UBB.Dev
Posted By: RandyM Portal status? - 11/10/2002 9:06 AM
With 6.4 nearly in public beta and the fact that it's been in the hands of the beta testers for quite some time is there any news on a portal? It has been said that the portal should be viable in 6.4 because of the new content islands.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Portal status? - 11/10/2002 11:11 PM
We are still in the same exact situation as before.

There are no coders that have stepped forth to actually write anything.

There can be no portal without someone to actually write it.
Posted By: 1QuickSI Re: Portal status? - 11/11/2002 7:34 AM
There has been nothing "exciting or new" about UBB other then UBB itself as of late. I beleive the developers here are doing what they can to keep their modifications up to date with the pace of which new releases of UBB are coming out and supporting each version there of.

Until UBB can actualy handle plugins as discussed the other week in chit chat I think this project will never fully mature as who is going to want to re-code it for each new rendition of UBB that gets released.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Portal status? - 11/11/2002 9:09 AM
Plugins aren't a magic bullet.

There has been a general slump in activity over the past year. The very few talented coders that we had have either moved on or no longer show interest in anything... the entire community is in a holding pattern.

Nothing short of some new, talented blood will help this. But I don't know of anything such as this on the horizon... We can only sit and hope.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Portal status? - 11/11/2002 9:32 AM
As always, the most-used portions of a 'portal' can be piece-mealed from existing modifications - tho 6.4 will be adding vey nice content islands that will handle a large portion of it in the base code smile Other than that, it's still slow-moving on the dev-front. Those able to write for it either don't have the time to devote to it or the interest or they are waiting to see what can be done with 6.4 like the rest of us smile
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Portal status? - 11/22/2002 12:25 PM
It's a shame really. Granted that people have their responsibilities and interests, but at the same time I just find it curious that there have been a drop-off rate that's growing steadily. In a way it's a bit of bad timing because with recent months I know a lot of people who has an interest in portals and have been seeking all in one packages. It make sense...
Posted By: bb777 Re: Portal status? - 01/30/2003 6:41 PM
UBB has started a whole new trend of communities a few years ago. Those communities have matured by now and look for additional features beyond the forum software itself.

I think Infopop should put some $$$ and manpower behind a portal development. If enthusiasts lost interest in developing the necessary code, Infopop should lead the way.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Portal status? - 01/31/2003 1:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by bb777:
UBB has started a whole new trend of communities a few years ago. Those communities have matured by now and look for additional features beyond the forum software itself.

I think Infopop should put some $$$ and manpower behind a portal development. If enthusiasts lost interest in developing the necessary code, Infopop should lead the way.
Amen to that...I haven't seen any movement at all. I was looking at other solutions but the fear of the migration and dataloss is what stopped me. How long would it take the Infopop devs to build a nice flexible front end?

*not long at all*
Posted By: PrimeTime Re: Portal status? - 01/31/2003 2:21 AM
Possibly, but until that happens the codes provided by Sub Zero, Paulus and Bookie's (Portal) are the most productive thus far. More than likely once people see the results, their input will start rolling in.
© UBB.Developers