrace: ubb_lib_filehandler.cgi:119 -> sub UBB::FileHandle::new
Backtrace: ubb_lib_files.cgi:527 -> sub UBB::FileHandler::open
Backtrace: ubb_lib_posting.cgi:1348 -> sub main::WriteFileAsString
Backtrace: ubb_get_topic.cgi:81 -> sub main::create_topic
Backtrace: ultimatebb.cgi:703 -> sub main::get_topic

Help @.@
Hi there,

I have a problem with my UBBNews Session. I don´t know if it´s this one, because I integrated it 8 month ago and forgot to notice the numbers laugh

Look here, it now sais :

http://www.forumdeluxx.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1

Can't locate /homepages/45/d32051836/htdocs/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews/vars_ubbnews_1.cgi in @INC (@INC contains: /homepages/45/d32051836/htdocs/cgi-bin/ubb /usr/lib/perl5/5.00502/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00502 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i586-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at /homepages/45/d32051836/htdocs/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi line 793.

Any ideas ?

Thanks for your help !

Dennis
IT WORKS IT WORKS :-)

(Well, interesting what you find if you look in line 784 and just copy the missing files...)
What does it mean when it keeps telling you. I didn't complete each field i didn't complete ubb news. Now i filled in everything checked everything and it still says that
Maybe this ISN'T production code if this is real bugs.

Trucker: Make sure you created a ubbnews directory in your cgi directory and set permissions properly (777, all read/write/execute)

dbode: Permissions problem I wager.

Narcoleptic: Surely not this hack that did that. Reset permissions on your noncgi directory.
Zip file updated. Now adds the header insert, fixed some minor quirks and stuff. Upload both ubbnews and public_ubbnews.pl to the proper directories.
I completely redid the hack and now it's working just fine. I must have missed something originally when I installed it. Oh well, it's working just as I had hoped.

If you wish to see it: Truckers Road
I turned it off then about five minutes later the directory had the prober premissions again. It's currently on and working perfectly. Excellent hack!
Good to know. smile
Greg you totally ignored my whole question
Since Greg isn't paying attention can someone else tell me what exactly you put. I must be missing something?
I cant help you if you dont give me more information on the problem.
Sorry....wrong thread.....
I need to know what is the proper way to post the Forums in this section
(News Forums:
Specify the forums you want to grab topics from. ( separate them with spaces ) )
Whenever i do it it says i didn't specify the correct forum. Eventhough i used the exact forum name case sensitive.
You should use the forum number, not name.
use the numbers.
Ok so i put (Forum 1) then
no, just 1.
Hi,
I follow the instruction and everything is fine. Except when i go to the control panel and select the Advance UBBNews, I got the error saying that i don't have the permission to access this area. I can access all other options accept this. Did I set wrong permission on some file/dir??
Never mind, I got the Control Panel working. Ok, so everything works ok. Then, how do I use the SSI call? What's SSI and how do I use it?

Thanks
I have the same control panel error. Could you please tell me how you fixed it?
Unable to create a new configuration file: No such file or directory at /www/gamenexus2k/cgi-bin1/cp_ubbnews.cgi line 109.

What did i do to cause this error or did i leave something out i'm not noticing? confused
quote:
Originally posted by Quackie:
Hi,
I follow the instruction and everything is fine. Except when i go to the control panel and select the Advance UBBNews, I got the error saying that i don't have the permission to access this area. I can access all other options accept this. Did I set wrong permission on some file/dir??

Is there someone who could please tell me how to fix this error because it happened to me too. Thanks so much!
Fixed an error in the readme. Redo cp_common.pl.
quote:
Originally posted by Quackie:
Never mind, I got the Control Panel working. Ok, so everything works ok. Then, how do I use the SSI call? What's SSI and how do I use it?

Thanks

It's explained in the readme. One line where you want the news table.

etc.
Hi Greg,
I know we have to call that <-#exec --> command but I don't know where to put it. I know that these SSI call only works in .shtml file. We don't have any .shtml file in the UBB at all. Should we create one and put this command inside? I mean how does it all work together? Can you explain alittle more.
Sorry, I am new to this SSI, please patient with me.

Thanks Greg
This is to include news into your webpage. Put the code on your web page.
"You do not have permission to access this area."

I am still getting this error, even after making your correction.
Should there be a file included named "vars_ubbnews?

And is this what gets added into the template: "...cp.cgi?ubb=view_newssessions&r=$ran"
wtf. Let me go over the zip..
ZIP file updated with bug fixes and error checks.
Nice! I guess your hard work , if it was hard work, paid off.
did it? Is that an experience remark? Cause it was interesting setting up this crap. its not caching it!!!! UGH! Charles?!

I am still getting this error, even after making your new correction and after putting in the new vars_ubb_news.cgi file.
Redo the cp.cgi file hacks, making sure it requires at least one file.
First set of problems fixed. Reupload ubbnews.cgi, cp_ubbnews and redo cp_common.pl and cp.cgi carefully.
i tried the code in instal.txt but could not make it work by the code given there...instead i used this and zap! the page was there[code][/code]
Hello Greg, thanks for this hack, ive used it on 4 ubb versions now.

I am posting for a request. The date format on a standard install displays the date in a number only format (ie: 02-10-2002). I wanted to request a date which displays the month in its full-name form. (ie: February 10th, 2002).

Ive done this hack on all the prior ubbnews releases. And, its getting old smile

Here is an example of a hacked ubbnews hack, displaying a full-name date (as well as a divider): http://www.altereddestiny.net

Also, if possible, the addition of an option to add a page divider would be fantastic.

Thank you again,
--Corona
That's slated for UBBNews 2.3.0 Beta. smile

Thanks for your kind words, if you wanna send me your code for it go ahead. smile
Bug found:

Install text doesn't mention what to do with the included vars_wordlets_mods.cgi file included. Theres also a field inside the included vars_wordlets_mod.cgi which doesn't need to exist -- key is named: mod_wordlets.

Also, minor spelling error exist in cp_ubbnews_add_newssession.pl and cp_ubbnews_edit_newssession.pl. Status is misspelled as Satus.

I'll ship ya my ubbnews files after i hack the full-name date into them.
Heres my quick and dirty way to get the month to display with a full-name.

in ubbnews.cgi:
## find:
# strip off images - DONT.
# $name_space{topic_body} =~ s/]+?>//ig;

##Add below:

($name_space{GetMonth}, $name_space{GetDate}, $name_space{GetYear}) = split(/-/, $name_space{topic_date});

my @UbbnewsMonths = ("January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June", "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December");

$name_space{topic_date} = $UbbnewsMonths[($name_space{GetMonth} -1)] . " " . $name_space{GetDate} . ", " . $name_space{GetYear};

Can someone please tell me how they got into the control panel? There are so few things to modify here, and I can't get in.
I cant see reason for that... ugh..
In: "use vars qw(%vars_ubbnews %vars_ubbnews_sessions);"

should this be:
"use vars qw(%vars_ubb_news %vars_ubbnews_sessions);"

When I made that change, I got in the control panel! Yeay!
bug -- when using ssi to call the news, the body text color within the news appears black, regardless of style settings. Also, body text does not follow style template text size setting.

To fix:
## in public_ubbnews.pl
## find:

$name_space->{topic_body}

## replace with:

$name_space->{topic_body}
Okay ... I'm a SSI virgin. eek

Where exactly do I put the

[code][/code]Thanks. laugh
Posted By: Kel Re: [6.3.x] [beta] UBBNews 2.3b Beta [Unmaintained] - 03/14/2002 12:50 AM
[code][/code]Thanks. laugh [/b]
Me too... eek

Also, does this automatically create a sidebar or do I have to install the sidebar first? ... Can I decide where I want this to appear?... right, left, top, bottom? ... is it on the front page only or can i have it in every forum?
*bump*

can someone answer our question, please?
[code][/code]... etc etc etc...

Upload to WHERE??? to the directories in ()? ... if so... can you please direct me to the vars dir?... 'cuz I don't seem to have one... however I do have a styles dir... with all of my various vars in it... or would it be cgi-bin with the rest of the various vars???

Is there anyone around to answer these questions????
put the ssi where you want it to appear.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg Hard:
put the ssi where you want it to appear.

So IOW... put it in the header if that's where I want it? ... under the sidebar, if that's where I want it?
Put it where you want the tables to appear...
quote:
Put it where you want the tables to appear...

Ok... got this part... got everything uploaded... didn't know where to upload them to, so I just put them in the ubbnews dir... AND in the cgi-bin and templates dir... did everything the txt said... and .... NUTHIN'! ... I can get into cp and can set everything... and submit... and all that... but there is nothing anywhere on my board at all that even remotely indicates that this even exists... *please insert icon of diminutive redhead pulling her hair out*.... mad confused eek
:rolleyes:

This hack puts news posted in a single forum YOU set on the main page of your site... There SHOULDN'T be any indication this exists if you dont add the code to your index page.
[code][/code]... etc etc etc...

Upload to WHERE??? to the directories in ()? ... if so... can you please direct me to the vars dir?... 'cuz I don't seem to have one... however I do have a styles dir... with all of my various vars in it... or would it be cgi-bin with the rest of the various vars???

Is there anyone around to answer these questions????[/b]

vars=cgi
der
sorry this has nothing to do with ubbnew i just wanted to ask Greg Hard what happen all the post for SwitchID did you guys find something wrong with it and took it down?
I DID add the code to my page... and there is NO table or news or anything... I set it up to pull from forums... headlines only... yes, I put only the forum numbers seperated by spaces... I followed your installation instructions word for word... did not add anything or subtract anything... I did exactly as I was told... and I have NOTHING!... please do not patronize... I thought this place was for assistance... and learning... I didn't know that a pre-requisite was to be an expert... if I were an expert, I wouldn't need your assistance, now would I? ...
No Kel.
Try this:

instead.
Remove the spaces if UBB added them in the above code.
quote:
Originally posted by ClanKiller:
sorry this has nothing to do with ubbnew i just wanted to ask Greg Hard what happen all the post for SwitchID did you guys find something wrong with it and took it down?

Good question. Looking into it...
Thank you Greg.... smile

*edit... oh forget this... it is not going to do what I want it to do... and I'm just tired of looking at code tonight... maybe tomorrow... *
Update... still can't get this to work... I've checked all permissions, check all paths... gone to my server FAQS for support on that end... did all that they said... created the .shtml file... blahblahblah... and I get either

unable to include "ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1" in parsed file....

or

Premature end of script headers:....

or

File does not exist: ....

or

script not found or unable to stat:....

or

Can't locate UBBCGI.pm in @INC.....

I give up...
Posted By: Ed Re: [6.3.x] [beta] UBBNews 2.3b Beta [Unmaintained] - 03/16/2002 12:29 PM
hi Greg, i have an error:

quote:
Unable to create a new configuration file: No such file or directory at /home/*****/www/pm/*******/htdocs/cgi-bin/board/cp_ubbnews.cgi line 109.

what should i do now? i have no file whos called "vars_ubbnews_$lastnumber.cgi"

so i don't know what the scripts is looking for frown

please help,
thanks a lot in advance

Ed
behold my news:

http://gknet.twistedanime.net/dump/news.shtml laugh

twice I get an:

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

In the .shtml file I added:

[code][/code]Ofcourse the first one doesn't work, that one is for .cgi files only, right? But the second one?? I thought I chmod everything OK. Also creating an news session worked perfect. Does anybody know what the problem is? thanks in advance
it should be like this.

Code
[/code]not like this

[code]
quote:
Originally posted by Ed:
hi Greg, i have an error:

quote:
Unable to create a new configuration file: No such file or directory at /home/*****/www/pm/*******/htdocs/cgi-bin/board/cp_ubbnews.cgi line 109.

what should i do now? i have no file whos called "vars_ubbnews_$lastnumber.cgi"

so i don't know what the scripts is looking for frown

please help,
thanks a lot in advance

Ed

did you creat an directory called ubbnews and chmod it 777? tipsy
[code][/code][/b]
Lauren... I have the same thing... no one has been able to help me on it yet.... I gave up and got rid of everything I uploaded and reinstalled my back up files... until this all gets straightened out and someone can fix this, I'm not even going to mess with it anymore....
look Kel ther is not a thing wrong with this hack read my post befor this one you are doing the ssi call all wrong or something.
This hack works as directed. If you don't know how to use SSI, that's honestly not my problem. Ask your systems admin how to use SSI properly, because it varries.
quote:
Originally posted by Kel:
Update... still can't get this to work... I've checked all permissions, check all paths... gone to my server FAQS for support on that end... did all that they said... created the .shtml file... blahblahblah... and I get either

unable to include "ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1" in parsed file....

or

Premature end of script headers:....

or

File does not exist: ....

or

script not found or unable to stat:....

or

Can't locate UBBCGI.pm in @INC.....

I give up...

Then there is alot more wrong that what I can help.
{sigh}... I did everything exactly as instructed... called up the ssi exactly as you posted above... tried both ways "just in case"... checked with my server to make sure I did it right according to their instructions... everything went smooth as silk... EXCEPT!... I got the same error as Lauren...

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

When I checked my error log to see why I got this message, I saw various different errors (listed above) depending on what I tried in order to fix it...

As I am not the only one having this same exact problem, I don't think it's me... I'm frustrated beyond belief with this because it all seems so simple and should be... and despite my efforts to figure it all out and get some assistance, it is still not working for me...

I sincerely apologize for passing my frustrations on to those of you who have tried to help... I DO appreciate your time and efforts... smile
Kel
i am going to show you that this works with no probs at all have a look at this page.

http://www.starbraker.com/Contests2.shtml

yes it works with no probs with it.
so this tells me it is something your doing or it is your server.
Is there any way to call it with PHP? frown
Bump...
Bug Fixes.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave2:

how do you mean Dave? Call the script? or call the latest posts?
This might help . . .

I was having the same problems as Kel, Lauren etc., but I got out of jail - not sure if what I went through will help but for what it’s worth, here it is:

I was editing my html in frontpage (I know, I know) and when I pasted the "exec cgi="cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1" command, I kept getting wild characters. So I cleaned it up using dreamweaver (trial) and then logged on to my host server suspecting that front page extensions might be an issue.

I had never turned them on but I guessed that given the popularity of the prog. – they might be ‘on’ by default – they were so off they came.

I then read about html parsing problems and a little hack to the .htaccess file when using the subdir – htdocs. (mine’s at the same level as cgi-bin) So I modified the .htaccess as per the text below

Because it is very resource intensive to have the server parse all HTML files it serves, it is common not to parse .html files for SSI's. You can make it parse all files on your site however by adding the following line to your .htaccess file in your htdocs directory. AddHandler server-parsed .html This will make all subdirectories (i.e., your entire site) parse *.html files. End quote

There was a bit more info about ssi here ‘http://powweb.com/support/ssi.html’ including a simple (time) script which worked for me, demonstrating that I could ssi to html docs on my server. But I still kept getting - [an error occurred while processing this directive] – during the ubb call.

Finally I checked this link “http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html#includingtheresultsofacgiprogram” which referred to outputting the results of a cgi script, and I noticed the (#include virtual="/cgi-bin/etc.etc) variation as detailed by Greg. So I changed mine and “VOILA”

Now I’m not sure which of these steps cured the problem, I had tried the (#include virtual="/cgi-bin/) earlier without success so I suspect it might have been a combination of crap html in F/Page, F/P extensions and the .htaccess – I’m not skilled at all when it comes to understanding how servers work so I may be way off base – but anyhow – it worked in the end.

Now – can anybody advise on how best to format the output – it’s taking up a lot of room (even with headers only) especially with the date in there. I’ve tried to change the style template and reduce the font but I’ll still struggle to match my page

I guess it’ll have to wait until tomorrow - it’s 3:45am in Sydney and I’m going blind wink – g’night all

PS - I just had to re-type ALL this again - I lost the lot because I'd included html parentheses in the post - not happy mad
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
quote:

how do you mean Dave? Call the script? or call the latest posts?
Call the latest posts...

If it generated a .inc file or something you definitelt could... Does it generate a file which gets updated, or not?
You can print the generated cgi file in a .php page, use something like we do on our front page:
[code][/code]
Thanks smile

(I saw that someone asked this question in the server-side scripting forum but got an incorrect answer...)
Is there some way to remove the:

:

Before the posts? I've removed the 'forum text' since it doesn't look right on our site, however it still has the : and I can't figure out how to remove it...

(see http://www.aagames.co.uk to see what I mean...)
When I tried to generate that cgi code into the php page, I got this error message:

Warning: Bad arguments to implode() in /home/virtual/roxydollboard/home/httpd/html/ubbphptest.php on line 2
?>
OK - all works well - BUT - I cannot find a way for the output to conform to the nominated style template settings. It will pick up any changes to font colour – but not face or size??

I can adjust the font face (only) by embedding font info into the receiving page before uploading. When I “view source” on the output page, every UBBnews entry shows

I’ve tried Corona’s (public_ubbnews.pl) variation but no luck - HELP – as it stands it’s about as much use as an ashtray on a harley given that my output page is all size 1 arial
Let me look into that. It is working perfectly on my sites for, well over 9 months.
quote:
Originally posted by guvner:
This might help . . .

I was having the same problems as Kel, Lauren etc., but I got out of jail - not sure if what I went through will help but for what it’s worth, here it is:

I was editing my html in frontpage (I know, I know) and when I pasted the "exec cgi="cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1" command, I kept getting wild characters. So I cleaned it up using dreamweaver (trial) and then logged on to my host server suspecting that front page extensions might be an issue.

I had never turned them on but I guessed that given the popularity of the prog. – they might be ‘on’ by default – they were so off they came.

I then read about html parsing problems and a little hack to the .htaccess file when using the subdir – htdocs. (mine’s at the same level as cgi-bin) So I modified the .htaccess as per the text below

Because it is very resource intensive to have the server parse all HTML files it serves, it is common not to parse .html files for SSI's. You can make it parse all files on your site however by adding the following line to your .htaccess file in your htdocs directory. AddHandler server-parsed .html This will make all subdirectories (i.e., your entire site) parse *.html files. End quote

There was a bit more info about ssi here ‘http://powweb.com/support/ssi.html’ including a simple (time) script which worked for me, demonstrating that I could ssi to html docs on my server. But I still kept getting - [an error occurred while processing this directive] – during the ubb call.

Finally I checked this link “http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html#includingtheresultsofacgiprogram” which referred to outputting the results of a cgi script, and I noticed the (#include virtual="/cgi-bin/etc.etc) variation as detailed by Greg. So I changed mine and “VOILA”

Now I’m not sure which of these steps cured the problem, I had tried the (#include virtual="/cgi-bin/) earlier without success so I suspect it might have been a combination of crap html in F/Page, F/P extensions and the .htaccess – I’m not skilled at all when it comes to understanding how servers work so I may be way off base – but anyhow – it worked in the end.

Now – can anybody advise on how best to format the output – it’s taking up a lot of room (even with headers only) especially with the date in there. I’ve tried to change the style template and reduce the font but I’ll still struggle to match my page

I guess it’ll have to wait until tomorrow - it’s 3:45am in Sydney and I’m going blind wink – g’night all

PS - I just had to re-type ALL this again - I lost the lot because I'd included html parentheses in the post - not happy mad

Right, the code MUST be inserted MANUALLY into your HTML file. You can NOT insert it using dreamweaver or frontpage, and uploading it via frontpage extensions is really a bad idea in general.
quote:
Originally posted by guvner:
OK - all works well - BUT - I cannot find a way for the output to conform to the nominated style template settings. It will pick up any changes to font colour – but not face or size??

I can adjust the font face (only) by embedding font info into the receiving page before uploading. When I “view source” on the output page, every UBBnews entry shows

I’ve tried Corona’s (public_ubbnews.pl) variation but no luck - HELP – as it stands it’s about as much use as an ashtray on a harley given that my output page is all size 1 arial

Cant confirm this anywhere. Let me add some checks to the script...
updated. only update if your having problems.
guvner... THANK YOU!!!... I will be trying this tomorrow... I have Powweb as well and read that also... I can't remember why I didn't try it... I think one of the dogs was making off with my fuzzy slipper and I got sidetracked... I'll let you know if it works... again... thanks BUNCHES!... laugh

Edit:.... now I remember why I didn't do this... I couldn't find the .htaccess file... confused confused confused
quote:
Originally posted by Ellen:
When I tried to generate that cgi code into the php page, I got this error message:

Warning: Bad arguments to implode() in /home/virtual/roxydollboard/home/httpd/html/ubbphptest.php on line 2
?>

Use the url to the script, not the path smile

http://www.roxydollboard.com/etc etc...
Thanks Greg - but no good news I'm afraid.

Went through the whole routine again - no change - situation as detailed before confused

In my case I simply cannot get it to pick up font face or size settings/changes from the style template.

I'm running 6.2.1 - anything there?

Any chance you could have a look at my setup??

Thanks for everything so far.

IGNORE - see next post . . .
Hi Greg – ALL is well I found the little “culprit”

Line 91 of public_ubbnews.pl shows:

quote:
return qq~
$name_space->{forum_title}: $name_space->{topic_subject} ( $name_space->{topic_date} $name_space->{topic_time} )

~;

}

I amended this as follows:

quote:
return qq~
$name_space->{forum_title}: $name_space->{topic_subject} ( $name_space->{topic_date} $name_space->{topic_time} )

~;

}

and the problem went away!! – yeeeaahh – happy puppy

Thanks for your help . . .
after installing this, I get this error! Help!

Global symbol "$vars_style_" requires explicit package name at /home/scificha/public_html/forum/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi line 35. Execution of /home/scificha/public_html/forum/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi aborted due to compilation errors

I am using 6.2.1.1. Any ideas?
Yeah, I get that as well (upgraded just to have a look...)
FIND:
Code
[/code]REPLACE WITH:
[code]
Fixed it for me laugh
Code
[/code]REPLACE WITH:
[code]
Fixed it for me laugh [/b]

Brilliant! It works! Thanx!
For Allen Ayers:

Thanks for your help. UBB News works perfectly at
http://www.karass.nu/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1

I needed to add a .htaccess file to the directory, though to permit me to run ssi from the cgi-bin. My hosting company did not provide that by default. I also had to make a .htaccess file to let me run cgi programs from a non-cgi directory. Those of you having problems might have to look into this. Finally, I could not use the "execute" command, but needed to make it into an "include" like this:

However, when I tried to call it from a php page, this is what I got:

http://www.karass.nu/ubbphptest.php

I'm so close, that it's frustrating, and would appreciate any assistance! Thanks!
You have to put the URI to the file, rather than the path, if that helps... I got it running fine on PHP.
I got it to work, thanks all of you who helped smile
hello umm not sure if this would be a problem or not but. i hacked the 2 files it says to hack, uploaed them + the other varios files to the directories and such, chmodded them but there is nothing in my cp to set up anything?? so i can't do anything further. i get no errors anywhere but there is nothing there.
also in your instructions u have:
Code
[/code]this is what my cp has in it not sure if it should or not .

[code]
well that is about all there was only the 2 files too hack so not much code to mess up on my part.
i did update the vars wordlet mods files but that did'nt do anything.
i'll wait for a answer or mabye a point in the right direction.

oh 1 more thing.
in your instructions u have this.

- Upload files:
cp_ubbnews.cgi ( cgi-bin ) chmod 0755
ubbnews.cgi ( cgi-bin ) chmod 0755
vars_ubbnews_sessions.cgi ( vars dir ) chmod 0777
cp.cgi ( cgi-bin ) chmod 0755
cp_common.pl ( templates )
cp_ubbnews_sessions.pl ( templates )
cp_ubbnews_add_newssession.pl ( templates )
cp_ubbnews_edit_newssession.pl ( templates )
public_ubbnews.pl ( templates )

but in your zip file there is a extra file
vars_ubb_news.cgi i did upload this and chmodded it to 777 would this be wrong.
I install the last beta script (29.March) on a fresh installed V6.2.1.1

Seems to work but I notice the folling:
One setting made in control panel seems to be ignored. My generated news-config files looks like:

[code][/code]Settings for Charlimit seems to be ignored. I enter for a test '500' but it will not be saved. Know issue ?
quote:
Originally posted by deathdealer:
hello umm not sure if this would be a problem or not but. i hacked the 2 files it says to hack, uploaed them + the other varios files to the directories and such, chmodded them but there is nothing in my cp to set up anything?? so i can't do anything further. i get no errors anywhere but there is nothing there.

It's at the bottom of the 'Primary Serttings' list box. If you don't have it, make sure you hacked cp_common.pl
Last time i installed this hack with 6.2.1 it worked but with the latest version it looks like this!! http://www.theplace.newriverweb.net/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1 why is that please?
I'm using UBB 6.2.1.1 and i'm having trouble with this hack. I've reinstalled it a few times and i've followed the directions EXACTLY but I keep getting the same error message whenever I try and load ubbnews.cgi. Here it is:

Content-type: text/html
Software error:
Can't obtain exclusive lock: Bad file number at /usr/local/www/virtual/******/***/******/ubb_lib_files.cgi line 566.

Someone please help because I really could use this hack on my website. Thanks.
Hi there. I'm using ubb 6.2.0

when i install this hack My control panel does not work.

Code
[/code]in "installlation and readme.txt" file ;
Code
</pre></div></div>in My cp.cgi file;<br> [code]
and i modified other lines to cp.cgi and cp_common.pl files. But cp does not work. Please help me what is wrong
Now I set up a testboard with UBB V6.2.1.2 and modification wordlets. Nothing else. Cache and accelerator is enabled.

I install last beta script and it look like this:
Test Homepage with UBB News

On my production Board with UBB V6.1.0.3 and the script V 2.0.0b1.3 it work perfect and look like:

Production Homepage

I like to switch to V6.2. the V6.1 dosn't work well with ubbnews and cache turned on. Any suggestion how I can fix the display output of the new script ?
zarzal can you send me cp.cgi and cp_common.pl files to [email protected]
:rolleyes: frown :rolleyes:
I did it like you. But problem was continued. I guess, required install modshack
I install only a fresh copy of the board, then mod_wordlets_v1_6_ubb62.zip (AUTHORS: DPK & Leshrac WEBSITE: www.qasic.com/ubbhacks.html)

Nothing else. Then I apply the UBBnewsbeta and it work. I can create newssessions. But only the output of the ssi is my problem. The borders and colours will be supressed.

Can It be that i must use a .css to display the output in the right format ? Is there somwhere a doc who describe this ?
Same here, it don't use the style vars.
But if works, if I set the used style in the CGI. I've replaced
Code
[/code]with
[code]
But I don't know why, this should be both the same.
Ok, now I've moved

Code
[/code]after

[code]
in ubbnews.cgi and it works fine.
great ! it works fine. Thank you
quote:
Originally posted by UmARsIZ:
zarzal can you send me cp.cgi and cp_common.pl files to [email protected]
:rolleyes: frown :rolleyes:

Please don't ask for it anymore - it's not allowed to distribute the UBB files.
OMG!... It works!!... I finally got this to work!... laugh ... I named this hack "My Holy Grail" because it has been so unattainable for so long! ... *happy snoopy dance*... IT WORKS!!! laugh
Thats reason 1 of 5 why this hack is being rewritten. *cough*
*groan*.... you hate me Greg, don't you? ... C'mon... admit it... you love to see me suffer.... {sigh}
Posted By: Kel Re: [6.3.x] [beta] UBBNews 2.3b Beta [Unmaintained] - 04/28/2002 10:05 AM
Ok... if you're going to rewrite this... can you make it so that it lists the posts in the order that they are made (most recent first) and NOT in order of the forum numbers? ... If I set it up to grab 20 posts from 10 forums, it grabs two from 1, two from 2, two from 3... and so on... in that order... so it's NOT the latest posts... it's just the last two posts in each forum... is there a way to change that?

*edit*... actually, it's only grabbing the name of the thread in the forum... not the actual post itself in the thread... and it lists that thread with the date and time that it was originally posted... NOT the date and time of the last post in the thread... any way to fix this? Any way to make this more on the idea of "Today's Active Topics"?... know what I mean?
Code
[/code]after

[code]
in ubbnews.cgi and it works fine.[/b]

HEY that fixed it!! excellent all my hacks installed are now working!! (well until the next one smile )
Ok so now I am a little confused it this hack supposed to retain the default (when set) settings from the templates?? cause the background is white around the table regardless of what i do , and the header and footer do not show!! help me please confused :rolleyes:
Fixed. Reupload ubbnews.cgi.
Greg... what's fixed? ... I re-uploaded ubbnews.cgi and see nothing different... are there any plans to do the things I mentioned above?
Yes Kel, I'll see if i can put it on the dev list.
Ok... thanks Greg... smile
quote:

Umm Nope still no header and white background, starting to think this could be me again!!
UBB News is truly a simple and functional hack!

I live in Sweden and we use the 24 hour format - how can I change the UBB News to use the same time & date format as the rest of our forum?
It isn't working here: Unable to create a new configuration file: No such file or directory at /homepages/20/d17095330/htdocs/cgi-bin/ubb/cp_ubbnews.cgi line 109.
quote:
Originally posted by Chasm:
quote:

Umm Nope still no header and white background, starting to think this could be me again!!
Same problem here, installed on 6.3 last night. Is it possible that using the JCTemplates is the issue since I can choose a style template but not a templates folder like I can for forums etc?
Looking into it guys, relax. smile
quote:
Looking into it guys, relax. smile

*grabs a tall glass of iced tea and relaxes*
Reupload ubbnews. I think (think!) i might have it. let me know.

FYI, this hack does not work with JCTemplates (yet) officially.
It took a bit of fiddling but it does work with JC's templates [ here ] wink
quote:
Reupload ubbnews. I think (think!) i might have it. let me know.

FYI, this hack does not work with JCTemplates (yet) officially.

Errr right frown not forgetting that I am running 6.2 i have reuploaded all the files and rechecked and rehacked cp common and cp.cgi and im now further away than I was before!! Now i get "Fatal Error. Styles File is NON EXISTANT. YOU HEAR ME?!" and NO colours at all!! at least I had table colours before now its like text in a snowstorm!! LOL smile
I don't want that the date is displayed and also that the font size is "1"... can somebody tell me how to do this?
Ok installed on 6.3.0 and in the cp, the question:

Grab that number on the whole forums?

Well the radio button wont stay. I select either choice, submit, says its done, I go back and neither radio button is selected. Doesnt matter which one I choose, nothing sticks.
quote:
Originally posted by WNxWakko:
Ok installed on 6.3.0 and in the cp, the question:

Grab that number on the whole forums?

Well the radio button wont stay. I select either choice, submit, says its done, I go back and neither radio button is selected. Doesnt matter which one I choose, nothing sticks.

I have the same thing.
nothing, i have fixed it
For that 'styles is non-existant' thingy I quickly commented out the check and it worked... ubbnews.cgi:

Code
[/code]Replace with:

[code]
Not ideal, but is better than not having any styles tipsy .

That radio button also won't stay for me -- probably just a template prob.
Posted By: LK Re: [6.3.x] [beta] UBBNews 2.3b Beta [Unmaintained] - 05/22/2002 10:19 PM
Or just replace the unless line with:[code][/code]tipsy
*shrug*

Didn't want to make a solution that required a slight use of my brain tipsy
I have a vars_wordlets.mods.cgi and a vars_ubb_news.cgi file in the ZIP file. The instructions make no mention of these files, or what to do with them. Any ideas?
Ok, I am getting the error: [an error occurred while processing this directive]. I can parse .shtm files on the server, and in fact, the same page which gives me the error above, has other includes which are showing up.

I have tested using the string "", and "". I get the error when I use the first string. When I use the #include string, I get nothing. The cell where the SSI should be placed, shrinks to 1 pixle width, with no info.

I have SSI enabled in my httpd file. I am not using a .htaccess file.

*Hmm.... thinking of any other relative information...*

Ok.. I tried to call the file from my web browser:
"http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi
and
"http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1

When I do it this way, I get a blank page. White background, and nothing else.

I am thinking, if using the url to test the file will work to test, then this could be the reason that the string is returning nothing. That is, assuming that you can call the ubbnews.cgi file the way that I have in a web browser. If this is the case, then it seams like the problem may be with the cgi-script, or the "string".

My domain is :www.walkthrough-online.com

Please help! Anyone..?
hmmm... check the permissions on your ubbnews folder and see if it's writing to it.
I have the ubbnews folder CHMOD to 777. Inside of the folder, there is 1 file:
"vars_ubbnews_1.cgi (Size:192) (Attr: -rwxrwxrwx)"

I do not know if this helps any or not, but I have a test page up on the server. The page holds 6 cell table (2 columbs, 3 rows). The first 2 rows just list which way I am trying to include into the 3rd row (#include or #exec). The last row has the include as #exec and as #include. In the #exec cell, I get nothing. In the #include cell, I get the error.
Anyway, here is a link to the test page, if it helps at all

http://www.walkthrough-online.com/testubbnews.shtm
Fixed.
ZIP Updated again.
Fixed? the Sytles problem, or my problem? I ask, because I download the zip again, and then checked the sized of the files, and the instructions. All of the files are the same size, and there is no change to the instructions.

If my problem is fixed, then I assume I need to redo the install? Or is there one file I need to reupload and/or edit?

Thanks!
Ok, ive got this working, but its displaying:

E46 M3 Discussion: TEST ( 06-01-2002 10:28 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Its Gone ( 06-01-2002 09:43 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: All of this car buying is doing my 'ed in ( 06-01-2002 09:10 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: I can't take it anymore... ( 06-01-2002 05:34 AM )
E46 M3 Discussion: SMG S5 ( 05-31-2002 09:08 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Return after 4 Month 'Lay Up' ( 05-31-2002 08:07 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Idling speed and SMG clunking ( 05-31-2002 07:20 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Put pen to paperwork today ( 05-31-2002 07:13 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: HELP on Univ Trans fitting to Euro spec ( 05-31-2002 06:09 PM )
E46 M3 Discussion: Got blown away this morning! ( 05-31-2002 05:06 PM )

How do I set it so a) It doesnt put the forum name at the start of each topic, and b) remove the time and date at the end?

thanks!
I've managed to remove the date, time and forum description, but I am left with the brackets that would normally be before and after the date and time, and also the colon after the forum name ie:

E46 M3 Discussion: TEST ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Its Gone ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: All of this car buying is doing my 'ed in ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: I can't take it anymore... ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: SMG S5 ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Return after 4 Month 'Lay Up' ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Idling speed and SMG clunking ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Put pen to paperwork today ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: HELP on Univ Trans fitting to Euro spec ( )
E46 M3 Discussion: Got blown away this morning! ( )

Ive checked the code, but not being mr coder, im not sure where these are?
OK! found it in the template!
Ok, I have everything working great, but I notice that the script only collects a list of NEW topics, and ignores updated topics..

Is there any way of amending, or adding a feature that allows it to include a thread if it has been updated/replied to as well?

That would be great.. this tool is brilliant.
[code][/code]tipsy [/b]
Ok so the colours are back now thanks smile But I really want my header to show and be changeable from the Cp as per the normal template!! how does one get this to work please?
Everything works peachy, except for the fact that it has set any other SSI's after the UBB News to read images from the noncgi directory which I don't want it to do..

Here's an example:
http://www.liberifatali.com/umbrella/index2.shtml

Notice that on the right, all the images have '/noncgi' in them which shouldn't be..

Any ideas please?
Thanks smile

[EDIT]
I fixed this by FORCING my other images to read from their exact path.. But this should be an issue that needs fixing.. wink
Realised the maxchar is not being updated...

found that in your cp_ubbnews.cgi

there's this

print FILE "foo1 => q~$in{foo1}~,n";

changed it to
print FILE "maxchars => q~$in{maxchars}~,n";

and it worked.

smile
Any chance of allowing multiple HTML templates?
quote:
Any chance of allowing multiple HTML templates?

was just about to ask the same thing..lol
Greetings.
I installed this hack and it works with no major issues, however the one that I do have is the following:
I have only two choices, display only the headlines, or the entire topic.
I tried the check features and that did not do it, I also tried limiting the number of characters and that also failed. Is there a way to show only a part of the topic and have a link to "read more" as in the ubb front page? I'll appreciate any help I can get in solving this matter.
Great hack!!.

Rabriar
Never mind I tryed it again and it works flawlessly.
I must have them gremlins in my server....

Excellent work!!
Rabriar
I used this hack to add the latest topics to my homepage, and it appears to work fine, but...

It doesn't seem to address new REPLIES. That is, if someone posted a message last week saying "How do I do this...?" and then a week later, someone else posted a reply saying "Here is how you do it..." then I'd like that to show up as a news item. That is, I want a list of current topics, not just a list of the last posts.

Can that be done? Or is it supposed to that and something is wrong?
Todd: It is not supposed do that, its the designed behavior. smile
quote:
Todd: It is not supposed do that, its the designed behavior. smile

How hard would it be to alter the code to do so? I'm fairly savvy as far html/asp/vbscript/javascript, but Perl/CGi is not my forte. frown

Is it something you'd be willing to help me pursue, or do you think there is not a demand for it?
Shoot me a PM with details on what you want (much detail, i'm not very smart at figuring it out... wink ) and i'll see if i can do it.
i've got bluedomino.com has my host and they said i can't call "exec" in ssi code, but the rest of the variables should be ok, so that doesn't necessarily mean no UBB News right? i really don't no the first thing about ssi. not a damn thing. lol
my second question is...does this work with the JC Templates yet??
gost95 i am useing bluedomino.com as well and ubbnews will work for you.

but you have to call the ssi like this for it to work on bluedomino.com.
i use to use exec to call it till they moved me to a new server then the exec call would not work any more.
so i sent them an e-mail to find out what was going on and they sent me an e-mail back saying i had to use the call i posted below.

[code][/code]
but...the big question is does this work with jc templates...about a month and a half ago greg said it didn't. frown

thanks for the info though man. smile
What part interfaces with JC templates? I don't think it matters what kind of templates you use in your public forums, this doesn't touch them.

Those who don't feel like modifying your files can do like we have done since the beginning and just manually set the variables and upload the files...
[code][/code][/QB]
I keep seeing this, but it doesn't work for me. (I am using *.asp pages, and maybe that's an issue?)

The problem is, the server hits that code, and then comes back and tell me that there is no page named ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=1. Which is true. only ubbnews.cgi exists. The server is interpreting the passed variables as a literal.

I "solved" this problem by using a screen scrape of the page and extracting the details I need. But if there is cleaner way to do that, I'd like to know? Thanks!
Try

and make sure your path is correct.

if its stored in /path1/path2/path3/cgi-bin/ubbnews.cgi make sure you put that in, even if the asp calling is in the path3 directory.
ok...maybe it's just me being an idiot, but i'm having the same issue with both this and the latest threads hack. when i install everything and then call the file with the ssi script i get nothing not even an error.

since i really don't understand how to call a script, i'll tell you what i did. i just took,

since bluedomino doesn't allow for "exec", and i pasted it in the CP under a number of different places as test to see if it would work, i.e. Footer, Header, HTML Extra, Intro Text, and so on.

am i doing that right???
gost95 for latest threads to show up you must make a post after you install it or nothing will show up.

and for UBBNews did you first go into your cp and steup the forum you would like the news to come from?

you can see both of them running very well at this site.
http://www.starbraker.com/

the page you are calling them from should be a .shtml file not a .html or a .htm.

Todd Davis that could be the prob you are haveing as well i am not really sure if you can make a ssi call from a .asp page.
I am running a couple of these on the front of my site to show latest updates in the forums (as the latest topics hack isnt available). The problem people moan about most, is that it takes a good few seconds for the page to appear because of the scripts it is running to pull that information in.. is there any way of running a timed script to pipe this info to a file, and then just include that file so it appears instantly like the old latest posts hack did?
Well I thought I did have the problem fixed, but I was wrong, does anybody know why is it that the latest post appear entirely in the front page, meaning I put a limit of 200 characters and still shows the entire topic, I tried 100 characters and still the same result, also I try this with every option and still not good. If this is the way it's supposed to work then I'll just have to deal with it, but if it can be fixed I'd love to know how :-)
I love the hack any ways.

Rabriar
I am thinking of switching to UBB.threads - are there a UBBNews for that version??

Also: I would love to have multiple HTML templates for UBBNews.

Check out our site with UBBNews installed:

http://99mac.com/nyheter.htm

(its a swedish macintosh site - in swedish)
Hello martin smile

threads has a news script that comes with it, there are also quite a few nice news-type scripts for threads at www.ubbdev.com
Hello Greg,
Just thought I'd let you know that if HTML is enabled for a forum no tables get included in the shtml file I have. I'm using:
Code
[/code]It works fine when HTML is not enabled for a forum. As soon as I enable HTML I get a blank shtml page and I have to remove all the News Sessions, Clear Cache, Rebuild Search Index and recreate the News Sessions as well as disable HTML in the forum so that the tables start appearing again on my shtml page. 

Also for people that only have PHP extentions on their http server you can use this code in any of your php files:
[code]
Regards,
TiCaL
When I run the SSI I get this error:

Software error:
/usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/vars_wordlets_mods.cgi: syntax error at /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/vars_wordlets_mods.cgi line 10, near "'time_localboard'"

Now when I delete everything in the var_wordlet_mod.cgi cept the ubbnews wordlets the hack works perfectly....
cp_ubbnews updated with a fix.
Hi Greg, I installed Ubbnews beta and also Sticky Threads hack, and I thought they would work together so that the sticky threads would be captured from ubbnews to appear them in the shtml file, but actually it doesn't. Is there in the future any chance to have this as an option in ubbnews hack (or maybe even now?)?

Thanks for your time

P.S. Your hacks are really great, keep up the good work.
That was a bug fixed back when JB007 was coding this smile Your best bet would be to have an "announcements" forum only you can post new topics to, then pull your news from that smile
Sorry for getting out of topic:

Allen, how do you put images inside that, like the one in ubbdev index?
If I want to remove the box of "# replies | Read more..." which file should I edit?
Would anyone be so kind to link me to a working zip file of Greg's latest release of UBBNews? I've been looking all over since his site is down. Thks!
https://www.ubbdev.com/hacks/ubbnewsbeta2.zip

- as always you can ignore the ubbintegration, upload your files and set the variables manually. smile
quote:
Originally posted by Saxeus:
If I want to remove the box of "# replies | Read more..." which file should I edit?
the public_ubbnews.pl file smile
Thanks Allen. smile UBBNews3 will be out when 6.4 is released.
Thanks Allen! thumbsup

Props to you too MasterMind for a cool hack.
Hey,

I'm at my wits end here. I've been trying to get this to work for about 6 hours. I've combed through all the included files, and I still can't figure out what's wrong.

I enter the Control panel, select "Advanced UBBNews" and I get this error message:

code:
Code
Undefined subroutine &main::view_newssessions called at D:Inetpubwwwrootdevcgi-bincp.cgi line 480.

Line 480 in my cp.cgi =
code:
[qb]
Code
if (($ubb eq 'view_newssessions') && ($status eq 'Administrator')) {
&RequireCode("$vars_config{CGIPath}/cp_ubbnews.cgi");
&view_newssessions;
exit(0);
}
[/qb]
Well, actually, that's lines 478-482

I've compared this block of code with several other blocks in the cp.cgi, also tracing back to the file called in &RequireCode statement. Everything looks right, just can't seem to all the subroutines from cp_ubbnews.cgi.

Oh, I'm on 6.3.0.1 with a bunch of mods - stats, chat, PM inbox, calendar, etc.
Make sure you uploaded cp_ubbnews.cgi, CHMODded 755, etc.
Oh shoot...

I was about to go off on a nasty spurt about seeing CHMOD in the code. Since I'm using IIS 5.0 on a W2k box.

But then I thought, hmmm... maybe I should check my file permissions.

Got it working.

Thanks LK.
quote:
Originally posted by AllenAyres:
You can print the generated cgi file in a .php page, use something like we do on our front page:
code:
[qb]
Code
<?php
print implode("n", file("https://ubbdev.com/db/cgi/ubbnews.cgi?ns_id=2"));
?>
[/qb]

Thanks...That command works with PHP. thumbsup
Just in case anyone else is like me and not strong on php, the code above - when copied directly off the page - causes the opening php tag to run into the function call

code:
Code
 <?phpprint 

just separate them
code:
[qb]
Code
 <?php print 
[/qb]
and it works a charm.

Thanks guys wink
Hmm...I'm testing this hack for a new site my team and I are building and so far I like what I see. I understand this is "Unmaintained" but I was wondering if anyone can resolve this problem I'm facing.

If I'm correct, UBBNews will grab the topic date/time when it's first posted, NOT by the replies. If so, I would assume that the posts would be listed in chronological order (e.g., 1/3/02, 1/2/02, 1/1/02). I listed the dates in descending order. Well on forums with replies it randomly selects the date/times of the posts.

Example:

--------------------
WooT
28. September 2002 09:23 PM
AW Man me and ghost had a wiff of a game!
17. December 2001 09:59 AM
need bz2 help baddddd
17. December 2001 09:13 AM
FE............
24. November 2001 09:09 PM
krylo killed haya's pc
26. December 2001 07:49 AM
HardWare: Hard Drive
25. November 2001 12:15 AM
rtcw CLIENT_UNKNOWN_TO_AUTH
04. January 2002 10:26 AM

--------------------

Notice the dates...It's just in random fashion. It didn't reflect the new threads created in Oct nor list them by the dates they were posted. Any help will be much appreciated. Thks!
Is anyone still following this thread?
If so I just have one small problem with the
hack and was wondering if anyone has seen it before?

For some reason the Link for the Topic doesn't get set, it sets the link on the posters name just fine, it just doesn't link to the topic in the forum

Here is the test page
http://www.alienarmada.com/ubbnewstest.shtml

Thanks for any help!

Mike
ok, I get 2 errors in my site error logs with this:

quote:

ubbnews.cgi: Use of uninitialized value at ubbnews.cgi line 77.

that line is:
Code
[/code]and this error:
<blockquote><font class="small">quote:
[qb]
ubbnews.cgi: Odd number of elements in hash assignment at ubbnews.cgi line 94.
[/qb]
which is:
[code]
Any idea for how to get rid of these errors?

here's a copy of the file:
https://www.ubbdev.com/ubb/upload/00000494/ubbnews.cgi.txt
I'm having an issue and I'm unsure if it's because it's intended to work the way it is or not.

I want to pull news from two forums which I can do simple enough. I simple edit the UBB News template and enter the forum numbers separated by a space like it says.

However, I find that it doesn't pull the posts based on chronological order. Instead it posts them from one forum first, then the next forum next.

Is this intended? Is there a way to make it so that it pulls posts based on the date instead?