UBB.Dev
Hi All,
For a few years I run UBBThreads and a MySql database on a computer at home.
I now desided to move it to an official Webhoster.
I did a fresh install on the website and everything works well.
But...how do I put the content of the forum into the new install?
I also tried to make a dump of the old database ans recover that on the new one.
It all gives errors.
Anyhow..The question is: how can I completly move the forum to the new place with all the content????
Problem is...I am a newbie at databases!!!
Yeah, moving the forum files doesn't move any data - for that you need to dump the database (backup) from the old server and import it into MySQL on the new server.

You can do this with command line access (best). Intructions here:
http://www.ubbcentral.com/support/docs/ubbthreads/UBBthreads_backup_transfer.html

Or use something like phpMyAdmin on each server to export the database and import it on your new server.

On the new server, if you did a fresh install, that'll probably confuse things, you'll probably need to drop the tables in the database you created for the new install.... so it's an empty database ready for your old data.
[]JoshPet said:

Or use something like phpMyAdmin on each server to export the database and import it on your new server.

On the new server, if you did a fresh install, that'll probably confuse things, you'll probably need to drop the tables in the database you created for the new install.... so it's an empty database ready for your old data. [/]

That's what I did.
When I do a fresh install it also makes a new database structuur next to the structuur I restored.

When I remove all what is in the database and than I restore the backup all I get is errors.
[]
When I remove all what is in the database and than I restore the backup all I get is errors. [/]

The specifics of that is what will probably give the best clues.

Depending on the dump - if the tables already exist, you'll get errors when it tries to recreate the tables.

Unless you specifically only dumped data - and not structure and data.... or didn't include the 'drop tables' when making your backup.

Typically, it needs a totally empty database to import to. No tables, no data. Empty.
also if you have any mods that affected the database you may have to put them in the threads install in basically the same place as they were...
I am Nearly There!

The thing was that all tables where written With capitals and the old table where not:
for example w3t_users versus w3t_Users.
So the data couldn't find a maching table to put it in.

However, I still have one problem.
When I click "myHome" this error shows up:

SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/videomontageforum.nl/httpdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 131

If you want to see it this is the url:
http://www.videomontageforum.nl/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
It is in Dutch and "MyHome" is "mijn Profiel".
Thanks for any help!!!
need ya to go to where the mysql logs are and get the actual error that will point you and us in the right direction.
I desided to start over again.
How can it be that I cannot delete all files from the server?
probably not chmodded for your user acct. check the ownership and make sure the files you want to delete are set 644 or 666. if admin you can also chowner of the files.
Posted By: foppen Everything is OK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! - 02/19/2004 1:40 PM
[]foppen said:

The thing was that all tables where written With capitals and the old table where not:
for example w3t_users versus w3t_Users.
So the data couldn't find a maching table to put it in.

However, I still have one problem.
When I click "myHome" this error shows up:

SQL ERROR: Database error only visible to forum administrators
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/videomontageforum.nl/httpdocs/ubbthreads/mysql.inc.php on line 131

[/]

I finaly got the whole thing working.
It took a while before I saw the the difference between AdressBook and Adressbook.
I also had the troubel that some other programm used an other database and had to put in the same database as UbbTreads
But it worked.
Now I am going to put in all the hacks that I was using before.
Thanks all for the help.
www.videomontageforum.nl
© UBB.Developers