UBB.Dev
Posted By: KLB Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/07/2002 7:20 PM
when unregistered posters post, I would like to leave the box where posters fill in their name blank rather than have it say "anonymous" and have it request a user name if they fail to fill in the field. The reason is that people are forgetting to change the Anonymous and are constantly leaving second messages with their name. Is there a way to do this? Many thanks.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/07/2002 7:27 PM
you can set your config options so they fill in their name... I don't normally let anon users post, so I am not too familiar with how it works
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/07/2002 8:38 PM
It pulls the word Anonymous from one of the language files.....

I'll look at this.

You would prefer for no name to be filled in when an anonymous user posts?
Posted By: fishtails Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/08/2002 3:11 AM
I plan on doing this as well, but the key here is to have a check when they hit submit to ensure that the user did enter a name (i.e. a required field, can't be left blank) of some sort, and if not they are redirected back to the post form, partially filled out with their post, and highlight what is missing (the error). Then they enter a name and resubmit.

Hmm. I wonder, I haven't tried it, but I'm sure that if the subject is not filled out there's an error message, is there not?
edit
I just checked on my natca site, and there is a check for completeness of the form, including the user name, so this should be real easy just by editing the language file as previously stated, and nothing else needs to be done.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/08/2002 3:33 AM
I wrote this up and posted it here in the Beta Mods Forum.

Simple Tweak.

The fields come up blank for replies and new posts.... yet if they don't fill it in, it tells them all the required fields are not filled in and they have to go back.

Hope that helps.

Josh
Posted By: fishtails Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/08/2002 3:41 AM
man, you got lightning fingers. lol I barely had time to open the files to have a look and you're done!
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/08/2002 4:32 AM
I'm everywhere I'm everywhere! LOL

I LOVE Caffeine!
Posted By: KLB Re: Leaving "anonymous" field blank - 10/08/2002 4:41 PM
Worked perfectly - thanks so much!
© UBB.Developers