UBB.Dev
Posted By: Avaeq Hack tutorial?? - 10/22/2001 10:03 PM
It's probably asked before, but for me, and other people who just want to know:
Is ther a hack tutorial???

For me, personally, I would love an hack tutorial about v. 6.0, because I just want to hack some stuff myself...

Is there one, and where can I find one???
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Hack tutorial?? - 10/23/2001 12:48 AM
There's really no need for a tutorial. Just download a plain-text editor - I use EditPlus myself - and then follow the directions in the hack text file itself. You don't have to understand the code, or even know what each piece of it does, you just have to copy and paste. It goes without saying that if you can copy and paste in Microsoft Word, then you can easily install a hack.
Posted By: Matt Jacob Re: Hack tutorial?? - 10/23/2001 1:00 AM
Also, please check before posting next time. There was this thread on the same subject, not more than two glances away.
Posted By: Avaeq Re: Hack tutorial?? - 10/23/2001 11:11 PM
I don't mean how to INSTALL a hack, but how to hack!
What should be included: what is every file, what does it do, where can I find what function etc...

That's what I mean...
laugh
Posted By: Jamin Re: Hack tutorial?? - 10/23/2001 11:49 PM
For the vast majority of UBB's files, their names are pretty explanitory of their function. Ex: ubb_forum_summary.cgi controls the forum summary (main) page, ubb_lib_files.cgi (and others that have similar names) control the file i/o and stuff. Template files end in .pl and usually have matching or similar names to their .cgi program file counterparts - public_forum_summary.pl controls the display of the main page, and works closely with ubb_forum_summary.cgi.

Thus, if you see something that you want to add to the main page, all or most of your hacking should be in ubb_forum_summary.cgi (to create it) and public_forum_summary.pl (to display it). Anything that requires input/output to/from files should use ubb_lib_files.cgi.

There is not, to my knowledge, any actual list of the exact functions of every single file, or a list of all the variables/functions of UBB and their corresponding files. No one wants to do that. If you think you want to hack, that should be stuff you oughta be able to figure out by yourself. If you can't figure it out, you probably shouldn't be messing with stuff anyway.

Look in our 6.1 Mods forums (not sure which one exactly) for some notes Charles Capps (UBB's primary programmer) posted about proper hacking in 6.1 as far as file handling and things such as that.

---Skorpion
Posted By: Avaeq Re: Hack tutorial?? - 10/24/2001 8:46 PM
ok, thanks!
© UBB.Developers