UBB.Dev
Posted By: Gizmo [7.x] [Beta] Purge Welcome Messages - 12/19/2006 3:55 AM
For those of you who've imported from another product and want to purge welcome messages, heres a quick addon for you.

Simply drop this file on your webserver and update your sql data, and edit the $welcome section, load the script in your browser, and any messages matching $welcome% will be purged.

$welcome is the string you want to match, and the script automatically links "like" topics (such as welcome to our forums, welcome to our site, etc. with the default match of "welcome".

This addon will purge from all pm tables, and not just the topics and posts table like prior mysql matches did, this will provide a CLEAN purge of welcome messages, versus only purging data from 2 of the 3 tables.

I will be working on a way to repair the users table for "botched" welcome message purges using the "alternate" means of just deleteing items from the database, not sure on an eta.

This should work anywhere UBB7 would work. If you have problems, let me know!

Attached File
2310-purgewelcomes.zip  (83 downloads)
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 12/19/2006 7:02 AM
Cool, thanks laugh
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 12/19/2006 10:18 AM
You're welcome hehe... I was meaning to get it out for the initial 7.0 beta but time didn't permit frown... But I've got it now for everyone hehe...

I'm doing the one to fix the botched purges because I feel semi responsible since I was passing out the query lol... I haven't decided how to go about it yet though.
Posted By: smallufo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 12/28/2006 10:09 AM
Wow , thank you very much.....
It helps me a lot....
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 12/28/2006 11:05 AM
I'm glad to hear it helped (and worked as intended); was it easy to follow/understand? I tried to make it fairly painless...
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 08/20/2007 7:37 AM
:bump: for AA wink...
Posted By: MattUK Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 09/27/2007 12:52 PM
I get this error

You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''welcome%' USING latin1 )' at line 1
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 09/29/2007 8:35 AM
when do you get that error?
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 09/29/2007 11:35 AM
Have you edited the file at all, after adding your db information? I'm unsure as to why you'd get the error, it's a simple query...
Posted By: JAISP Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 03/26/2008 8:01 PM
I can't open the zip file. Not a valid archive!!

Can you help me out Gizmo?
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 03/27/2008 2:04 AM
It unzips without issues for me; what are you using to open the archive?
Posted By: Iann128 Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 07/23/2008 6:17 PM
Gizmo I am getting the same error, I edited the file and added my DB info.. frown

Ian
Posted By: Iann128 Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 07/23/2008 6:28 PM
btw way I changed CONVERT( _utf8 '$subject%' USING latin1 ) to just '$subject%' and it ran, and cleared them all out. I verified it in phpadmin in my control panel.

Ian
Posted By: Gizmo Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 07/24/2008 1:58 AM
Likely the cause may have een a syntax error with a version of mysql i was using vs what you're using... The change ofcoarse would be to do away with the convert line like you did.
Posted By: Chosen Re: [7.x] Purge Welcome Messages - 07/28/2011 7:05 PM
I have been cleaning out some things on my forum and realized that I had a ton of welcome messages wasting space. Thanks for the file, even if it is 5 years later.
© UBB.Developers