UBB.Dev
Posted By: Liahona_dup1 Guests see main category page only? - 02/03/2003 7:49 PM
Hi all

Is it possible to have the main category page shown to [:"red"]guests[/]

[:"red"]BUT...[/]

(I want them to see the forum NAME on the category page.)

1. Stop them from clicking on a forum and reading.

or

2. When they click on a forum it takes them to a login page.

Read only still allows them to view the forums list.

If not would I have to make duplicate categories/forums for all guests, or has someone got any bright ideas as how to go about it.

Thanks
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Guests see main category page only? - 02/03/2003 7:55 PM
I would say that you can change the hyperlink of the forum based on their status (logged in or not). So a pseudo code of that would be:

If ( $user['U_Username'] )
{
$Output = "<a href="forumurl">Forum Name</a>";
}
else
{
$Output = "<a href="$phpurl/login.php$Cat=$Cat">Forum Name</a>";
}

I hope this helps

Nikos
Posted By: Liahona_dup1 Re: Guests see main category page only? - 02/03/2003 8:30 PM
Hi Nikos

Good...How/where what file, as I have never found where to change the forum link.

Thanks
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Guests see main category page only? - 02/03/2003 8:31 PM
You also could create teaser forums like described here.
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Guests see main category page only? - 02/03/2003 8:38 PM
You need to work on the ubbthreads.php which is the main file for displaying categories and posts. If you want to allow guests to even see the list of posts and then point them to the login screen then the file you should be looking at is postlist.php.

Alternatively you can follow Josh's advice as per the teaser forums.

Nikos
Posted By: Liahona_dup1 Re: Guests see main category page only? - 02/03/2003 8:53 PM
Hi Nikos, Josh

I will have a boggle about later with both sugestions.

Thanks
Posted By: Liahona_dup1 Re: Guests see main category page only? - 02/04/2003 1:29 AM
Hi Nikos, Josh

To complicated for me right now, will try later when more time, have IIP as well to think about when displaying some pals?

Thanks for now.
© UBB.Developers