UBB.Dev
I'd like to get the ball rolling with a bit of discussion about UBB.portal User Management.

Honestly, I envision us modifying the current cookie format to include the User Number (assuming it isn't already in there and I'm missing it). Unless we are going to borrow/use some of the UBB built-in authentication routines. There has been some discussion on Infopop Support forums that they will be including MD5 soon.

If I'm not mistaken, we would be able to call the recent visitors, and recent topics from the get_daily and pntf routines. Since those files are already being built and used by the UBB, why re invent the wheel again if we dont have to.

I do see a potential problem with the style integration with the introduction of JC's templates. How would that be handled? Via an alternate index.cgi/index.php or some extra coding to check for the other. But what would be the affect on the CPU usage and load time if we used the extra coding. Page Load time should be considered a very important factor when it comes time to actually start coding the interface.

Another potential hazard I see is an integration of Polls, unless we are going to keep that entirely separate of the UBB except when it comes time to count the votes.

I could see us putting in some sort of download system. I assume we would want this to be developed to discourage linking directly to a sites downloads.

I've seen some discussion about getting a person to be the "lead developer". Personally, I think we need to get that situated, and get a group of "private beta testers" to do some testing before we release a section of the tree.

Personally, it is easier for me to get my thoughts down, so I don't lose them. Sorry about the long post, but I've been doing some thinking about the project, and some of the suggestions. I just wanted to get all this, because these are some things to consider. I'm not only writing this as a potential user, but as a developer. Normally, I write cobol, but if I play with a language enough, I can tinker.
Long posts are great when we need ideas. MD5 would be a welcome addition.
I see the UBB Portal being something like PostNuke. A web system where you can manage your site etc. Honestly at first I thought UBB portal would just be a main page with things about your forum and then a link to them. But it seems it will be much different. smile
I believe the cookies do include the member number. smile
quite a bit:

login time, username, password, member number, days viewed, ip #, a good bit more smile
quote:
Originally posted by TheX:
MD5 would be a welcome addition.

take a look at http://community.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=729094322&f=7343077313&m=4583027806

This is where the discussion has come up.
© UBB.Developers