UBB.Dev
Posted By: ehm Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 9:26 PM
I'm using Norton Firewall.
Every time I want to sent e-mail I have to 'disable' my firewall, otherwise I cannot post.
Anyone with the same problem?

Elton
Posted By: JustDave Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 9:38 PM
Your referer information is being blocked, most likely. If there is an option to disable/enable referer information you should enable it.

Or, turn off referer checking in your configure settings.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 9:47 PM
You might wish to copy and post this document on your site to help your users adjust their settings.
Posted By: ehm Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 10:28 PM
OK... my bad I didn't explain well.
I'm having problem to post on THIS forum here (www.ubbdev.com), not on mine

The message I'm receiving is
The host you are trying to send the input from is not a valid host.
So, I can I fix my side of my firewall, in order to post here.
Every post I'm doing here I have to disable my firewall first.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 10:36 PM
Right. You got it Exactly. .... then you can follow those instructions for yourself. You need to add this site to let it pass the referer information.

Since this is a hacker site... and we've been hacked before. The referer check will always be in place here.
Posted By: ehm Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 10:37 PM
Changed my firewall..
Testing a post...
Posted By: ehm Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 10:42 PM
OK. Is working now.
Just let me add a little changes on the instructions for Norton 2003 (the instructions on that page are for Norton 2002):
For Norton Internet Security:

1. Open Norton Internet Security.
2. Click Options.
3. Click Internet Security (or Personal Firewall).
[:"red"] 4. Click Web Content [/] .

6. Click Add Site. A new site/domain box appears.
7. Enter the url of the site that you want to receive the referrer information (www.ThisSite.com) and click OK. That site name appears in the left frame of the Advanced Options window.
8. Click the name of the new site.
[:"red"] 9. Click the Global Settings tab.
10. Uncheck "Information about visited sites --> Use default settings"
11 . Check 'Permit' under " Information about visited sites "

12. Click OK
13. Close Norton Personal Firewall
[/]
Posted By: ehm Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 10:46 PM
[] You need to add this site to let it pass the referer information.

Since this is a hacker site... and we've been hacked before. The referer check will always be in place here. [/]

Can you tell me the benefits and how I use it for changing my site to pass referer information?
I disabled it on my own forum, since most of the user start complain they could not post, but I didn't think about security issues. Now you open the can of worms
If you don't mind to give me a few lines on the pros and cons...
Posted By: JustDave Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 10:56 PM
Checking the referer ensures that the information being sent to your scripts originated from your site and not elsewhere. If the referer check is not used then it's easier for someone to send your scripts information from another site.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Firewall problem - 01/26/2003 11:18 PM
Thanks for the instruction updates... I will update the documents soon.
Posted By: ehm Re: Firewall problem - 01/27/2003 6:07 AM
There was nothing new there... I just re-wrote, using the new terms from Norton 2003, because all was already right, just using the old terms
Posted By: Mayoff Re: Firewall problem - 01/27/2003 6:42 AM
[]Checking the referer ensures that the information being sent to your scripts originated from your site and not elsewhere. If the referer check is not used then it's easier for someone to send your scripts information from another site. [/]

How would someone identify that this has happened. I was getting sick of people emailing me that they could not post, so I turned off our referer check
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Firewall problem - 01/27/2003 7:40 AM
Someone could make a script to flood your board with posts (spam) automatically.

I usually run with it off... as I think the odds are rare. Typically I think you are OK to run with it off. But threadsdev has been a target in the past, so it's on here.
Posted By: ChAoS_dup1 Re: Firewall problem - 01/30/2003 8:23 AM
Josh I noticed that a friends board that is running UBB version 5.45c has an antiflood filter.I can only post once per minute (or two I forget) Is that a feature of the board or some sort of add on? Would this be an advantage to have in UBBThreads?
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Firewall problem - 01/30/2003 8:27 AM
I believe some sort of flood protection is in the works for threads... not sure which version tho.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Firewall problem - 01/30/2003 8:30 AM
Yeah, that prevents someone from being able to post messages fast... sorta slows them down, and thereby helps guard against spam.

I thought I saw someone here talk of a hack. But I know it's a feature of Classic.

Although I post so much... I've had it tell me to slow down at Allen's board. But perhaps I post faster than most.
Posted By: AllenAyres Re: Firewall problem - 01/30/2003 8:33 AM
heheh... ubb.classic also has a 'registering' flood check - someone developed a script that would register hundreds of names per minute. It overwhelmed the server and files and began over-writing old usernames. ubbdev got to be the guinea pig that proved it was needed... eejits
© UBB.Developers