UBB.Dev
Posted By: smoknz28 Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 4:09 AM
I'd like to know how I can change the width of my top menu. I've included a snap of what I'm typing about.

I've already gone into ubbt_registerednav.tmpl and changed some of the settings in there, but non of them changed the actually width of the entire menu bar.

Thanks for your help on this one...

[]http://members.cox.net/gonzo_family/misc/menu_width.gif[/]
Posted By: scroungr Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 5:07 AM
need to set your table width in the admin panel correctly. make it like 50%..
Posted By: smoknz28 Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 5:17 AM
Ack, when I change my Table Width in the "Edit theme settings" to the 50% you recommended...it made it all too narrow.

I changed it to 95% now. I don't know why you recommended I change that setting to 50%. Maybe I'm not understanding things here...
Posted By: scroungr Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 5:20 AM
that should have been 95.. I don't know where that 50 came from Seriously I was telling you where to change it not the percentage, thats different for everyone
Posted By: omegatron Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 5:38 AM
Actually if you want to stick with 95 and not 100 cause your sidebar is sticking out you may want to surround the forum with a fixed table width so the sidebar does not break out.
Posted By: smoknz28 Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 7:19 AM
[]Omegatron said:
Actually if you want to stick with 95 and not 100 cause your sidebar is sticking out you may want to surround the forum with a fixed table width so the sidebar does not break out. [/]

Eeeesh, and can you give me some guidance on this one? Come on Chuck, you know I'm slow here.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 10:22 AM
A fixed table size breaks the calendar and my home page.

I think in the sidebar instructions, there's a tip that it really only looks *good* if you set your table width to 100% otherwise you always have a percentage of another percentage and nothing lines up right.
Posted By: scroungr Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 8:16 PM
yeah I could never get it to line up 100 percent even with a table.. I like mine the way it is though and no one complains
Posted By: omegatron Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 8:43 PM
You misunderstood what I am saying.

In threads if you put a 100% width that is correct. I am saying that on some sites no matter what you do the sidebar causes things to break out of the 100% and you get a scroll bar. If you do not want a scroll far on your site you do the following.

You set threads to 100% width

You then place this in your header.php before anything

<table align="center" width="WIDTH HERE" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td>

and in the footer.php after everything

</td>
</tr>
</table>

But yes Josh setting Threads to a fixed width makes things look yucky with sidebar etc but that is not what I said above. I have encountered on many sites no matter what you did with the sidebar you get a scroll bar depending on their content. If someone wants their forum to be 750 width yes with a fixed width and sidebar etc it looks terrible but if you surround threads with a set table and set threads to 100% it views fine.
Posted By: scroungr Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 8:46 PM
Thanx Omego I knew what ya meant it still looked yucky on my site so I left it alone. It may be setup dependent. He should try it.
Posted By: omegatron Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 8:47 PM
LOL Yeah I thought everyone thought I meant set Threads to a fixed width. You know though so I dont mind a slight scroll.

However if someone wants to try it I suggest a fixed table width of no less than 900 if your sidebar scrolls your page. 800 will make the sidebar look a little tiny.
Posted By: smoknz28 Re: Top Menu Width - How To Change? - 01/25/2004 8:47 PM
I'll give it a shot guys...

Thanks
© UBB.Developers