UBB.Dev
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Legal Question - 06/16/2001 7:17 AM
I just bought my UBB License not long ago. I was just wondering, that one year from now when my license expires, would it be legal if a friend passed me a copy of an updated ubb and I start using that without renewing my member subscription?
Posted By: Tech-Ni-Kal Re: Legal Question - 06/16/2001 7:36 AM
No .. I dont think so . because that would be freely distributing it and then you could pass it on and so forth and then everytime a new version came out you could do it again .. maybe I am wrong but that is what I think smile
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Re: Legal Question - 06/16/2001 7:40 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply. Any second opinions?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Legal Question - 06/16/2001 8:10 AM
The members area access, and therefore upgrades, is tied to a single license. It would be a violation of the license to continune to upgrade boards who do not contain licenses that have members area access. This holds true even if you have multiple licenses.
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Re: Legal Question - 06/16/2001 9:07 AM
You mean that even if I have 2 ubb licenses (1 with valid member access) I'll still be committing an offence if I upgrade the ubb without member access?

But I get the picture now thx. It's just kinda bummer.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Legal Question - 06/16/2001 9:12 AM
Yes, that is correct.
Posted By: Rinkrat Re: Legal Question - 06/17/2001 8:46 PM
After I purchased a "lifetime license" to UBB I realised that I only had a year of upgrades.

I feel used and dirty now and think I'll go take a bath.
Posted By: The Prohacker Re: Legal Question - 06/18/2001 12:52 AM
Why?
Now you don't have to take your board down after the one year with a lease....
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 6:15 AM
I have a confession to make. I was using a pirated version of ubb before. Not only that, I passed the pirated copy to a friend as well. I realised that what I did was very wrong and unfair so I went to buy a license. I'm very sorry for my actions and I will never distribute ubb again. Will I lose my license? Is there any way to redeem myself?
Posted By: afterlab Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 6:25 AM
I am not sure if you would lose it.. It's up to the guys here at ubbdev.com but I got to give you props for getting a license. At least you aren't STILL doing the pirated UBB thing.
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 6:42 AM
In a STRICTLY unofficial manner, as long as you have a license now, you're 'forgiven'... Now, just get the friend to purchase one and you'll be fine. wink (They ARE on sale this month.. :))
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 6:44 AM
I haven't asked him yet. But what if he doesn't listen to me?

Thanks, I feel alot better now. My conscience is killing me.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 7:03 AM
If he doesn't listen to you? Just give us his forum address and we'll handle it. wink Or even better, send the URL of his forum to piracy@infopop.com .
Posted By: The Prohacker Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 7:05 AM
quote:

Saint CC now???

For give me father for I have sinned, it has been 12 cpu proccess since my last confession..

Hehe sorry couldn't help myself, no offence to any religions out there..
Lunalis Umbra,
Well.. [email protected], Brett has an amazing way of getting people to get rid of warez laugh laugh laugh

And if your a real friend, UBB does make a nice Xmas stocking stuffer....

[ June 23, 2001 12:05 AM: Message edited by: The Prohacker ]
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 7:21 AM
I will talk to my friend. Thanks to you guys, this forum a great place to hang out.

Are there any Infopop employees around? Am I really 'forgiven'(haha)? Is there an email address to send to in order to express my apologies? I really feel quite bad about all this...

I realise I'm asking too many questions and all, thanks for all the help.

[ June 23, 2001 12:24 AM: Message edited by: Lunalis Umbra ]
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 7:28 AM
You already got an answer from an IP employee. Care to take a guess at which one of us works for IP? smile And, no, it's not me!
Posted By: Lunalis Umbra Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 7:32 AM
Charles???
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Legal Question - 06/23/2001 7:34 AM
Ding ding ding... laugh
© UBB.Developers