UBB.Dev
Posted By: mam14 Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/07/2001 4:45 AM
ok.. this may seems odd but I'd like to know how to enable cgi & perl scripting on my new Windows 2000 server so I can run ubb on my home server rather than get a hosting company to do it for me, thus saving mysef a lot of old headaches and creating new ones!

Currently, I get an "internal server error" for cgi's and nothing (timeout) for perls.

I downloaded and installed ActivePerl but nothing happened(!)..
I'd apreciate any help in this regard.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/07/2001 4:50 AM
You need to "map" perl to your cgi and perl scripts on your server.

Mapping perl in IIS takes about 20-30 seconds.

- You pull up the internet services manager, right click on the folder you need mapped to perl (ubbcgi) and click on properties.
- Under Applications settings in the directory tab, click on the "create" button on the right.
- then click on "configuration"
- in App Mappings, scroll to the bottom to make sure cgi isn't already mapped in there
- if it is, make sure .cgi and .pl is mapped to your Perl.exe %s %s or PerlIS.dll
- if it isn't click on "add"
- browse to your Perl.exe then add %s %s after it once you select it and put .cgi in the executable box. Check "All Verbs" and click ok.
- do the same for the .pl extension

That sounds like a lot, but it is step-by-step... ask if I am unclear anywhere...
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/07/2001 4:57 AM
Here's an excellent link for you to check out as well - http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/actperl/actperl.html

Allen gave a pretty good explanation, but this page has screenshots. smile
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/07/2001 5:04 AM
That is a good example Matt... gracias mi amigo smile
Posted By: mam14 Re: Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/07/2001 9:29 AM
Thanks a lot guys.. I did this and there was no way I could've figured the %s %s part myself..

One thing though.. I noticed that in the Internet Services Manager, my cgi-bin dir was just another directory in the Default Web Site tree (i.e. it is a seperate Virtual Dir.) Whereas have created a seperate cgi-bin dir in the localhost dir (c:inetpub on my system).. Where exactly should I create the required UBB dirs from?

Plus, now that I've copied all of my forums, memebrs, etc.. to my server, I setup the UBB but I see a start page with the forums missing! What's happening?

Thanks

[ May 07, 2001 03:03 AM: Message edited by: mam14 ]
Posted By: amykhar Re: Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/07/2001 5:01 PM
check your general display options. If it has display by categories checked, and you have no categories it will look like that.

Amy
Posted By: mam14 Re: Enabling CGI Scripting - 05/08/2001 4:02 AM
aaagh.. that's it..
thanks amykhar.
And to you all
© UBB.Developers