UBB.Dev
Posted By: jma Threads 6.2 to 6.4 - 03/23/2004 6:51 PM
My board is down now for server maintenance and I am planning to upgrade to 6.4.

Anyone see a problem with this move? Is there any way to find out exactly which files will be affected?
Regards.
Posted By: Rick Re: Threads 6.2 to 6.4 - 03/23/2004 7:12 PM
Shouldn't be a problem with the upgrade. Make sure you back up your database before you start. Since you're going to be upgrading 2 full versions basically every file has been changed. The CHANGEDFILES.txt gives you an idea of what files have changed, but this is going to end up being a complete upgrade for you where no file will go untouched.
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Threads 6.2 to 6.4 - 03/23/2004 8:34 PM
Yeah, with a jump like that it is best to start with clean files and rehack them. I do that for any major upgrade.
Posted By: jma Re: Threads 6.2 to 6.4 - 03/23/2004 9:05 PM
Thanks to you both for you input. Certainly if there are any pitfuls to keep clear of, don't hesitate to let me know.

Joe.
Posted By: slayer60 Re: Threads 6.2 to 6.4 - 03/23/2004 10:55 PM
6.2-6.3 went smoothly for me and elimated one the hacks I had installed. I haven't upgraded to 6.4 yet. I probally won't upgrade until 6.5(which will elimate the need for a couple more hacks), money thing. But, there are just 2 basics when upgrading. Backup your database, and backup your files. I only backed up my database the first time I did it and blew out my board rules, custom headers, etc. and someone(I'm not naming names, but this person now has blue hair) deleted my more recent local copy and I was left with only an old archive that didn't have alot of my custom stuff.

Also, do a practice upgrade first, if you can. Duplicate your database and make another install on site adjusting the config file. Then run the upgrade script on your test DB and then upload you 6.4 files. That should let you know if you are going to have any problems upgrading without putting your production site in any peril.

My 2 cents.
© UBB.Developers