UBB.Dev
Posted By: Kel Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/24/2004 3:57 AM
I want to disable the Who's Online function for my board. Is there a way to do this?
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/24/2004 4:13 AM
You can edit the ubbt_registerednav.tmpl and ubbt_unregisterednav.tmpl and remove the hyperlinks referring to the online.php script. As a secondary precaution you can remove the script or rename it from your host.
Posted By: Kel Re: Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/24/2004 4:26 AM
Ok... so here's the next stupid question...

If I remove the hyperlink from the templates (I had thought of that already... ), will that stop the query completely? I know I'm not saying this right...

Ok... so even though the hyperlink is gone and no one is clinking on it to perform the query on the database, aren't there other files that run this query as part of their function? So even though the members themselves are not adding to the load, the software still is... even though the information is not displayed anywhere except at the bottom of the Main Index in the Extra Info.

Am I making sense? I want to stop the in-depth queries. I just want to know the basics... as provided in the Extra Info... how many registered users, how many unregistered users... and I don't care what their IP's are.
Posted By: Medar Re: Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/24/2004 8:59 AM
Unless you leave the online.php file on the server, the only queries that will occur is a query that will write the location of a member each time they move pages.

To remove that would take a bit of effort, and is really not worth the time.

As long as you comment out (or remove) the links to online.php in your NAV templates, and remove the online.php file from your server, you should be ok.
Posted By: dimopoulos Re: Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/24/2004 12:52 PM
Medar is correct. By removing the hyperlink you are not allowing anyone to see who is online. However in order to make the w3t_Online table not to be populated by any information whatsoever then you will need to make some changes to the code, mainly to ubbt.inc.php and partly to ubbthreads.php.

On the ubbt.inc.php you will need to comment out the sections where the w3t_Online table is populated while on the ubbthreads.php (and tmpl) you will need to get rid of the Max users online was.... and There are so and so registered members..

This approach will not only get rid of the Who's online pages (so even if anyone can see the page the data won't be there) but it will also reduce the queries in your database.
Posted By: ChAoS_dup1 Re: Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/24/2004 11:21 PM
Wow Sasha thats a busy board, I never knew there was such a following for what I take for granted.
Posted By: Kel Re: Turn OFF Who's Online? - 11/28/2004 5:28 AM
ChAoS... yes, it's quite the phenom! Never would have imagined it myself either and I actually laughed at the guy who originally started it up. Who'd have thought it would end up being my baby... and such a HUGE one at that!... when all I did was come on board to help out with the software. Now I'm just as "enlightened" as all the rest of them... and they are quite the bunch, that's for sure!
© UBB.Developers