UBB.Dev
Posted By: TonyN jump to unread problem - 07/22/2004 10:20 PM
Hi - recently I've noticed a problem when clicking on a thread that I've been to before, but that has some new post(s) that I want to look at.

1) It seems to me that previously, when I clicked on the subject of such a thread, I would go immediately to the posts I hadn't read Now, however, I go to the beginning of the showflat page, which I've already read. Is this a change from previous versions of threads?

2)Furthermore, now there is often (or always) a link to "jump to first unread post", which I don't remember seeing earlier. When I click on that, it does indeed take me to the posts I haven't read. BUT, if I then want to back up to the postlist page, the back button on my browser doesn't work. I therefore have to scroll up to the TOP of the postlist page and click on the forum name, which obviates the advantage of the jump link in the first place. Secondly, it I want to back up to the category page, since I can't use the BACK button to get there, I have to click on the category, and - guess what - it doesn't take me to that category. Instead it takes me to the TOP of the main index, so I have to scroll back down to the category I was in.

I don't remember all of this from before. Is it due to some (perhaps ill-advised) changes present in the beta?

Thanks - Tony

PS I did a search to see if this had been discussed but got hundreds of listings, so if this has been discussed before, please direct me to the right place.
Posted By: navaho Re: jump to unread problem - 07/22/2004 10:36 PM
[]I don't remember all of this from before. Is it due to some changes present in the beta?[/]

It is due to the fact that it is beta, and thus not yet finished. The next beta does not have this behaviour, it is back to what you expect and are used to.
Posted By: TonyN Re: jump to unread problem - 07/24/2004 11:01 PM
OK...thanks
Posted By: J.C. Re: jump to unread problem - 07/24/2004 11:53 PM
Nav, some kind of post on ubbc, might be a good idea as this is a recurring question lately. I would have done so but I'm always cautious of what to say etc.. cause I'm a tester etc..
Posted By: slayer60 Re: jump to unread problem - 07/26/2004 10:05 PM
And so that you can more easily navigate until this site gets its next upgrade. Clicking the yellow arrow next to subject on the postlist page will take you to the first unread post.

Also, if you click the post title, then click on the jump to first post link, you simply need to click the back button twice to get back to the post lists. Two "pages", two clicks.
Posted By: TonyN Re: jump to unread problem - 07/26/2004 10:42 PM
thanks for reminding me about the little arrow...that helps!

[]slayer60 said:
Also, if you click the post title, then click on the jump to first post link, you simply need to click the back button twice to get back to the post lists. Two "pages", two clicks. [/]

However, as for the suggestion cited above, 2 clicks brings me the same place one does, i.e., it stays at the bottom of the showflat page, and doesn't go back to the postlist...did you mean something else?

Anyway, the first suggestion works if I can manage to point at the little arrow.

Tony
Posted By: slayer60 Re: jump to unread problem - 07/26/2004 11:45 PM
Maybe its your browser. I am using Moz Firefox 0.9 on Win2k Pro and it gives the behaviour I described.
Posted By: TonyN Re: jump to unread problem - 07/27/2004 10:08 PM
I use Netscape 7 with windows XP
Posted By: slayer60 Re: jump to unread problem - 07/27/2004 10:12 PM
[]TonyN said:
I use Netscape 7 with windows XP [/]
Weeeell there's your problem
Posted By: JoshPet Re: jump to unread problem - 07/28/2004 7:01 AM
Ack - I didn't think anyone still used Netscape.
Posted By: scroungr Re: jump to unread problem - 07/28/2004 8:40 AM
I use Mozilla which is basically Netscape
Posted By: JoshPet Re: jump to unread problem - 07/28/2004 9:05 AM
Me too. Haven't seen much "netscape" itself since Mozilla became so popular. Mozilla has developed so much past Netscape. I really like it and rarely encounter any compatibility issues anymore.
© UBB.Developers