UBB.Dev
Posted By: The Team Do I need Telnet to install on an NT server? - 07/31/2001 7:54 AM
Hi,
I am in the process of organizing my first install for threads and for various reasons need to install on an NT server that only has FTP access, no Telnet.
Is Telnet imperative?
Can my ISP manually help me through the install?
Thanks,
JR
Posted By: Rick Re: Do I need Telnet to install on an NT server? - 08/01/2001 5:08 AM
Telnet isn't necessary. You can edit your config files and trasnfer everything via ftp and then bring up the createtable script in your browser. Your host will probably need to setup your database for you and grant the permissions, but other than that you should be ok.
Does that go for a UNIX server as well? I don't have a clue about Telnet, but would like to install the PHP version of WWWthreads on a server running Redhat. (PHP4 and mySQL are available).
Yes, that applies to UNIX servers as well. All your editable files can be edited locally and uploaded, and your database table create and modification scripts can all be run from the browser. And for any database management issues, you can use a GUI-based program like PHPMyAdmin, or other equivalent utility.
© UBB.Developers