UBB.Dev
Posted By: Duncan Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 3:05 PM
I had a quick look on the search facility here but couldn't find anything to help answer my question.

I'd like to create a Threads site with three levels of membership. Bronze, Silver and Gold with each level having particular access to set forums/categories. Gold would have access all areas but Bronze just limited access for example.

Is this possible to do on Threads? If so, do you know of any threads on Threadsdev that will help me look up how to do this?

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Astaran Re: Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 3:09 PM
You can make a group for bronze, silver and gold members and give them different rights (forum specific).
Possible rights are:

No access
Read only
Read and reply only
Read and write

Is that what are you looking for?
You can edit these settings in your admin panel under "edit forum". You can specify the right for each usergroup seperately.

If not, in which way to you want to limit the access?
Posted By: Duncan Re: Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 4:47 PM
Yes that's the kind of thing Astaran. On my board at koptalk.org which Allen set-up for me, I have the groups for guests, registered, mods, admin etc so if it worked like that, where I could give different access levels etc to different members, it would be just what I am looking for.
Posted By: omegatron Re: Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 4:55 PM
Go ahead to your admin section and create the new groups. Then go to each respective forum and set the group access levels as in who can do what in each forum. Example is if someone registers new they would not see forum5 but if say they pay or whatever you have in mind then you would give them the access by adding them to a special group. So thus when you have users you need special access to different things you edit them and move them into whatever group you want. Thus they would see the forum no one else can see. It is rather easy. It is the same way a admin or moderator can only see the admin forum if you have one set up on your site. The same theory for any other forum.
Posted By: Duncan Re: Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 5:23 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a play around with this. I'm not that clued up with Threads yet as I'm scared that I wipe the lot

We have a subscription site now but that is on UBB Classic and I'm converting it to UBB Threads but need to have various levels of membership.

Basically the subscription site pays for our free site.

Thanks again.
Posted By: omegatron Re: Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 5:55 PM
Well there is a hack here I beleive by Josh that will automate placing the user into a certain group when they pay. Setting up the groups are rather easy. If you run into any trouble just hollar.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Creating different groups? - 07/14/2003 10:01 PM
JustDave and I are working on a Professional Product - which will integrate with UBB.Threads and offer the ability for users to signup and gain access to forums and groups using PayPal subscriptions.
It will automatically add users to the group when they singup and remove them if they cancel and/or their subscription expires. It'll be a total subscription management system, and with update - other payment services may be added.
After looking into a few of the other payment servies requested over at Infopop community, JustDave has been going back through and changing things a bit so that updates and additional payment services will be easier to add in.

I'm going on a vacation Wednesday for a week - when I get back, we expect to begin live testing at one of my sites. JustDave has been working like a maniac on it lately.

We will have an online demo to look at too - I just don't think our site is "ready for prime time" yet until we hammer out a few more details.

But stay tuned. We will soon have a total solution for offering subscriptions on your site.
© UBB.Developers