UBB.Dev
Posted By: santana How much RAM do I need... - 09/03/2003 12:32 PM
I am currently using

Linux OS Kernel 2.4.20-20.9
Apache 1.3.28
Intel Pentium IV 2.4Ghz
512MB DDR

for my forum which has:
2,500 users daily (200 users max at the same time)
300,000 posts

The CPU is so over loaded.

Anyone has any solution for this?

Thanks
Posted By: Ian_W Re: How much RAM do I need... - 09/03/2003 12:48 PM
You can never have enough memory - so if you are able to up that to 1 or even 2mb it would help - but I would also look at optimizing MySQL and maybe upgrading PHP etc. (not sure what versions you are running) See https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat...5/o/all/fpart/1 for Jeremy's thread on tuning MySQL.

Also is this the only site/script on the server - that might be another problem - are you running any other scripts as part of the site to affect the CPU load. What load are you getting?
Posted By: slayer60 Re: How much RAM do I need... - 09/03/2003 4:14 PM
I would recommend more than 1 or 2mb. I think you need at least 1 or 2 GB

For the amount of online users it definately seems that you would want to at least double or triple your current RAM. And what Ian said about upgrading MySQL if you're running 3.X.
Posted By: msula Re: How much RAM do I need... - 09/03/2003 4:59 PM
RAM is MySQL's best friend

Really, at minimum you should have 1GB of ram, and with 200 users online at a time, having more would only be better. RAM is cheap, so that is the best place to upgrade before upgrading elsewhere.

Also, what version of MySQL? That is very important as well. If you aren't using version 4.x, you really should consider upgrading as it will increase performance a ton as well bring server loads down.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: How much RAM do I need... - 09/03/2003 5:28 PM
LOL - you mean that things have moved on from 640k Sorry meant 1 - 2GB of course
Posted By: santana Re: How much RAM do I need... - 09/04/2003 7:16 AM
Hello Ian, Slayer and Jeremy

I am using 4.0.14-standard mySQL version.

Thanks for the info above. I am going to add another 512MB RAM to try.
Would dual proc help? I have 1 box with dual 1Ghz PIII

Btw, my website is currently the only one hosted at that machine.

Thanks
© UBB.Developers