UBB.Dev
Posted By: Harold Switching hosts - 12/08/2003 12:29 AM
I can't seem to find anything that will give me step by step instructions or hints on how to move a board to another host. What I'd like to know is if I can just move the files over as is, then the mysql DB? Also, will I be able to log into admin after the move to change the host server location and the mysql server info? I don't have php myadmin at my current host, I'm using Mysql Front to manually backup the DB every day, as my host has been very flaky.

Thanks.
Posted By: msula Re: Switching hosts - 12/08/2003 12:47 AM
Moving hosts is essentially what you just said. Copy the files over, import the database data, and don't forget, your new host will likely have different paths, so you will need to edit your config file, main.inc.php, etc with the new paths, and any possible database name or login changes. But otherwise it should be as simple as that.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Switching hosts - 12/08/2003 12:53 AM
Also check your permissions after the move - otherwise you might have problems - very easy to overlook.
Posted By: msula Re: Switching hosts - 12/08/2003 12:59 AM
Yep, Ian is right, if you aren't creating a tarball from your current host, and untarring it on your new one, permissions will not be intact usually, so you will have to go through and CHMOD the proper directories just like it was a new installation, otherwise you won't be able to upload avatars, pics, edit stylesheets or templates, etc.
Posted By: Harold Re: Switching hosts - 12/08/2003 1:46 AM
That's what I was hoping. Maybe I can get this done and save the harder stuff for Josh. I think he might be busy when he gets back from vacation.

Posted By: JoshPet Re: Switching hosts - 12/14/2003 11:15 PM
This may help you as well:
http://www.infopop.com/support/ubbthreads/UBBthreads_backup_transfer.html

I just got back and will be a few days reading/catching up.
Posted By: Harold Re: Switching hosts - 12/18/2003 9:29 AM
Thanks. I gave up and decided to let an expert tackle the job. My wife is willing to have us pay so that I have time to help with the dishes and stuff like that.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Switching hosts - 12/18/2003 10:07 AM
And we have just successfully and smoothly moved you to your new web host.

Enjoy your new "virtual" home.
Posted By: smoknz28 Re: Switching hosts - 12/18/2003 7:42 PM
[]Harold said:
Thanks. I gave up and decided to let an expert tackle the job. My wife is willing to have us pay so that I have time to help with the dishes and stuff like that. [/]

Bwahahahaa.....
© UBB.Developers