UBB.Dev
Posted By: RANCH4x4_dup1 word censor - 04/16/2004 6:35 AM
I notice the bad word censor does not filter out characters like '$'.

Is $ some kind of escape character in php??
Posted By: JoshPet Re: word censor - 04/16/2004 6:36 AM
Yeah, special characters can really hose up your word filter. you can try placing a backslash before it to comment it out

ie if you want to censor "a$$" try this: "a\$\$". Untested, but that might work.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: word censor - 04/16/2004 6:38 AM
Nope that doesn't work. The backslash trick works for slashes.

I had a client today in fact that put: "b/c" in their badwords file. Anytime there's a slash like that, every post and subject ends up totally blank. You have to use "b\/c". But that trick doesn't work with the dollar sign.
Posted By: RANCH4x4_dup1 Re: word censor - 04/16/2004 6:57 AM
Gotcha, thanks for the info.
Posted By: navaho Re: word censor - 04/16/2004 11:19 PM
just off the top of my head, how about if you quote it, to make it a literal.

I'm pretty sure that 6.5 handles the censor list differently and characters such as $ will behave properly
Posted By: AKD96 Re: word censor - 04/17/2004 3:01 AM
I tried censoring variants for words before with interesting results. I think it was sh!t that I tried to censor, that ended up sensoring st., as in the abbreviation for saint and street.
Posted By: Rhett Re: word censor - 02/25/2006 1:42 AM
is there any more info on what exactly the special characters are how you can use them in the bad words list in 6.4?

The back-slash does not work on the $. The word sh!t gets filtered just fine, though. Putting things like "$hit" in double quotes doesn't help either.

I guess I'm looking for the escape character and a list of special characters. Thanks.
Posted By: Rhett Re: word censor - 03/11/2006 3:07 AM
Bump. Anyone have any info on what the "special characters" are and how to use them in the bad word list?

[]Rhett said:
is there any more info on what exactly the special characters are how you can use them in the bad words list in 6.4?

The back-slash does not work on the $. The word sh!t gets filtered just fine, though. Putting things like "$hit" in double quotes doesn't help either.

I guess I'm looking for the escape character and a list of special characters. Thanks. [/]
© UBB.Developers