UBB.Dev
Posted By: jlm Security Groups - 05/01/2003 11:06 PM
In ubb.x you have the ability to set security groups. The advantage of this I found was to keep my administrators out of the manager's room. Well now I'm on ubb.classic 6.5 and there are only 3 security levels? Member,Moderator,and Admin. So that means the administrators will be able to access my manager's room. How can I prevent them from entering this room without taking away their adminstrator level.

thanks!
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Security Groups - 05/01/2003 11:44 PM
You don't. Admins are admins are admins. It would take some major code mangling to prevent this from happening...
Posted By: jlm Re: Security Groups - 05/02/2003 12:31 PM
ok I'm not sure if this could be done, but could I insert a javascript login into the header insert for that forum? That way if they get the login wrong it forwards them back to the main page?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Security Groups - 05/02/2003 6:46 PM
What's to stop the user from turning off JS? smile

If you don't trust the people you've granted admin access to read a forum, then you should probably reconsider having them as admins...
Posted By: jlm Re: Security Groups - 05/02/2003 8:08 PM
As an easy fix for now I just put an HREF on the room title, which takes them to a cgi file that redirects them to the main page. So the only way to get into the room is with the exact address. I know this isn't a secure way at all, as the address can be figured out by looking at how other forums' addresses are structured.

Another quick question? How do I view the logfile if I want to know what change a mod or admin has made?
Posted By: Charles Capps Re: Security Groups - 05/02/2003 11:23 PM
Not all changes are logged to the point where you can determine what was changed... at best, you'll get a dump of the submitted data. The adminlog.cgi file in the BanLists directory is what you'll want to look at.
© UBB.Developers